Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I am planning on going to the WFF show in Chehalis. I will be showing a double tufted black bantam pullet Araucana I purchased from Steve Waters. I have never shown a chicken before so he gave me a list of things to do to prepare for the show. My first show I ever attended was at Vancouver a few weekends ago. I had my husband with me - who hates chickens but he tolerated two hours. I thought that was a miracle. Got to meet Jenn Neshoba and Cynthia Smith besides Steve Waters at that show. I hope to meet more people at this show.

It really doesn't get to cold in the puget sound area. Even with all the ice and snow in January 2011, all my birds played in it and didn't even huddle at night. They were only unhappy about not having access to the grass, so I gave them alfalfa hay.

I have been in Washington for one year now. I know we were spoiled last year with the mild winter. This will be my first winter with chickens here. I lived in Colorado with chickens most of my life. Put the babies in my extra bath tub in the spring when they came in the mail. Heat lamps with extension cords running everywhere. REALLY hoping not to have to do that this year. Chicken coop is pretty warm and they have lots of bedding. The house is up off the ground about a foot.I open everything in the day to keep the air flowing and have canvas blinds on the windows to keep out drafts at night. I know if it gets too cold my garage will become a temp coop with heaters and lamps. How cold would you say is too cold?

I have been in Washington for one year now. I know we were spoiled last year with the mild winter. This will be my first winter with chickens here. I lived in Colorado with chickens most of my life. Put the babies in my extra bath tub in the spring when they came in the mail. Heat lamps with extension cords running everywhere. REALLY hoping not to have to do that this year. Chicken coop is pretty warm and they have lots of bedding. The house is up off the ground about a foot.I open everything in the day to keep the air flowing and have canvas blinds on the windows to keep out drafts at night. I know if it gets too cold my garage will become a temp coop with heaters and lamps. How cold would you say is too cold?

Looks like you're in the south sound region? It's unlikely you'll ever see cold like you had in Colorado. Sometimes there's snow, but rarely enough to really worry about. Snow doesn't usually stick around for more than a few days here.

Hello to fellow Washingtonians!

Joining the duck clans. Getting a pair of the following and hope to show in the spring.

Australian Spotted - Blue
Australian Spotted - Silver
Australian Spotted - Green
Call - Blue Fawn
Call - Pastel

Mandarin

Hoping to go to the Chehalis show and have sent in my dues to the Washington Feather Fancy group. :)

Amy
Issaquah WA

Amy
Issaquah WA
welcome-byc.gif
Hi Amy -glad you joined us. We don't have fancy ducks, only Muscovies (because they taste good!)

Joining the duck clans. Getting a pair of the following and hope to show in the spring.
Australian Spotted - Blue
Australian Spotted - Silver
Australian Spotted - Green
Call - Blue Fawn
Call - Pastel
Mandarin
Hoping to go to the Chehalis show and have sent in my dues to the Washington Feather Fancy group. :)
Amy
Issaquah WA

That's quite the list. Pictures, of course, are required at some point. I always admire the ducks. I just can't handle the mess!

That's quite the list. Pictures, of course, are required at some point. I always admire the ducks. I just can't handle the mess!
WHAT MESS!

Seriously, we have no more mess with ducks than with chickens. But then we have a big pasture and a pond, so the ducks are out all the time (they have NO housing) even during winter. One advantage, we have had absolutely NO sickness with the ducks - can't say the same for chickens, plus with big ducks, predators aren't an issue
yesss.gif

Last edited:
WHAT MESS!
Seriously, we have no more mess with ducks than with chickens. But then we have a big pasture and a pond, so the ducks are out all the time (they have NO housing) even during winter. One advantage, we have had absolutely NO sickness with the ducks - can't say the same for chickens, plus with big ducks, predators aren't an issue
yesss.gif
Ha! Well, no pond, 0.25acre city lot... Um. yeah. Mess. LOL. And with no housing, and little cover, somethin' would get 'em. Probably starting with my dog.

Back
Top Bottom