Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I love our chicks but if I have change that water again today I swear I'm gonna....I'm gonna.......aw who am I kidding, I'll just change it again.
Off to go plant lots of kale in the garden. Thanks guys for the suggestions.
Tacomafarms good luck with that little chick. She sure is a cutie.

I just had my very 1st call duck baby hatc, and #2 is close behind.. This is my 1st time hatching eggsthis is really neat and the coolest part is my 17 yr old daughter watched it hatch.

Congrats!!! :celebrate
Call ducks are not the easiest to hatch! Good luck with the rest! You are doing something right! Keep up the good work! :clap :thumbsup

The first one is dry and fluffy now waiting for the others to join it in the brooder (food dehydrator). It is already drinking water from the lid to a small jar of peanut butter.

:yesss: We have yet another member of the Quacker Club!!!

Blueducklings we have done good!! :highfive:

yesss.gif
We have yet another member of the Quacker Club!!!

Blueducklings we have done good!!
highfive.gif

Okay, so a half hour ago DD and I were at the feed store, and DD was looking at the posters of poultry breeds. She saw the poster of the ducks/geese and started singing, "Funny-looking chickens, funny-looking chickens!" (This post is for CR...)

Oh! And at Graham Hay Market they had some 2-5 week old pullets on a buy 10 get 2 free sale. They had silver cochins, speckled sussex, dominique, light brahma, silver laced wyandottes, lakenvelders, and a couple other breeds. Just sayin', if you need some chicks, and you want some that would spend a shorter time in the brooder, think about a trip to Graham.

I sure don't need 12, but I was sorely tempted by the speckled sussex girls.

(They also have a buy 5 get 1 free deal on every chick in the place on Wednesdays)

The ducklings are finally hatching and the next batch is ready to transfer to the hatching incubator. I moved one over already because when I candled it had already pipped internally while one duckling is drying off in the dehydrator. I am trying to figure out how to post a picture so hopefully it shows up. Apparently the incubation period for Australian Spotted ducks is the same as other duck breeds. They are so tiny when they hatch since the eggs are chicken egg sized.

Edit, I misread. You wanted to post.
I have found:
Use a flash light to shine on the chick while taking the picture. It helps a lot.

Last edited:
Thank you I now have 5 with the last 3 starting to show signs of external pipping. Its been a long couple of days. My humid it was a bit off so I had to help a bit but all are doing really well. First 2 are eating and drinking. They come over when they hear my voice already. Too Cute!

Congrats!!! :celebrate
Call ducks are not the easiest to hatch! Good luck with the rest! You are doing something right! Keep up the good work! :clap :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom