Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Ogress, I hope your birds are doing better, I read on a later post that the disease is going through your flock - that stinks.
hit.gif
I am not familiar with Oxine but have read that others use it and love it. Another product I keep saying I need to check out! You also might also want to consider adding vitamins and electrolytes to their water a few days a week. Just trying to think of things I did... I am certainly not an expert. I know when my flock was sick I was looking for any and all recommendations - you can always weed out what doesn't sound reasonable to you. This might keep the non-symptomatic birds from getting sick.
wi
Yes, I think it was South Bend. LOL... 30 years ago was a long time ago! I would be surprised if anyone on here knows where Cathlamet is! We are looking at the Colville/Kettle Falls area in Stevens County for retirement. Another area full of small towns that many folks have never heard of.
wee.gif
I am working on coming around to full circle.

I live in Kelso and Cathlamet is about 35 - 40 miles due west of us. I have a friend that lives on Puget Island. Very pretty area but quite remote from major services. Decades ago I lived in Chewelah for a while. It is a beautiful, small town - or at least it used to be. It had a very good, small hospital with a long term care wing on the back of it. So even if the town was small it had good medical services.

Vickie
Kelso, WA

I live in Kelso and Cathlamet is about 35 - 40 miles due west of us. I have a friend that lives on Puget Island. Very pretty area but quite remote from major services. Decades ago I lived in Chewelah for a while. It is a beautiful, small town - or at least it used to be. It had a very good, small hospital with a long term care wing on the back of it. So even if the town was small it had good medical services.

Vickie
Kelso, WA
Hi Vickie! Too funny that you know all the places!!! We actually looked at a few pieces of land in Chewelah, it is beautiful. One of the things we liked about the Coleville area is there seems to be good healthcare centrally located. That is a great thing!

Have a great day!

Tammy

Looks like a hen to me. I had a New Hampshire hen that crowed until I got a rooster. She was glad to give up her position.
Well...everyone who has responded has said "hen" so I'm going to wait and see. I just read an article in True Grit Magazine about how hens will sometimes crow when there is no rooster. This chicken has been bossy and mouthy from day one. The birds are all about 5 months old, I suppose in another month or two we should see something more definite--like eggs maybe...lol....

Thanks for the responses.

Vickie
Kelso, WA
I live in Winlock so I have heard of Cathlamet. What breeds do you raise?

The Blue Copper Marans hen is one of my fav hens and a real steady layer...maybe 5 eggs a week and very good hen...friendly and curious and very tame. Her chicks have her. personality and very stunning. I used a direct Bev Davis roo on her. Hope the chick turns out to be a hen.
I have some SFH and some Blue CM eggs in the incubator and they will hatch next week. Then I am going to put some Legbar eggs and some Blue Maran eggs in this week.

Dianne... Where did you get the SFH eggs? Are they local? Wish I had acerage, I'd like to have more chickens!!! You have such a nice mix, I'm jealous!

Hey There and Welcome to all the New Folks!
frow.gif

To those discussing the area around Colville and Kettle Falls.... Remember the winters can get really cold with deep snow.
wink.png
Although it's a beautiful area the economy is always a challenge in that part of the state. I've had family there as long as I can remember, and they work really hard to make it all work. I love visiting, but I'm too much of a sissy to make it my permanent home.

I live in Winlock so I have heard of Cathlamet. What breeds do you raise?

I have a flock of egg layers of quite a few breeds - My layer hens are 1 Cuckoo Maran - she is the only one left of my very first chickens. She is 2 1/2 years old and lays a large darker brown egg with speckles. 2 Easter Eggers that lay blue-green eggs, 1 Black Jersey Giant that lays a lovely medium dark brown egg; 1 Welsummer who lays a darker brown egg, 4 Rhode Island Red pullets - I am getting small pullet eggs of a medium brown at this time, 2 Black Australorp pullets who are giving me pinkish pullet eggs - but they are getting bigger! 3 leghorn pullets who are laying white eggs that are getting bigger, and finally a "mystery chick" that has turned out to be a very large white pullet... who lays a beautiful olive green colored egg! Last of all, I have two 7 week old Black Jersey Giant/Cochin chicks that my broody Easter Egger hatched and brooded for me. I am pretty sure they are roos because they didn't get feathers on their heads until they were 5 weeks old. They are jet black with feathered legs. They are going to be huge! Here is a picture of one of them with their broody Mom:

and here is a picture of the eggs I am getting:

I am starting to breed Araucana. I have 2 tufted BBred roosters and one clean faced gold something "baby" rooster. He is quite confused. Today there was a horrible screech/scream emanating from their pen so he is trying to crow.
hide.gif
Later on, he was clucking like hen,
hu.gif
Pretty silly boy.
lau.gif
I have 1 BBred hen a red pyle hen who lay lovely blue eggs, and 4 dark colored and blue pullets who have not started laying yet. Here are some pictures of them:

This is Buckyand

This is Cowboy:

and this is Buddy:

Right now, I have 8 Easter Egger eggs and 11 Araucana eggs in the incubator. This is my very first attempt at incubating and I am on day 18. I just "locked them down". So far all 19 eggs have been developing. I am on pins and needles hoping I have done everything right.

What kind of chickens do you have/breed?

Vickie
Kelso, WA.

Stinking Coyotes - yipping and howling going up and down the hill in front of my house, probably trying to lure out one of my dogs to eat as they are barking insanely in response; but they are not nearly as loud as the coyotes. Dogs are safely in their enclosure with the chickens between them and the coyotes. Chickens, even the roosters are silent! They are safe in their strong coops, but I am sure they can overhear it all. Funny - I walked to my office and flipped on my light since I can't sleep with all the noise and the coyotes went silent and headed back down the hill. I hate coyotes. Much rather hear an elk bugle, though they are loud enough to wake me as well.

We have guns for this!

[COLOR=800080]Hey There and Welcome to all the New Folks![/COLOR]  :frow

To those discussing the area around Colville and Kettle Falls....  Remember the winters can get really cold with deep snow.  ;)   Although it's a beautiful area the economy is always a challenge in that part of the state.  I've had family there as long as I can remember, and they work really hard to make it all work.  I love visiting, but I'm too much of a sissy to make it my permanent home. 

I managed to write and forget to post a comment that said about the same thing; a friend of mine moved to twenty miles north of Priest Lake, ID (which is the nearest town to much of Pend Oreille and Ferry counties) and advises everyone thinking of making that move to rent before buying. They sunk every cent they owned into a forty and it took them nearly two decades to disentangle themselves from the place without impoverishing themselves in the process. There are ways in which it's like moving into off-the-grid Alaska, although at least it's light some of the day when it's below zero and five feet of snow in February (and beyond- the latest thaw while they were there was May Day).

There are places in Eastern Washington I'd move: Prosser, Entiat, Waterville, Washtucna. Heck, I even like Sprague. But up in the Selkirks is not high on my list.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom