Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Hello Washingtonians! I have a pretty large flock of Speckled Sussex (13 hens and 4 roosters). I rescued them last year from a neighbor and they are proving to be great fun and great layers.

I am currently looking to rehome 2 of our SS roosters (for breeding or pets)... I just don't have enough hens to go around! I've attached a picture of the 2 boys (Roo is on the left, Buck on the right), and can post more upon request - I think they would be good for SS breeding stock as they seems to fit the standard pretty well.

They are 9-months old, both are good with "the girls", not terribly vocal, and VERY tame (they enjoy sitting on my lap for cuddles). I would also be willing to part with 1-2 of my SS hens with each rooster for anyone that is looking to start a flock.

We are located in Kitsap County, but I would be willing to drive a fair distance for right home. Any takers??

Best Regards-

Wow, that's so cool! Wish we were allowed to have roosters in Tacoma, but sadly I cannot help you out. :(

Hi again everybody. As a newbie, I am having a hard time being patient for my first egg. Any suggestions on what I can do to help myself wait? Or any "tricks of the trade" to get them to start ;)

Also, since many of you are near my area and have similar weather and daylight, any advice on when you think they'll start?

Your signature says you got them on Sept 7, so that puts them at what... 20 weeks? You're getting closer, but it still may be a few more weeks. Are their combs turning bright red? And, when you walk up to them and hold your hand over their back, do they squat for you? When they start squatting, that means they are getting close.

Hi folks,
I'm new to the list and hoping to get my first chickens this Spring. I live east of Seattle. I've been doing an extensive amount of research and finally decided I wanted to build an arched run out of cattle panels (similar, but not identical, to this: http://survivalbunker.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=critters&action=display&thread=2545), but I cannot find anywhere local that has lower guage cattle panels that go for ~$20/each. I've called KIS in Redmond, Del's in Monroe, the Grange in Issaquah, McLendon's in Bothell, and visited Home Depot. Only Del's and the Grange have them, but for $35 and $46 respectively, so one assumes they are higher guage, which I don't need, are probably harder to work with, and make this project significantly more expensive.. Anybody have a source for these types of panels? Or ideas about how to find them?
Thanks for any help,
Jill

Your signature says you got them on Sept 7, so that puts them at what... 20 weeks? You're getting closer, but it still may be a few more weeks. Are their combs turning bright red? And, when you walk up to them and hold your hand over their back, do they squat for you? When they start squatting, that means they are getting close.

Thanks for noticing my signature!
jumpy.gif

They're about 21 weeks old today, and I did notice the squatting a few weeks ago. They're still sassy and liking to run away from me all the time when I am trying to grab them, but when I do get my hands around them, they do sort of squat down and it makes grabbing them easier. The key is getting close enough to grab them! I held them constantly as babies to try to make them more interested in being held, but it doesn't seem to have worked :)

They do seem to be reddening too, I just don't know what else I can do to get them ready :)
537120_10100404142492260_37328591_n.jpg

You can't tell totally, but all three of them are roosting (yes, I did "instagram this photo, so the color is a little more vibrant than it is in real life, but their combs look very red to me).

What do y'all think???

Thank you! I wish I had more room so that I could keep them both. They are both so sweet and treat me like their number one hen! Roo even took a nap with me once.... I was just beat one day working on some home renovations, laid down on the floor to take a rest for a few minutes... the few minutes turned into more like an hour, and when I woke up I found Roo snuggled up to me with his neck draped over my arm - out like a light. No joke... he was actually spooning with me!

Hi again everybody. As a newbie, I am having a hard time being patient for my first egg. Any suggestions on what I can do to help myself wait? Or any "tricks of the trade" to get them to start ;)

Also, since many of you are near my area and have similar weather and daylight, any advice on when you think they'll start?

How old?
Are you using any sort of artificial light?

Most chickens begin laying between 5 and 8 months old depending on when they were hatched. They need at least 14 hours of daylight, more daylight is better. One of the "daylight" floresent light bulbs for indoors works great in a coop set on a timer to be on from say 4pm til 8pm. Giving them a long day of light.
Also black sunflower seeds helps them lay eggs and prevents them from getting egg bound.

Back
Top Bottom