Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Hang in there, most of us DO support each other, the rest you should learn to ignore, and above all, avoid arguments.
Each has an opinion...and some push a wee bit harder on their opinion than others.
This does not make them 'right'

It just makes them 'pushier' and hopefully I've spelt that correctly, otherwise our resident Englishwoman may correct me...would not be the first time...oh I miss ya Katy !
hugs.gif

In any event, everyone can voice their experiences here, and hopefully not be hurt or "stung" by another's personal opinion...but learn....research before you react, in all situations of your life, not just here !
wink.png
@Chickielady , miss ya too. How's it now that you are actually living in a "house" wonderful I bet . . .
celebrate.gif

My Silver Cuckoo Marans are to die for, the best birds I have, and if I had but 1 breed to choose, they would be the ones.
Robust, heavy, even the hens.
Kind, even to the point that I can stoop and pick one up without her too much distressed.
Cock birds are so effectionate and vigilante it amazes me.
I have never seen another male of any breed as vigilant of his females as this line.
I have hear horror stories of all breeds, inclucing Marans, and even Silver Cuckoos.
This is a problem that we as breeders need to deal with otherwise our flocks will fall to negative issues, including flogging and egg eating to mention just  a few.
My Cuckoos lay year round, LARGE to Jumbo eggs, and are effectionate as lap dogs.

How does their type hold up? Weight? I'd ask about color but that's a non-standard variety.

http://www.mariasjerseygiants.com/

There is numerous web sites for Maria's line...........................I have admired for years.
I have it now.....:D
Her birds are direct lineage to Golda Miller, best Jerseys in the world.

Almost every Giant in the US can be traced back to Golda Miller. Just a word about lines, it doesn't matter who's name you out on it, once that person is no longer directly involved in the selection of breeders and culling of offspring? Throw it all out the window. You know how quickly someone can ruin a line?

Best Giants right now are probably Ed & Shawna Smith of Colton, OR. They've been winning up and down the west coast including Best of Breed (and Reserve American? Might have been Champion American) in a large class at Stockton. Sher's are awfully nice too.

Thanks for the reply BGmatt:) and Yea I have gotten Jersey Giants from Sher before and I need it to be close to maturity by September and how much do Langshans roosters weigh at full maturity? 

Standard weight is 9.5 lbs for a cock bird. Most good lines are above that. The height is where the size comes in, many cock birds can't be shown in standard height cages if they're from decent lines (folks put 2x4's on edge under the cages, or mainly show females). Even my young cockerel is over 26" tall, they make Giants look small, just not quite as much meat. They are slow growing though as an Asiatic breed, and the tail takes forever to grow. Pullets are show able at about 7 months, but I've rarely seen a male that could be shown until over a year.

Last edited:
I have so many breeds....I have invested in an egg candler...which does not work near as well as my new LED mini mag light.
The mini mag works cuz it is narrow, and hold it to an egg, no light escapes.
I have many little flashlights but their lenses (crystals where the light comes out) are so big around, that the lense hits the egg & light leaks around.
The LED mini mag works AWESOME.
Took me 1500 years of poultry farming to find this perfect flashlight...LOL
old.gif

yeah i usually am good at candling, maybe i need new batteries in my flashlight.

@Chickielady , I saw the photos of the show. So that's his Daddy huh? Well, I have to say mine is the nicest bird I think I've ever had. I don't like "black" but his temperament is superb. He's just a really splendid boy.
What is most noticible here, as you have most likely noticed, is what the girth is on a cockerel, and that of a 1+ yr old cock.
Yes they grow slower, and in the 2-6 mo of age I'll say they can put away a fairly large amount of high protein feed...LOL
Lovely all the same, these birds are gentle as can be !
Cocks have been seen with + spurs, yet never have I seen any used against humans.
They' re formidible against native predetours.....................heavier than a Eagle.....

This bird has Sumatra lines, as is shown in a spur bud..and the soles of the feet are yellow~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(as are Javas)

If you look closely at the last bird on the hill...see the yellow sole ?

Mustard feets~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
lol.png

Last edited:
Hey guys! So I bought a lavender orpington and a barnevelder. I thought the lavenders layed a light purplish egg and the barnevelder a darker brown egg? I also thought they were both giving me eggs until this morning I got what looks to be a first time layers egg. Small and a little bloody. But also GREEN!? So confused!! Who layed what? Lol

Orpington will lay a shade of tan light to dark. Green is from a EE, some say Easter egger some say Oliver egger, than if you get them from a feed store they sometime s call them Ameracuana.

Back
Top Bottom