Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Hi guys !
Been busy & still feeling yucky but I get to go to the doc tomorrow afternoon.....hooray (NOT)

Grandma's bearded iris bloomed, gorgeous purple & yellow...and then the rain & wind knocked them over.......
he.gif

I will have to stake the blooms, or find a drier place to plant them.

Got all my darrow Blueberries dug up & moved...some were barely in the dirt due to chicken rotovating.........I think all 10 will survive (I hope)

Anyone here ever hear of deer or possums/raccons eating winter squash vines or fruit ????????
Vines are very stickery...I ask cuz I am planning on planted the Sweet Meats & Long Island Cheese winter squash out behind the house instead of in the garden.............they take up so much room.

OK I guess back to work................
frow.gif

yes, and grapes and ivy and anything else you were planning on getting to for canning sometimes
lau.gif

not sure on squash though, I have yet for them to have a go at that
lol.png

BGMatt - Forums are a place where people come to learn, ask questions and get to know. The things I am an expert in - I do not go to forums for them. What was that little saying about assuming...?

Nodoby really likes people who act all uppity, make ya look like a douche, if ya know what I mean. I took little offense and had a good laugh! And happy hatchings with yours as well!
clap.gif

Last edited:
No. I had assumed that since this was a chicken forum we were here for the betterment and enjoyment of chickens. I was never trying to be unfriendly, just chatting about chickens.

And yes I did assume that the majority of the chicken population on a chicken forum would be purebred, just like if I'm on a dog forum I assume the majority of them are not mixed breed. Because it has been my experience when you stick with something for a while and are serious about it that's what happens.

Oh well, too bad people took offense on something that was not meant to be offensive and I even said that to try and move on. Happy hatching to all it tis the season.

Hi Matt,
BYC has areas for discussing breeding and showing and those threads are much as you've described. The Washington thread is a Social area, a place where people of all interests hang out and chat. I think, this one time, you just chose the wrong place to express a strong opinion in a harsh tone. Based on your earlier posts in this thread it seems your a fairly serious chicken breeder and I think we will all agree that we appreciate your constructive contributions and sociable conversation. And like someone else said, we are first... backyard chicken folks. Remember, too, that at least two of the people on this thread are president of a breed's club. We're just a big family here in Washington and just like chickens, we each get pecked once in a while. None of us are perfect. You shoulda heard what one gal said when she was new and got mad at us all!!!! Oh that naughty girl.
lau.gif

So now that you've been thru the gauntlet, I hope you'll stay and be part of our imperfect FAMILY!
frow.gif

Hi guys !
Been busy & still feeling yucky but I get to go to the doc tomorrow afternoon.....hooray (NOT)

Grandma's bearded iris bloomed, gorgeous purple & yellow...and then the rain & wind knocked them over.......
he.gif

I will have to stake the blooms, or find a drier place to plant them.

Got all my darrow Blueberries dug up & moved...some were barely in the dirt due to chicken rotovating.........I think all 10 will survive (I hope)

Anyone here ever hear of deer or possums/raccons eating winter squash vines or fruit ????????
Vines are very stickery...I ask cuz I am planning on planted the Sweet Meats & Long Island Cheese winter squash out behind the house instead of in the garden.............they take up so much room.

OK I guess back to work................
frow.gif

I grew some Long Island Cheese about 2 or 3 years ago. The racoons didn't bother them -- but they destroyed the water walls I was using in the fall! I'm going to be planting them again this year, too. I still have the seeds and want pumpkins for my birds. I made pie with them, they were supposed to be really good, but I wasn't really impressed. How do they compare, in FLAVOR, to the Sweet Meats?

Matt doesn't get a free pass from me. He came on here with an attitude and it hasn't improved.
Insults people, then tries to worm his way out of it with "make nice words". Complete bs.
As others have said, this is a social chicken forum.

Matt if you want experts go to those forums and enjoy yourself.

Garbage, indeed.
somad.gif

Whoa, I was warned how unfriendly it was around here for people that enjoy real standard bred chickens but I had no idea it was this bad.
Please tell what might you consider "real standard bred chickens" ??

I guess things like my BLRB, B Fav or LF Salmon Foverolles. All show quality don't count OR the fact that the Cock bird on the logo for the Faverolles Fanciers of America is MY bird. yeah none of us have anything any good.

I talked to FOUR feed stores on where they get their chicks.

Belts
Welps
McMurray

Note that all of the above are the Hatcheries.

Over here in Poulsbo, Centex, they use Privitte Hatchery. Got my EE's there. 3 out of 4 hen are really nice. One is not to standard but lays a pink egg almost every day. She is a little wild also. So I can't show her..... Oh well. I have other chickens I am hoping to show. Hey, I wouldn't win a beauty contest myself but I am worth keeping.

This is a social thread. Totally social. Have fun and lighten up. You might find you actually find some loyal customers here as well as friends.

Please tell what might you consider "real standard bred chickens" ??

I guess things like my BLRB, B Fav or LF Salmon Foverolles. All show quality don't count OR the fact that the Cock bird on the logo for the Faverolles Fanciers of America is MY bird. yeah none of us have anything any good.
Why on earth would those not count? I guess I'm confused and people are reading way too much into a few words. I never said nobody here had anything good? Indeed I was expecting more people to have birds like you just described. Obviously you're breeding to a standard (or working towards one with a plan for the non-recognized varieties).

As far as what I consider "real standard bred chickens", that's just chickens bred to the standard so they can fulfill their original purpose, not birds that have selectively been bred to grow too fast and lay too heavy on small frames to have long healthy productive lives, in other words I'd probably use the "ALBC Heritage chicken definition" with two exceptions, I wouldn't include the "established mid 20-th century" limitation, and that definition seems to exclude new varieties which doesn't make a lot of sense, if someone is creating a new variety that shows a dedication to the breed and a plan. Form follows function as I suspect you know since you seem to be a knowledgable breeder.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom