Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Meet our newest member at Whiski Ranch!!! This little guy snuggled in at momma's breast is Weebitt. He was the only egg that hatched out of about 20. After he hatched, momma decided to abandon her nest. This little guy is about half the size of last years babies so Im going to say that Blondie, my bantam size buff hen laid this egg and this momma hatched it. I have one other hen thats sitting on her nest and if all goes well, she should be hatching her first batch very soon
wee.gif
OH too cute congrats!

Meet our newest member at Whiski Ranch!!! This little guy snuggled in at momma's breast is Weebitt. He was the only egg that hatched out of about 20. After he hatched, momma decided to abandon her nest. This little guy is about half the size of last years babies so Im going to say that Blondie, my bantam size buff hen laid this egg and this momma hatched it. I have one other hen thats sitting on her nest and if all goes well, she should be hatching her first batch very soon
wee.gif
very exciting! he's so cute congrats. do you have any seramas hatching?

wee.gif
So the half incubated eggs just get left out to die?
hu.gif
Will they survive if one quickly puts them under a heat lamp or in an incubator? Nature seems too cruel.
hit.gif

very exciting! he's so cute congrats. do you have any seramas hatching?

To see a LOT of seramas I would suggest going to the PNPA show at the Vancouver fairgrounds on the 20th. And I would think there will be some for sale as well. These shows are a lot of fun for anyone that loves looking at chickens, chickens, and more chickens.

Quote: By the time I realized she had abandoned her nest, it was too late to save the eggs. I was hoping another hen would take over the nest but my only other broody hen is already on her own nest. I can only morn the loss of those eggs and gear up in hopes that my other hen will have a successful hatch. Having one of my main black sex link hens abandon her nest is very unusual since 5 out of 6 of my main laying sex links hatched out babies last year in high numbers. The only thing I can think of is that she felt too crowded to continue hatching her eggs in her nest bucket. This means that I will be building larger nest boxes and will also be making them individually with a carry handle so that in the future, when a hen goes broody and has collected her eggs, she will be moved and separated from the rest of the flock to hatch without other hens coming and laying in her nest. I feel this will be the best solution until I build a larger coop and run for my girls. My other hen has her nest in a dog carrier and has plenty of room to hatch all her babies with no crowding so lets keep our fingers crossed for a good upcoming hatch

So, if I find I have these little varmints, how do I go about trying to get rid of them?
Both kinds of bugs can be treated by Eprinexing your birds, and giving them a dust bath to get into as they wish.
I then spray down coop & roosts with Sevin (3 oz per gallon of water)
Don't forget to spary floors, walls & nest boxes as well, DAILY.
With the friendly Great Northern Red fowl mite (the bigger mite) usually 2 applications of Eprinex will work, once a week for 2 weeks.

With the nasty teeny tiny smaller-than-a-speck-of fine-ground-black-pepper Depluming Mites, you may have to do all the above and apply Eprinex once a week for 3 weeks.

I have also greased the roosts with either softened Vaseline or lard (Manteca found in the Mexican food/grocery area usually) as the little buggers STICK.

Back
Top Bottom