Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Hi, noticed on Craig's list (Snohomish) that there is someone in Lynnwood selling a large number of different breeds and ages of chicks. Didn't say if they were from hatcheries or self raised. Even Swedish flower hens and Cream Legbar.

Also in Lake Stevens, an ad for many types and ages of ducks including Muscovey

His Cream Leg and Swedes and Rhodebars are not quite old enough to be laying. I sold him some Swedish and the Rhodebars....but they will be close to lay. I think the Legbars are from a person on Redmond. He wants to get into rare breeds. Nice guy. The Swedes, Rhodebar and his main Legbar roo are from me and from GFF directly.(my extra stock). He just got them just over a week or so ago. Hope that helps.

I will be selling eggs and chicks soon. In about a week, I will have Marans chicks for sale. In spring I will have various ages of chickens. Some Legbar chicks in about a month.

Quote: Good question. I'd be surprised if they're true AMs, but if you find out please let us know. I really wish they would label EEs and AMs correctly, it creates so many misunderstandings!

There are no Ameraucanas listed. Americanas are listed, which is another name for ee's.

Imp- they are labeled correctly.

Last edited:
We let a broody hen hatch out some babies and we got some roosters from that hatch. We are planning on eating the roos. At what age should we process them? They are Turkens and Barred rock mixes. Thank you for your reply.

Quote: Good question. I'd be surprised if they're true AMs, but if you find out please let us know. I really wish they would label EEs and AMs correctly, it creates so many misunderstandings!

There are no Ameraucanas listed. Americanas are listed, which is another name for ee's.

Hi Imp.... Thanks for the additional information. But I respectfully disagree that they are "labeled correctly". I don't feel that misspelling a breed name constitutes "correct". Way too many people don't know the correct spelling of Ameraucana and when they see "americana" they are naturally going to assume it means Ameraucana. At best I'd call the sellers ignorant of the breed, and more honestly I'd say they are purposely deceiving the public.

Would those places sell a puppy labeled German Sheperd without telling the buyer it's not a German Shepard?

Perhaps if more customers would call them on it they would improve.

Hi Imp.... Thanks for the additional information. But I respectfully disagree that they are "labeled correctly". I don't feel that misspelling a breed name constitutes "correct". Way too many people don't know the correct spelling of Ameraucana and when they see "americana" they are naturally going to assume it means Ameraucana. At best I'd call the sellers ignorant of the breed, and more honestly I'd say they are purposely deceiving the public.

Would those places sell a puppy labeled German Sheperd without telling the buyer it's not a German Shepard?

Perhaps if more customers would call them on it they would improve.

I'm not sure if you are advocating that spelling is important or unimportant. Probably tens of thousands of examples of misleading spelling, in the English language. Including "Sheperd" and "Shepard".
There is a lot of opinion, information, misinformation, fact and conjecture, about the Ameraucana breed, available. I'm going to suggest that anyone looking for them. Do the research yourself.

Imp- Caveat emptor

How is everyones flocks holding up in this weather? Mine is doing okay, i keep giving them warm water throughout the day to help warm their bodies. They are eating a lot of food. I did some sugary candies in the yard which attracted lots of ants for them to eat :)

Anyone here have ideas to keep the ducks pond thawed? It's a kiddy pool. using a fish tank heater would melt it and is honestly dangerous (glass and ducks bad), I don't know what to do with it. It's solid ice. Right now they have a large dog dish i keep knocking the ice out of to refill with warm water it's deep enough (for a few minutes anyway) for them to dip their heads in.

Quote:
I'm not sure if you are advocating that spelling is important or unimportant. Probably tens of thousands of examples of misleading spelling, in the English language. Including "Sheperd" and "Shepard".
There is a lot of opinion, information, misinformation, fact and conjecture, about the Ameraucana breed, available. I'm going to suggest that anyone looking for them. Do the research yourself.

Imp- Caveat emptor

Hi again Imp,
You're correct that we must all try to be aware and do our homework. It just really rubs me the wrong way the way they handle the whole EE/Ameraucana thing. Before I bought my first birds I tried very hard to learn the difference so I would get the right one. I hadn't found BYC yet, and I really thought the feed store owners would be a reliable source of information. Boy... have I learned otherwise. But SO many people are still where I was back then. It's sad. And I feel these businesses could, with only a tiny bit of effort, make a big difference. EEs are cool, why not give them their due! Where's the need for deception?

So to answer your question, "Americana" is NOT another name for EEs. And after looking at the pdf file on Reber's website I see that they spelled it "Americauna" anyway. I disagree that spelling is wrong automatically means EE. For the knowledgeable it's a red flag, but that's all it is.

I tried to contact Reber by e-mail but they only use social media. So I posted a very polite suggestion to the effect that they check the breed standard on the Ameraucana Breeder Assoc. page to understand that Ameraucanas lay Blue eggs, not green as their on-line order sheet says. They would learn that they are selling Easter Eggers not Ameraucanas, and that helping to stop this misunderstanding would be good for their customers. They told me I was wrong, they simply made a spelling error, that they are selling Ameraucanas because they took their info directly from Privet's page, and thanked me for pointing out the misspelling.

Privet's description is:
Ameraucanas, known as “The Easter Egg Breed”, have beards, muffs and a normal tail ... Ameraucanas are excellent producers of large multicolored eggs, including blue and green.

Their photo even includes brown eggs.

When I went back to their fb page just now, to get an accurate quote, I found that my post, and their reply were deleted.
Hmmmm. They have the opportunity to place themselves a notch above their competitors. Will they?

How is everyones flocks holding up in this weather?    Mine is doing okay, i keep giving them warm water throughout the day to help warm their bodies.   They are eating a lot of food.    I did some sugary candies in the yard which attracted lots of ants for them to eat :)

Anyone here have ideas to keep the ducks pond thawed?    It's a kiddy pool.     using a fish tank heater would melt it and is honestly dangerous (glass and ducks bad), I don't know what to do with it.   It's solid ice.    Right now they have a large dog dish i keep knocking the ice out of to refill with warm water it's deep enough (for a few minutes anyway) for them to dip their heads in.   
Cool idea with the ant bait! Maybe you could stack a couple of concrete blocks in the tank and put the tank heater inside.BTW hot water actually freezes faster than cold so you're better off refilling your pool with cold water.

Cool idea with the ant bait! Maybe you could stack a couple of concrete blocks in the tank and put the tank heater inside.BTW hot water actually freezes faster than cold so you're better off refilling your pool with cold water.
Hot water actually doesn't freeze faster then cold water. It has to cool to the freezing temperature before it can freeze. It takes twice as long. If i do cold water then it freezes within a half hour, if i do hot they have water for 3 hours before i have to go change it out. i'd rather only have to go outside every 3 hours instead of every half hour.

I haven't been on here in a while. But could you local peeps help me identify some of my chickens?

Could this white hen be laying green eggs?

Rooster?

Rooster?

Thanks for any help. We got 4 new pullets in the Fall and it appears two are roosters. LOL

Back
Top Bottom