Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Hey renart, long time no see!!!
frow.gif

How's everything going, are you busy as can be? We've had several new folks in our area join BYC lately. We've talked a little bit about a Kitsap get together. Any interest if we do?

How's your garden this year... mine not quite as good as I'd hoped. Are you the person that did pea sprouts? That still intrigues me.
smile.png

Hi Carolyn! Busy busy, always seem to be playing catch up with the farm, and we only have 12 acres. A get together could/would be cool, always depends on when it is, although I am more than happy to make an all out effort to attend. We offer pea shoots in our salad shares for our CSA yes. They are quite yummy in salads :)
frow.gif

Thanks everyone for all the information on shows! Looks like there's one in October, and we will be going to the Puyallup and Jefferson Cty fairs. I'll remove Kitsap from the list, unless there will be one of those 'get togethers' going on.

After reading all the links, started wondering how many people actually join the clubs? And which ones? I contacted the ABA, just because I need to find a source to start a banty breeding program and I also need copies of the standards for the ones I end up breeding. (either OEGB or Dutch, either self-blue or porcelain. will depend on what I can find, looks like!)

So, who is part of what club, and do you feel like it's worth it to join for you? It's unlikely I will be showing in Chehalis or Yakima or wherever, for instance, as 2 small children at home don't make that kind of travel make much sense. Hard to justify for chickens at the moment.

I like being part of this thread, but as I've mentioned before, tea, barbeques, beach hangouts, etc. to talk with fellow chicken fanciers would be fabu. *That* would be the primary motivation - I have a lot to learn, and first-hand brain picking (notwithstanding any boogers) is more productive, to my mind...
-AG

Thanks everyone for all the information on shows! Looks like there's one in October, and we will be going to the Puyallup and Jefferson Cty fairs. I'll remove Kitsap from the list, unless there will be one of those 'get togethers' going on.

After reading all the links, started wondering how many people actually join the clubs? And which ones? I contacted the ABA, just because I need to find a source to start a banty breeding program and I also need copies of the standards for the ones I end up breeding. (either OEGB or Dutch, either self-blue or porcelain. will depend on what I can find, looks like!)

So, who is part of what club, and do you feel like it's worth it to join for you? It's unlikely I will be showing in Chehalis or Yakima or wherever, for instance, as 2 small children at home don't make that kind of travel make much sense. Hard to justify for chickens at the moment.

I like being part of this thread, but as I've mentioned before, tea, barbeques, beach hangouts, etc. to talk with fellow chicken fanciers would be fabu. *That* would be the primary motivation - I have a lot to learn, and first-hand brain picking (notwithstanding any boogers) is more productive, to my mind...
-AG
I belong to the American Silkie Bantam Association, PNPA, WA Feather Fanciers. There are different associations that put on the different shows, so only choose the ones that will work best for you. I am sure I will join a few more as I get more into showing, but for now I am good. Might want to think about picking up the Standard of perfection book. It has the list of all recognized breeds and what the standard is. Also lists what is considered a fault and what is considered a disqualification. You should be able to order it online. It's expensive, but good to have if you plan on showing and breeding.

Thanks KM! I grabbed the Kindle version 2 seconds ago. It may not be current, but 60$ is more than I have invested in birds at the mo'! I just want to figure out what I should be looking for, get a baseline. :)

-AletaG

The heat is ridiculous. Thankfully, my mom scored yards and yards of shadecloth from a friend who was clearing out their garage last year. And I go out and 'mist' a corner of the coop - the cockerel comes running. So funny!

We're heading to the beach with a cobbled raft and lifejackets after lunch. Fun! No chickens, though.

The heat is ridiculous. Thankfully, my mom scored yards and yards of shadecloth from a friend who was clearing out their garage last year. And I go out and 'mist' a corner of the coop - the cockerel comes running. So funny!

We're heading to the beach with a cobbled raft and lifejackets after lunch. Fun! No chickens, though.

Check out the Arizona thread. Those are the people with cooling ideas!

Hey all, Don't forget to give your chickens, ducks and other animals cool water in this heat. If you fill it in the morning by mid day it's warm/hot water. It needs refilled with cool water. Or freeze milk cartons full of water and peel away the cardboard and toss that in when you go to leave for the day. it keeps your animals water cool most of the day :)

Also make sure your animals have somewhere to lay in the shade!

-AG

Hanging around at the shows is best way to learn. It's very laid back unlike any other animal I've ever shown, although with the two shows in one day it's a bit more hectic then it used to be.

As far as organizations. Definitely APA and ABA are worth joining. I feel our regional organizations (PNPA and Washington Feather Fanciers) are worth it as well. Breed clubs it really depends on the club, I have been in a few over the years and not found them worth it, but I hear of some that are fantastic.

Hope to see you around a few shows.

Thanks KM! I grabbed the Kindle version 2 seconds ago. It may not be current, but 60$ is more than I have invested in birds at the mo'! I just want to figure out what I should be looking for, get a baseline. :)

-AletaG

I know that there is a Bantam association with local representation; I'm thinking of joining the Barbu d'Anvers association myself, since I really don't need to come up with another breed to own and the general Bantan association would just be dangerous given my known weaknesses.

Back
Top Bottom