Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I found out today that its my lavender orpington laying blue green eggs. So weird.

beautiful egg! Can you post a pic of your lavender orpington? I'd love to see her. I have some in my incubator now. :)

Uh oh... why not go to Baxter Barns? We're very new to raising chickens (as in neither one of us have every done it), and since they were close we went there. Chickens seem to be okay, healthy, etc., and he had some good advice. Wasn't to terribly personable, but I can get over that if the product is good. They sell their own feed too, which we've been giving to the girls, but if you have any information about poor feed, etc., we'd appreciate that.
Mel

Only thing I've seen from them is dishonest advertising, claiming to sell "Heritage" breeds, but the only even semi-official definition of "heritage" is the Livestock Conservancy one that includes being standard bred, and Baxter Barns birds are hatchery quality, not good examples of the breed.

Edit: Nevermind they seem to have removed that wording from their website. The part about it being hatchery quality still remains.

Last edited:
Than its not a Lav Orpington could you have gotten a Lav Americana? If not you have a EE, can you post a picture of the bird.

Heres a pic of my lav orpington amd barnevelder. I went to the guys property and saw his birds. Hes the real deal. I just texted him and he said they are a brown egg layer but a very rare bunch will lay green eggs. So I got a very rare lavender orp? Lol. Sorry shes not too pretty... I came outside a few months ago and found my dog chewing on her. I thought she was gonna die but shes my survivor and healing great!
[/IMG]

Uh oh... why not go to Baxter Barns? We're very new to raising chickens (as in neither one of us have every done it), and since they were close we went there. Chickens seem to be okay, healthy, etc., and he had some good advice. Wasn't to terribly personable, but I can get over that if the product is good. They sell their own feed too, which we've been giving to the girls, but if you have any information about poor feed, etc., we'd appreciate that.
Mel

I only have been there once to buy my barnie but they are just hatchery birds. When I went I was so disappointed. He had 100s of chicks over stuffed in a cage and alot were unhealthy and dieing and he was just careless towards them. Its probably just business for him but I care for my animals and spend enless hours cleaning and making sure they each have enough room. I bought his feed a few times also. I like to be as organic as I can and he said its not organic or gmo. Its just loaded with vitamins. My girls have a quarter acre to free range so I just buy organic pellets and they free range. This is just my opinion! Others may like him. Like I said I went there once. But that was enough for me lol

Heres a pic of my lav orpington amd barnevelder. I went to the guys property and saw his birds. Hes the real deal. I just texted him and he said they are a brown egg layer but a very rare bunch will lay green eggs. So I got a very rare lavender orp? Lol. Sorry shes not too pretty... I came outside a few months ago and found my dog chewing on her. I thought she was gonna die but shes my survivor and healing great!
[/IMG]

I know the guy you are talking about, he is a nice person. But nope they don't lay that color. I was hopping with the picture it would show the comb better. She's a keeper for sure with what she went through.

I only have been there once to buy my barnie but they are just hatchery birds. When I went I was so disappointed. He had 100s of chicks over stuffed in a cage and alot were unhealthy and dieing and he was just careless towards them. Its probably just business for him but I care for my animals and spend enless hours cleaning and making sure they each have enough room. I bought his feed a few times also. I like to be as organic as I can and he said its not organic or gmo. Its just loaded with vitamins. My girls have a quarter acre to free range so I just buy organic pellets and they free range. This is just my opinion! Others may like him. Like I said I went there once. But that was enough for me lol

I very much appreciate your candor. Not really knowing what to expect, I do come away from there (been there three times so far) a bit disappointed with the level of care toward customers's needs. They do seem to always be busy. I don't suppose it could hurt to go look at a few other places to determine good feed, etc. Any insight into what's best to feed the growing girls? They are a bit over 6 weeks old now and seem to be fine. I give them some meal worms as treats (they love them), but have been told to not yet give them vegetable scraps, etc. We did put some grit in the cage as well. I still have a light on them and they're still in the basement room until the weather gets warm enough (and dry enough) for us to put the coop in place.
Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom