Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

My new babies!!!

They are Cream Legbar chicks, 2 from my own flock and 4 from Shipped eggs.

These are a classic boy on top, a girl on the Left and a sport white boy on the right.

These are 2 boys

And this s a girl, still splotchy from egg goo from a tough hatch.

Peeping away in the back room again. I now have chicks in the house, chicks in the barn and 2 coops with adults. Now when can I hatch more? LOL.

My new babies!!!

They are Cream Legbar chicks, 2 from my own flock and 4 from Shipped eggs.

These are a classic boy on top, a girl on the Left and a sport white boy on the right.

These are 2 boys

And this s a girl, still splotchy from egg goo from a tough hatch.

Peeping away in the back room again. I now have chicks in the house, chicks in the barn and 2 coops with adults. Now when can I hatch more? LOL.
When the moon is full!

Still fighting computer problems, and had to dedicate the helpful presence of my son to getting some cattle stuff dealt with.

Off into reality, there's six inches of dust where there was six inches of mud at the end of April, wish we could have some moderating in weather!

Still fighting computer problems, and had to dedicate the helpful presence of my son to getting some cattle stuff dealt with.

Off into reality, there's six inches of dust where there was six inches of mud at the end of April, wish we could have some moderating in weather!
the rains will be here tomorrow. (maybe)
I could use a mild drizzly day of moisture but Mr. Arthur Itis is taking its toll recently.
sad.png

If anyone wants free straight run chicks about 5 days old now let me know(Edmonds, WA area).

Their parent stock was W-Leghorn/Americauna Rooster over Austra-white(Australorp/W-Leghorn) hens. I have 3 chicks that hatched with a straight comb(two whites, 1 black) and a couple pea comb chicks that look like the traditional Austra-whites otherwise that I would like to give away. I cannot determine gender at this point but I had 13 hatch which was much better than I had anticipated. I only planned to keep about 9 straight run long enough to determine gender. Keeping all the black/Pea combs though cause that is the phenotype I was after
big_smile.png

I have an unrealistic goal of our dogs not thinking the chickens are food. I have hope though because both dogs were formerly "city dogs" and don't always understand that farm animals are mostly harmless. Minnie (dog in the pictures) is a 2 year old lab/ border collie mix and Mandy is a 6 year old cattle dog mix. Minnie LOVES my Mom's chickens, not to chase, just to "herd" their pen. One chicken likes to escape all of the time, and Minnie just keeps herding the coop. So the chicken will sit outside the pen and watch her circle it. Its quite funny. Mandy likes to lick things... Doesn't matter what it is, your arm, dirt, horse poo, chick, fence, ball etc. Both dogs don't know what to think about the chicks. Minnie sort of freezes and leans away. Mandy stares at them and trys to lick them...

Any tips for desensitizing the dogs to the chickens?
That last picture is priceless! You should submit it to some sort of photography contest, lol.
Keep at it. I used a spray bottle on my old schipperke. That didn't really work. She was old and wily. She'd just wait until I was doing something then do what she wanted.

My two dogs now grew up with the chickens. They were 6 and 5 months old when I got the birds so to them chickens are normal. The GSD will herd them one at a time into the pen if I ask her. The Aussie/Heeler mix still thinks they might try and kill him because some of the birds will challenge him. I've taught both of them to kill rodents. They will chase the geese off the lawn and will go after small birds, except for the killdeer that keep nesting in the drive. I kept telling the dogs no and leave it and now they ignore them.

Now teaching cats to leave chicks alone. That takes work. I think one of the kittens has figured that out.
Schipperkes are well known to be really smart and determined. Crafty little cuties. My cats don't even bother to take a second glance at the random critters that have been in my home - rabbits, chickens, ducklings, gosh I can't remember what all. They aren't thrilled by Hank, but pretty much ignore him - a great feat in such a small space.
13 chicks from CL of which I believe only 3 are cockerals. yay! That leaves me with 10 more hens, 3 weeks old and doing well. Jersey Giants but I may have a black copper maran or two in the mix.
7 hens, 1 broody sitting on 6, make that 5 eggs (I just found 1 broke) which will be mystry chicks until they are older. Could be Eng Orps, JG/RIR, or EngOrp/RIR, or JG/Eng Orps.
So I could be having 20 hens. (I am outta my mind. this was just suppose to be an activity for me to get me outta the house everyday and provide a few eggs through the week)

Had a hawk come visiting 2 days ago.
Blue, (my blue jersey giant rooster) herded his girls close to the coop wall and was standing guard in front of them with his eye firmly on the circling hawk. The hawk made about 5 passes overhead and finally went on to better hunting grounds. Perhaps he didn't see the chickens or maybe he saw Blue who is as big or bigger then most hawks and decided it wasn't worth the fight.
Good boy! Love a strong rooster.
I wanted to know if you knew of a good pilgrim goose breeder in WW. My grandmother might be interested.
I'm sorry, I don't! I don't even know how to contact the folks I got mine from. I might, might, have some I could sell if most of the eggs hatch.
I could use a mild drizzly day of moisture but Mr. Arthur Itis is taking its toll recently.
sad.png
Dang, rain? Too bad we can't have weather like in Camelot, where it only rains at night...
So Sorry!
sad.png
Oh, that's not fun to find. Good luck on the remaining eggs.

I did find a crushed egg under my Pilgrim girl a couple days ago, but with that many, I wasn't surprised. These are the weirdest geese - they hiss a bit, but no head snaking or biting or anything, even when I stroked the sitting girl last night. So calm! I have to give credit to the folks that I bought them from. I should have gotten a couple more.

My oldest duckles, two pretty Muscovy girls, are laying eggs! My first ever duck egg scramble was really good. I wasn't sure if I'd like them, as I heard they taste a little richer, but it was for the better. I don't even have to stress about choosing to incubate or eat them - I don't have a male. Hopefully one of the four baby 'scovies is a boy, but I'm not seeing any tail curls, so it's not looking good. I might have to go on a hunt for a nice male for them. How did I end up with mostly cockerels in my chickens and maybe all girls in my ducks?
roll.png

I could use a mild drizzly day of moisture but Mr. Arthur Itis is taking its toll recently. :(

Dagnabit and rats!  2 eggs from my broody are broken, one had a chick developing.  She was quite calm when I picked her up to peek. She's a sweetie.
Still has 4 eggs under her. :fl

Ah, phooey. I'm in a state of suspended judgement about the eggs in the incubator: I have an analog thermometer on top of the eggs and a digital one alongside the fan power cable, and the analog one is rock steady while the digital varies with external temps- which it should, it's by an air leak. But until they start to rock, I'm not counting on anything, although preparing accommodations for them of course.

Back
Top Bottom