Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Sounds like you figured this out, but yet another reason people shouldn't buy hatchery garbage. Poor personalities. Not all chickens should be totally docile (actually a nervous flighty bird often makes a longer lived free ranger!) but a good 99% of all human aggressive birds I hear about are from hatcheries. When will people realize to stop supporting these places?
I think it's just slightly unfair to call hatchery birds 'garbage.' I know how they work and understand that it's just better to buy birds from breeders or breed your own, but I've had many wonderful hens that came from the feed store. I've got one that's eight years old. She's a GSL that I saved from being picked on by the others. She had a small wound near her vent and the others were chasing her and pecking at it. Was I intending to get chicks when I went to the store that day? No, but I had to help that bird and I'm still glad that I did. Muffet, George, Pengin and Pudge came from the feed store too, and they're lovely girls. They're terribly friendly and have unique personalities. They are not garbage.

After a good long rest with a muscle relaxer and Percocet, DH and I proceeded to put together the new deck boxes from Costco. They're 120 gallon boxes with awesome pneumatic lid lifts and one fits ALL my chicken stuff (feed, oyster shell, grit, Sweet PDZ, DE, meds, extra hardware cloth, etc....). Well worth the investment!! The other will go on our deck with the new picnic table and grill to hold all the cushions for chairs, and all the grill stuff. So glad we have them now!

After a good long rest with a muscle relaxer and Percocet, DH and I proceeded to put together the new deck boxes from Costco. They're 120 gallon boxes with awesome pneumatic lid lifts and one fits ALL my chicken stuff (feed, oyster shell, grit, Sweet PDZ, DE, meds, extra hardware cloth, etc....). Well worth the investment!! The other will go on our deck with the new picnic table and grill to hold all the cushions for chairs, and all the grill stuff. So glad we have them now!
Do you know the measurements of the box? I'm tired of dragging our cushions from the deck, through the house, to the garage every year. There are so many of them! It would be so nice to have somewhere dry right by the couches to put them in so we could pull them out on the rare nice days in the spring/fall.

I think it's just slightly unfair to call hatchery birds 'garbage.' I know how they work and understand that it's just better to buy birds from breeders or breed your own, but I've had many wonderful hens that came from the feed store. I've got one that's eight years old. She's a GSL that I saved from being picked on by the others. She had a small wound near her vent and the others were chasing her and pecking at it. Was I intending to get chicks when I went to the store that day? No, but I had to help that bird and I'm still glad that I did. Muffet, George, Pengin and Pudge came from the feed store too, and they're lovely girls. They're terribly friendly and have unique personalities. They are not garbage.

goodpost.gif
and on behalf of all awesome backyard champion chickens,
hugs.gif

I think it's just slightly unfair to call hatchery birds 'garbage.'  I know how they work and understand that it's just better to buy birds from breeders or breed your own, but I've had many wonderful hens that came from the feed store.  I've got one that's eight years old.  She's a GSL that I saved from being picked on by the others.  She had a small wound near her vent and the others were chasing her and pecking at it.  Was I intending to get chicks when I went to the store that day?  No, but I had to help that bird and I'm still glad that I did.  Muffet, George, Pengin and Pudge came from the feed store too, and they're lovely girls.  They're terribly friendly and have unique personalities.  They are not garbage.

You're right. I shouldn't have said hatchery garbage but I was trying to be nice.

Could you please post a pic. I would love to see them. I am in need of something just like that. Thanks

I will post pics tomorrow for everyone, and write the measurements. Right now they're both outside in the dark. They're huge and awesome, and well worth the money spent at Costco. Oh and they seat 2 people comfortable as well, probably more like 3. I think it's 57" long! I think they were $80??? Each, but don't quote me on that. I'll make that an exact number tomorrow too :)

Back
Top Bottom