Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

OK, Paradox, let's make it NOON on this Sunday at the Lake Forest Park Third Place Books Commons.
(We try to meet there every couple months. There's a core group of - I don't know 10, 12 of us maybe? It will be nice to meet you.)

Again, I really encourage new people to come. We usually have some sort of chicken related item or a sign on the table so the new people can spot us. Either that or look for remnants of chicken poo on our shoes ;)

Super. Count on me to be there. I'm a big bald guy and I almost always wear a tye-dye t-shirt. I'll be easy to spot.
wink.png

Swedish Flower Cockrel needs a wonderful home.

Hello all,
My daughters and I hatched Swedish Flower Hens this spring and were absolutely delighted with how sweet and personable they all have been. We got really lucky to get 4 pullets, but of course, our most favorite, the sweetest, in your pocket, blowing kisses in your ear baby turned out to be a cockrel. His name is Rowen and he is beautiful. He runs to see us any time we come to the coop. He even stands on our feet until we pick him up. He is the sweetest chicken we have ever had and we have kept him as long as we can but he started trying to crow this morning so the time has come. We are all heart broken to have to let him go but the neighbors just can't be bought off with fresh eggs. (We've tried!)

If you don't know anything about Swedish Flower Hens they are a rare land race from Sweden. They were imported by Greenfire Farm in Florida who started their introduction to the United States. You can read all about their story at greenfirefarms.com. We have found the Flowers to be especially friendly and curious. They are really fun to have around and the roosters are particularly beautiful.

Rowen needs a happy home where someone wants him because he is a beautiful and sweet rooster. I don't want him to end up in a freezer.

We are located in the Monroe/Woodinville area and I would be happy to meet someone halfway if needed. Please feel free to PM me with any questions. Oh and he hatched March 17th.

What a great looking little guy! I have a pullet, but she terribly skittish, probably because her early days were in a large group rather than a small family group like yours. If I could have a roo I'd definitely take him, but sadly it's not in the cards. I can think of a couple people that might be interested but haven't popped in yet. Are you going to the Mother Earth Fair in Puyallup this weekend? There will be several BYCers there.

Hey People!!!! Don't let this little fella get away, you'll hate yourself in the morning! LaughingFeather, Travis... where are you???
jumpy.gif

I'm looking to find a new home for my two BLRWs. They're about a year old and are laying regularly. My problem is that they're somewhat aggressive toward the rest of my girls. I'm going to be introducing new birds in a few months and do not want to see them get injured/over-bullied. These two would probably do better in a flock of all LF with a top hen or rooster who will teach them their place. They are FREE to anyone here on BYC. I got them from Ron last year but I cannot remember their origin. It might be Wa4Hpoultrymom (sorry if I butchered the name), but I could be misremembering. Here's one of them.
That's a really pretty hen, too- I hope you find a home for her and her sister. Me, I'm getting out of BLRWs to the extent that I'll be selling chicks from the ones I have until they stop laying for good: they're pretty, but not as pretty as Hamburgs (IMNSHO) and they just eat too much.

[Any thoughts on this coop? It's advertised on CL but it's made in Texas and they ship it mostly assembled. It's 6' x3'.

Here's a link to their website:

http://www.ranch-coop.com/Chicken-coop-with-cedar-roof.html

Will the hens roost (and poop all over) the nesting boxes the way they are set up? Do you think I'd still need a run, or would three hens be okay spending most of their time in there?
That's a cool lookin coop I might see if they could cover both sides just because of our rain.
Is the "EXTRA POLISH" some sort of super Polish chick, more crest maybe? And extra lemon, more lemony than an ordinary lemon?
The Extra Polish are Gold Laced, a couple of blacks (supposed to be White Crested) and light colored chicks that are either Silver Laced or Spitzhuabens. They all have the coolest little mowhawks I've ever seen. Oh and they are (LF) not Bantams. I'm growin out Lemon Flavored chickens not bakin a pie for cryin out loud, you Goof!
gig.gif
lau.gif

Also seems to have red in the tail feathers?
Still early for me but I'm thinkin Roo! Hang on and see what you get. It's hard sometimes when you buy straight run ckicks I have almost as many Roos as hens this year on my straight run birds.
I am using a kids playhouse for one of my chicken coops. It is a little harder to clean than I would like but with only a few chicks in it I find its not too bad. It is the cutest thing ever and if I was wanting to keep my chicken coop on the dl I would definitely consider it for a main coop. My four week old Barnevelder and Silkie chicks are very happy in it right now.
smile.png
As long as they're happy and it works for you then all is well!

What a great looking little guy! I have a pullet, but she terribly skittish, probably because her early days were in a large group rather than a small family group like yours. If I could have a roo I'd definitely take him, but sadly it's not in the cards. I can think of a couple people that might be interested but haven't popped in yet. Are you going to the Mother Earth Fair in Puyallup this weekend? There will be several BYCers there.

Hey People!!!! Don't let this little fella get away, you'll hate yourself in the morning! LaughingFeather, Travis... where are you???
jumpy.gif

Thanks Carolyn. I so hope I can find some one to love him. Just got back from tucking them in for the night and he gets off the perch to come have a snuggle!
hit.gif
Wish I could keep him.

Unfortunately I won't be at the fair. I teach horseback riding lessons and the weekend is the busy time.

I'm looking to find a new home for my two BLRWs. They're about a year old and are laying regularly. My problem is that they're somewhat aggressive toward the rest of my girls. I'm going to be introducing new birds in a few months and do not want to see them get injured/over-bullied. These two would probably do better in a flock of all LF with a top hen or rooster who will teach them their place. They are FREE to anyone here on BYC. I got them from Ron last year but I cannot remember their origin. It might be Wa4Hpoultrymom (sorry if I butchered the name), but I could be misremembering. Here's one of them.

I live in Carnation and could take them. I am out of town until late Sat night though. They would be in the duck and extra rooster pen or with the Wheaten hens (who are tough)

Let me know
Diane

And now I have an egg eater in the BLRW pen. Somehow I suspect the rooster who may never have been with laying hens before more than the two, two year old hens who've never broken an egg.

:barnie

:hit

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom