Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Quote:
Now she's the poster child of the twin-egger's club.
big_smile.png

I would just like to share an image of mine regarding hatchery birds. Half of these were won by hatchery birds and the other half by 'pure bred' birds. I didn't take offense to the statement, but I just wanted to share my experiences with hatchery and pure bred birds. These were open shows and youth shows.

Happy hatching y'all!

That's AWESOME! Congrats!

I thought 20% protein was way too high for layers.  What did I miss?   Or is it ok for the layers if it's only for 9 weeks?   

20% is fine for layers. For that matter you could also feed the layer pellet to the younger birds. Feed isn't as complicated or as rigid as people make it out to be. I would feed whichever was most economical pellet (since the crumble is wasteful), and if its the flock raiser then make sure the hens have free choice oyster shell. If layer feed is cheaper then the younger birds will be fine on it, they just might grow a little slower.

I think it's just slightly unfair to call hatchery birds 'garbage.' I know how they work and understand that it's just better to buy birds from breeders or breed your own, but I've had many wonderful hens that came from the feed store. I've got one that's eight years old. She's a GSL that I saved from being picked on by the others. She had a small wound near her vent and the others were chasing her and pecking at it. Was I intending to get chicks when I went to the store that day? No, but I had to help that bird and I'm still glad that I did. Muffet, George, Pengin and Pudge came from the feed store too, and they're lovely girls. They're terribly friendly and have unique personalities. They are not garbage.
You're right. I shouldn't have said hatchery garbage but I was trying to be nice.
you are being a snob about this.
So what you are saying is that the peeps here on this forum are stupid? Why else would we buy hatchery birds?
Why would you come to this forum just to spread hate and discontent? We were fine before you showed up with your attitude.

Meeting what one perceives as rudeness with more rudeness is just .. well .. rude :)

FYI 8ft sheets of plywood plus 50 mile an hour winds just don't go well together. We are calling it a day. Bummed.
sad.png

You should have more help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I stopped by BGMatt's place after the show a few weekends ago. He's got a super neat setup. He asked me, "what do you raise." My response?

I have mostly hatchery junk. They are my junk so I like them -- but I certainly understand that they are junk.

Now .. where I come from -- junk and garbage are synonyms.

Matt is a nice guy. I think that many of you are over-reacting. Matt made NO comments about any person - only birds.

I think we could learn a lot from a person with as much knowledge as Matt has.

Be nice people. Be nice.

I stopped by BGMatt's place after the show a few weekends ago.  He's got a super neat setup.  He asked me, "what do you raise."  My response?

I have mostly hatchery junk.  They are my junk so I like them -- but I certainly understand that they are junk.

Now .. where I come from -- junk and garbage are synonyms.

Matt is a nice guy.  I think that many of you are over-reacting.  Matt made NO comments about any person - only birds.

I think we could learn a lot from a person with as much knowledge as Matt has.

Be nice people.  Be nice.

Thanks for kind words about set up. It's not much yet but someday it will be something to be proud of again. It was nice to meet you and thank you for tips on coops. Hopefully next ones will be put together better! We're all always learning in this great hobby of ours.

I always have an open coop policy if anyone is ever in the area and wants to drop by, I love talking chicken.

Shirley was a bit cold today when I checked on her. I was holding her closer to the light to warm her up. Our top chick flew straight up out of the brooder onto my arm. Thinking she just wanted to visit I let her be. She marched up my arm onto my shoulder, looked me square in the eye and then pecked me right in the eyeball! Then she pestered me until I HAD to put little Shirley down. Jealous chickens? Another first for me.

Back
Top Bottom