Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I don't know anyone with Cayugas but they are easier to find than East Indies. People often think they have East Indies when they actually have Cayugas.

I have had eye ointment in the past but I would have to look for some so that is why I was wondering if the triple antibiotic is okay to use. An eye doctor had posted somewhere that it is okay but then people can post anything they want, whether or not it is true. I am not sure if the eye can be saved but I don't want to cause more problems than I am treating. I also don't want to have to kill her unless her eyelid is so compromised that her eye will not stay clean. I need to do everything I can for her but I also don't want to keep her in a cage for long.
Triple antibiotic ointment is not for eyes.
Go with Veterycin.
In case you have none, mix the chlorine solution by half, and apply it.
That would be 1 cup of householdbleach in 1 gallon of water.
Take this in a spray bottle.
OR
Go to the feed store & buy a bottle of veterycin spray.

I do believe they were red mites, they were small and his read end almost looked sandy until I looked closer and saw it was millions of bugs and big poo/old blood. I treated him with Ivomec topically and they were gone by the next morning.

edited by staff
Alot of "Sandiness" in the "Crotch" area is Red Northern Mites, and easy to get rid of !!!
Did you use Eprinex Topica,l or Ivomectrin injectible or ?
I am so tired after all that went on today...but it is nice that you cared for the bird, and let's all help each other out here...............OK ?
EVERYONE ???????????????????????

I have the best garden going in...but I have an inkling that Broodytood is gonna rival my garden !!!!!!!!!!!!
Good to see her back !
celebrate.gif

I do believe they were red mites, they were small and his read end almost looked sandy until I looked closer and saw it was millions of bugs and big poo/old blood. I treated him with Ivomec topically and they were gone by the next morning.

edited by staff
Bleenie I do want to say I LOVE the hen saddles you have....Crochetted ?
They are beautiful !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I sew saddles, but those you have made with a breast bib is absolutely awesome !
Have any for sale ?
I'd love to have a few in my first aide kit !
PM Me !!!

I don't know anyone with Cayugas but they are easier to find than East Indies. People often think they have East Indies when they actually have Cayugas.

I have had eye ointment in the past but I would have to look for some so that is why I was wondering if the triple antibiotic is okay to use. An eye doctor had posted somewhere that it is okay but then people can post anything they want, whether or not it is true. I am not sure if the eye can be saved but I don't want to cause more problems than I am treating. I also don't want to have to kill her unless her eyelid is so compromised that her eye will not stay clean. I need to do everything I can for her but I also don't want to keep her in a cage for long.
Triple antibiotic is NOT OK in the eyes !
You need to go to your feed store & buy some Veterycin spray OR see a vet & buy a TINY TUBE of EYE OINTMENT.
In your situation I think getting verterycin spray for the eye is the best.
I guess I am spelling it wrong:

http://vetericyn.com/benefits/vetericyn_products.php

And not sure if this is a BYC "backer"
I make my own, and always have, as most of the folks here on BYC know.
As most of the oldsters on all threads here know.
At this point I am not going to introduce recipes for herbal or home health care.
Y'all oughta know by now & this old woman is tired.
G'night all !

frow.gif

Thanks for the feedback about antibiotic ointment, everyone. I wanted to check with others before I used something not intended for the eye. I gave her another shot of penicillin today because the eye is looking better than it was. It is a bit watery so that should help keep it cleaner but I would like to rinse the eye again. I just used warm water the first few times but I need to see what I can find at the store tomorrow. Ideally I can find an antibiotic eye wash and an eye ointment. I am not sure I want to attempt to repair the eyelid so I will wait on that for now.

Last edited:
Veterycin says it is OK for eyes, but usually you end up having to get that tiny little tube of antibiotic ($$$) at a feed store or Vet office for eyes.
Good luck, culling is never fun, especially when you have worked so hard to save them and have grown attached !
I was wondering if you knew of anyone locally who raises Cayugas ?

Holderread has Cayugas, good ones too and has for decades.

Last edited:
Holderread has Cayugas, good ones too and has for decades.
That is one place I have always wanted to visit & never have.
Year after year we just drive by there..........
Alot of people have told me besides Muscovy, Cayugas are the best eating ducks.
Compared to Muscovy, they have a far nicer temperment too !
Anyone else hear any good points (or bad) about ducks (to eat)?

Alot of "Sandiness" in the "Crotch" area is Red Northern Mites, and easy to get rid of !!!
Did you use Eprinex Topica,l or Ivomectrin injectible or ?
I am so tired after all that went on today...but it is nice that you cared for the bird, and let's all help each other out here...............OK ?
EVERYONE ???????????????????????

I have the best garden going in...but I have an inkling that Broodytood is gonna rival my garden !!!!!!!!!!!!
Good to see her back !
celebrate.gif
Thanks CL!
Not sure about my garden rivaling yours….I'm taking baby steps. Don't want to bite off more than I can chew! No pun intended! LOL

Quote: You won't "see" much at Dave's (Holderread) since he's really into bio-security. You have to look from a big distance.

His stock is good. Got goslings from him that were amazing. One day I'll get more.

Actually @Chickielady , a Muscovy male on a Pekin females makes the most amazing cross for meat. They are prized in France and England (sold as Magret) - it really is the best duck meat. The problem is, the Muscovy males must be raised with the Pekins, or he won't want to breed them. sometimes they do AI, but I don't know how to do that.

Back
Top Bottom