Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Sooooo, I have a LF Cochin mix that has a Prolapse
th.gif
! I have not yet decided if I want to try and fix it or if I want to just put her out of her misery.
She has had this for about 2 or so weeks but I don't really handle my girls and so I did not realize that this is what was wrong with her. I did notice that she was basicly pooping on herself (butt fluff has white poo stuck to it.) but could not catch her to figure it out. Finally I caught her yesterday and flipped her upside down to check out her rump.There it was, a little bit of pink blob sticking out just a bit. Because she has not been feeling well plus a bit of poo, her tail feathers are hanging down, which is a good thing, that way the other chickens do not see the PINK sticking out. If they did they would peck at it until it bled and would make things a lot worse.

What to do, what to do!?

Cynthia & Jill:
welcome-byc.gif
This thread is AWESOME! Just sayin...

Your signature says you got them on Sept 7, so that puts them at what... 20 weeks? You're getting closer, but it still may be a few more weeks. Are their combs turning bright red? And, when you walk up to them and hold your hand over their back, do they squat for you? When they start squatting, that means they are getting close.

One of my BA's started squatting! And one of my little BR's squats all the time, I walk up to it and stop and she squats, but she's the one that always tried to escape the brooder and follow me around the kitchen. lol... Stinker pooped EVERYWHERE!

Wow, that's so cool! Wish we were allowed to have roosters in Tacoma, but sadly I cannot help you out. :(
I wish we could have them too! Those boys are sure beautiful!

Thanks for noticing my signature!
jumpy.gif

They're about 21 weeks old today, and I did notice the squatting a few weeks ago. They're still sassy and liking to run away from me all the time when I am trying to grab them, but when I do get my hands around them, they do sort of squat down and it makes grabbing them easier. The key is getting close enough to grab them! I held them constantly as babies to try to make them more interested in being held, but it doesn't seem to have worked :)

They do seem to be reddening too, I just don't know what else I can do to get them ready :)
537120_10100404142492260_37328591_n.jpg

You can't tell totally, but all three of them are roosting (yes, I did "instagram this photo, so the color is a little more vibrant than it is in real life, but their combs look very red to me).

What do y'all think???

Your girls are absolutely beautiful! Even if you enhanced the pics, cuties as pullets too. And I have to agree with ChickAudie, I think most of our experts are out and about.

Thank you! I wish I had more room so that I could keep them both. They are both so sweet and treat me like their number one hen! Roo even took a nap with me once.... I was just beat one day working on some home renovations, laid down on the floor to take a rest for a few minutes... the few minutes turned into more like an hour, and when I woke up I found Roo snuggled up to me with his neck draped over my arm - out like a light. No joke... he was actually spooning with me!
yuckyuck.gif

So... I think I missed the answer to my BOSS questions. How much should you give them? and how? I'm still trying to integrate better feeding & watering methods into my coop. Please chime in: Do you have more than one feeder? One with feed & one with scratch/etc? What about oyster shells & grits? How do you all incorporate that? I've been thinking, if I have a feeder with feed & grains, a feeder with scratch & BOSS, and some smaller feeders of grit & oyster shells. Does that sound about right?

Also, who uses poultry nipples for their waterers? Does anyone use bedding pellets? And that PDZ (??) stuff, is that like granules or pellets or what does it look like? I was kinda thinking of mixing some of my lavender and herbs in with it to make the coop smell pretty.
big_smile.png

Will someone take me chicken shopping!? I have NO idea what I am doing!!!!
barnie.gif

Sooooo, I have a LF Cochin mix that has a Prolapse
th.gif
! I have not yet decided if I want to try and fix it or if I want to just put her out of her misery.
She has had this for about 2 or so weeks but I don't really handle my girls and so I did not realize that this is what was wrong with her. I did notice that she was basicly pooping on herself (butt fluff has white poo stuck to it.) but could not catch her to figure it out. Finally I caught her yesterday and flipped her upside down to check out her rump.There it was, a little bit of pink blob sticking out just a bit. Because she has not been feeling well plus a bit of poo, her tail feathers are hanging down, which is a good thing, that way the other chickens do not see the PINK sticking out. If they did they would peck at it until it bled and would make things a lot worse.

What to do, what to do!?

Ohhhhh! I would help her, but I don't really know what a "prolapse" is, and sometimes relieving misery is the best option. Will it come back if you "fix it"?

This thread says "honey": https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/793/please-help-my-chicken-with-prolapse

Last edited:
[COLOR=0000CD]Sooooo, I have a LF Cochin mix that has a Prolapse [/COLOR]
th.gif
[COLOR=0000CD]! I have not yet decided if I want to try and fix it or if I want to just put her out of her misery.[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000CD]She has had this for about 2 or so weeks but I don't really handle my girls and so I did not realize that this is what was wrong with her. I did notice that she was basicly pooping on herself (butt fluff has white poo stuck to it.) but could not catch her to figure it out. Finally I caught her yesterday and flipped her upside down to check out her rump.There it was, a little bit of pink blob sticking out just a bit. Because she has not been feeling well plus a bit of poo, her tail feathers are hanging down, which is a good thing, that way the other chickens do not see the PINK sticking out. If they did they would peck at it until it bled and would make things a lot worse.[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000CD]What to do, what to do!?[/COLOR]
Preparation H, keep her in relative darkness to keep her from laying for a few day and see if it goes back in. I would try to keep her in a place where you could control the light and keep her day short for a week or two.

A great meet up. It was nice to meet all who came in person and I'm sorry that some of you missed it. Perhaps next time!
Wow did we yak and yuk it up. I had a great time. Then we went up to CR spread and got the "tour". He's got quite a spread.

When we came out of Spiffy's, it was blue skies and sunshine with fluffy white clouds, a glorious day in the Great Northwest.
Did I tell you about their Club Sandwhich?. Wow this is a blast from the past. This is no wimpy, skinny sandwhich. This is the real McCoy. It's huge, humongous even. AND VERY good. More then a meal, but I toughed it out and ate the whole thing. (burp)
T'was a really, really good day.
Thanks to everyone who came.

Cynthia & Jill:
welcome-byc.gif
This thread is AWESOME! Just sayin...

Quote: I give my chickens two cups, for 8 chickens every couple of days. Some give less than that but every day. You don't want to put scratch in a feeder and give it free choice because I assure you they will eat that before feed and not get the proper nutrition, and get fat. Fat chickens don't lay well.
I would put oyster shell out when they are almost ready to lay. You can put it in a small feeder or just a big dish. I use large bird cage cups that I hang on my 1/2inch Hardware cloth arount the run, kind of near the feed.
I just throw the grit on the ground, if they gout out to free range or have larger grit sand or rocky soil, they can find grit pretty easily.
I use 2 gallon bucket waterers with nipples, I love them! No dirty water. I start all my babies out on a 2 quart size pitcher with a nipple at the bottom and a wire hanger so I can hang it low for them. They get it immediately. I will post the link where I got them, you can make your own though, if you want.
I don't use the pellet bedding, I did use it under the roost, but it was just more of a hassle and one more thing to buy. I like shavings. Softer on their feet when they jump off the roost.
I love PDZ granules! Keeps the coop from smelling. Great stuff! I have also put lavender in with my shavings. Smells pretty!
big_smile.png

If you want to talk chicken and compile a list of basics or just have questions you can PM me I will give you my cel #. But there are lots of ways to keep chickens and my way is not the only way, nor the "right" way. I had to try LOTS of different things before I figured out what works for me and my set up.

A great meet up. It was nice to meet all who came in person and I'm sorry that some of you missed it. Perhaps next time!
Wow did we yak and yuk it up. I had a great time. Then we went up to CR spread and got the "tour". He's got quite a spread.

When we came out of Spiffy's, it was blue skies and sunshine with fluffy white clouds, a glorious day in the Great Northwest.
Did I tell you about their Club Sandwhich?. Wow this is a blast from the past. This is no wimpy, skinny sandwhich. This is the real McCoy. It's huge, humongous even. AND VERY good. More then a meal, but I toughed it out and ate the whole thing. (burp)
T'was a really, really good day.
Thanks to everyone who came.
It was nice getting to meet you finally!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom