Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

And when do y'all start giving chicks treats like the dried mealworms, "chicken crack", and such? (with access to chick grit, of course).

Our new 6-pack of chicks will be a week old Saturday, they are only the 2nd batch we've tried, and neither of us can remember when treats are okay... Our last batch of a dozen we started this experiment with in Spring had zero losses, but the vast majority were Roos. So at least we think we are good at raising Roos.
hmm.png

We're also interested in methods you have used to tame or gentle your chicks and chickens. We raised our now laying RIRs from day olds, but they are not particularly friendly at all while the bantam barred rock we bought as an older pullet will happily ride Spouse's shoulder all day long. Not sure if that is a breed difference or if we did something wrong with the Reds. (A standard Barred Rock we raised with the Reds was very very friendly, but sadly we lost her a month ago to what we choose to call "The Back Fence Incident".)

Forgot to add that since the little silver/blue/lavender one looks like she's going to be fine and is growing at the same rate as the others (just much smaller) we decided to test name her Billie. For Billie Holiday - Lady Sings the Blues. Since all 6 like to sing along to music (very weird, or is it??) we are going to find names of FEMALE musicians. Maybe that will shame them into not becoming Roos... I mean what Roo would be caught dead with a name like Etta ?

fl.gif

Quote:
I reallly want to come! I need to know what time though, so I can plan accordingly. My in-laws are in Shoreline so I can make it a dual purpose trip maybe
smile.png
I would love it to be a late morning trip, maybe 11am?

I am pretty flexable. Ya'll just tell me what time to be there and I will be there. I can't wait to go stock up on feed and see those of you that are going. I will be bringing Mr. Jazz (Great Dane) and the new puppy!
I was planning on getting started on baking this Saturday so earlier would be better. Not too early, but around 10:30 or 11. Does that work for you?

Oh! I almost forgot! I put 5 of my own silkie eggs under my broody silkie last week. I tried 6 but she seemed to have a hard time keeping all 6 under her. So anyway, I candled this morning, not expecting to see any developement but 4 out of the 5 have started to develope! I was so shocked and excited!
celebrate.gif
It's only day 7, but hey I was sure that they weren't even fertile. So I may have babies right before christmas!
love.gif
jumpy.gif
ya.gif

Last edited:
And when do y'all start giving chicks treats like the dried mealworms, "chicken crack", and such? (with access to chick grit, of course).

Our new 6-pack of chicks will be a week old Saturday, they are only the 2nd batch we've tried, and neither of us can remember when treats are okay... Our last batch of a dozen we started this experiment with in Spring had zero losses, but the vast majority were Roos. So at least we think we are good at raising Roos.
hmm.png

We're also interested in methods you have used to tame or gentle your chicks and chickens. We raised our now laying RIRs from day olds, but they are not particularly friendly at all while the bantam barred rock we bought as an older pullet will happily ride Spouse's shoulder all day long. Not sure if that is a breed difference or if we did something wrong with the Reds. (A standard Barred Rock we raised with the Reds was very very friendly, but sadly we lost her a month ago to what we choose to call "The Back Fence Incident".)
Some breeds are not as friendly and sometimes it's just the individual birds themselves too. Handling them and feeding them treats always seems to work for me. But not all of mine are overly friendly either.
As for age of treats, I start giving a little bit of lettuce, watermelon, or apple without the seeds at around 7-8 weeks. But just to get them used to it, and not very much. Once they are around 10-12 weeks I give them a little more, and mealworms are good at this time. I don't give scratch until later, like 4 or 5 months and usually just in the late fall/winter/early spring months.

What ways has everyone found the best ways to raise chicks and make them friendly as adults?

One thing: my friendliest roosters (Elvis and Snotty Cockerel) both have spent long periods in a tall, narrow cage called The Tower of Solitude, a knock-off of a style Japonaise rooster cage, in a place where they get to observe human activity, and where I can talk to them regularly. They get used to being in close proximity.

And a second: just hanging out in the run after filling feeders/waterers calms down notoriously flighty birds like Hamburgs, OR: my Hamburgs are a remarkably mellow group.

Back
Top Bottom