Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

CarolynF

So, how is that lovely suit project for your daughter coming along? I just finished a rather nice blouse, which I'm quite pleased with since it's my own design. And although it took longer to make because of changes while making it, I'm glad I took the extra time to make it just right.

I love linen, and embroidered linen is lovely; just can't stand that it wrinkles so much.
hmm.png

(3/4 length sleeves)

Ohhhh.... very nice blouse! I agree with you about linen, but I think the wrinkles have become the hallmark and an acceptable sign of quality goods. Right??? ;-)

The suit has been quite the project and another learning experience. I'm waiting for DD as we speak. She's such a challenge to fit because she's quite tall, very slender, but with extra muscles in the shoulders, back, biceps, and thighs. Curvaceous in a VERY different way!. I'll try to get pics. Oh... it's a cordouroy type of fabric!

So I'm looking at Facebook and I notice an ad for their Rare Breed Chicken Auction site. I click the link. I notice there is a listing for Spitz eggs. I'm curious, so I look to see what the parent birds look like, and I see a picture of some of MY birds. It seems this explitive deleted has been using my picture on EBay, too. He's taken down his auctions on both sites. I've saved a search on EBay for Spitz eggs. If he tries it again there, I'll know, and complain to the proper powers that be. I couldn't post on the FB site because I'm not a member of that page. I contacted a friend who is a member. She posted that he was using other people's pictures. He called her the "C" word on his FB page. He told me to stop crying and put on my big girl panties. What an @#$%%^&*!

Oh, good grief, what a pig!

[COLOR=FF0000]CarolynF[/COLOR] So, how is that lovely suit project for your daughter coming along? I just finished a rather nice blouse, which I'm quite pleased with since it's my own design. And although it took longer to make because of changes while making it, I'm glad I took the extra time to make it just right. I love linen, and embroidered linen is lovely; just can't stand that it wrinkles so much. :/ (3/4 length sleeves)
Oh, that's lovely! If it's not too snoopy, where did you find that fabric? I've sort of made wrinkles part of my personal style. I hate to iron, and love the was linen feels (and in hot weather anything but cotton or linen makes me get heat rash). ETA: should have been well on my way to getting the outside brooder together, but so far this day has been a festival of interruptions; I've got the chicks fed, the sheep tethered out and the cattle checked, picked up four eggs, started two sprinklers, and juggled some bottled water (my doc wants me to limit my consumption of well water because it's at about 75% of the legal limit for N and my BP is a concern). Next I get to put Deary outside and clean where one of the dogs puked in the laundry room and hose off that door mat... Ate breakfast, took insulin, washed hair and bent it, got dressed, remembering to wear my ankle brace, am about 1/3 of the way into sorting laundry, tended my husband's back with his high-test capsacin stuff, ate lunch. I believe the phrase I'm looking for is "nibbled to death by ducks." And like sands through the hour glass every small unschedualed activity- the dog puke, finding the car locked when I went down to take the water out of the trunk- takes away irreplaceable energy and focus that means that something will not be done at the end of the day. Oh, well, at least I don't have to move the broody pen nor the sheep pen today and even though I did that yesterday when I was feeling right poorly, I feel better than I did then. Hah. Before I have to put Deary out I believe I'd best go spray paint the nursery pot that got missed yesterday; I'm in the middle of a grand "repot plants before they die" festival, besides putting together six rose and annual pots for my daughter's wedding. It's the sort of thing I expect myself to finish before lunch on an average day, but "average" includes when I was thirty or so.

Last edited:
I have hatched out Black Copper Marans, Barnevelder, and now BBS Orpington chicks. The first BCMs I sold left the same day they hatched and there were problems so I am keeping the chicks longer this time. My ducklings have left soon after hatching but the chicks seem to need longer to get solid on their feet. I thought I could keep all the chicks together because they are easy enough to tell apart but I had Barnevelders picking on the Marans so now I am afraid to put the Orpingtons with them. They just hatched yesterday so I have them in an incubator I am using for a brooder. I also have one Sizzle (splash Silkie rooster and Frizzle hen) that hatched. The Silkie eggs I got with the Sizzle egg were infertile so now I don't have more bantam chicks to keep it with and I may need to separate it too, although it is doing okay with the Orpingtons so far (someone is supposed to be buying some of them tomorrow so that will help). I was hoping that the rare breeds would sell quickly enough that I would not need to brood them long but I have considered raising them to sell them for more since I have plenty of chick started left from my own chicks that are feathered and eating flock raiser with the ducks now. I have Silkies I want to use as incubators and brooders but only one seems the least bit broody. What is the best method for raising different breeds at different ages? My hatches are staggered so I will keep getting young chicks.. Maybe I need to offer them to a friend with a better set-up for chicks to sell for me because she has some nice commercial brooders but if my husband can build a nice brooder for me I am interesting in raising the chicks until they sell (charging more for them the longer I raise them and therefore making more from the hatches). I have a food dehydrator I am using as a heat source but I may need some sort of cabinet design with varying temperatures for different aged chicks until they no longer need heat. My ducklings are off heat so much sooner so I would rather be hatching duck eggs but they are harder to find. I have a great system in placce for hatching, now I need a system for brooding. I like the idea of converting furniture to a brooder like the ones pictured so maybe if I can put the food dehydrator in the bottom the heat would rise and I can have different levels of heat for the chicks. Does anyone have suggestions how I can brood my chicks?

Thank you for all of your suggestions! I will definitely check out cree farms and I'm getting information about the breeder in Gig Harbor as well.

I really appreciate all of this, everyone here is so friendly and helpful
big_smile.png
Its good to be a Washingtonian.

Back
Top Bottom