Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

You won't "see" much at Dave's (Holderread) since he's really into bio-security. You have to look from a big distance.

His stock is good. Got goslings from him that were amazing. One day I'll get more.

Actually @Chickielady , a Muscovy male on a Pekin females makes the most amazing cross for meat. They are prized in France and England (sold as Magret) - it really is the best duck meat. The problem is, the Muscovy males must be raised with the Pekins, or he won't want to breed them. sometimes they do AI, but I don't know how to do that.
OK, thanks for that info as I have some pekin due to hatch next Friday...I'll keep a few females (if I can sex them !) Know any good way to sex a duck ?????
lau.gif

I am NOT a duck person !

From following your information, I learned that muddy runs can cause bumblefoot by allowing too much ammonia to burn the feet. I didn't know that before. I also learned there is more than one kind of mites.

Nasty people will be nasty, and the person you were talking about will eventually be shut down, I'm sure. I've bookmarked her page so I'll remember not to have any business with her. Maybe others have done the same.
This isn't true. It's "DIRTY" runs that cause it, and mud will exacerbate it. We have a lot of mud in our pasture in the winter, and NEVER had a case of bumblefoot, but then it's kept clean by the rain. All our birds are pastured, even in winter.

People should NOT keep chickens in close confinement unless they plan on keeping pens really clean. Chickens, will, if given the opportunity, go to clean areas, which is why pasture is good for them. The problem with pasturing, is overhead predators. But then I prefer a coupl of losses that way, than from disease.

Any person who is selling unhealthy chickens should be ashamed of him/herself. I'm glad there are enough people on here who do look after their birds. And who ask questions when they need information. It's what we are all about - sharing!
big_smile.png

Hello Again Everyone!

So we sold our old flocks ( of hatchery birds) and we're starting fresh this Spring. I am hoping that some of you will have hatching eggs available for sale around March or April. This will be the very first hatch for us so I am way nervous about the success (or lack of) from shipped eggs. Let's face it, being a newbie to incubating, I will be nervous enough!

Breeds that I would be most interested in:

Brahmas
Orpingtons (any color but Buff if possible)
Jersey Giants
Any bearded, muffed, crested breeds (DH requested this one)
Other large breeds
Maybe a silky or two just for fun

Since we have had trial & error for 3 plus years :) I would like to stay away from breeds that fly well (as adults) and breeds that are known for being "active, boisterous", etc)

We live in town and there is not much opportunity to free range. We have a very large fenced area and two coops but our Minorca wasn't very happy it seemed. I think all of you experienced folks get the picture!

Thanks much!
I have Silver Appenzeller Spitzhauben eggs available. PM me.

OK guys, here is your laugh for the day:

Ya know I have been unboxing belongings that were packed away 5 years ago, when we began building this house.
And yesterday, I opened a box FULL of scrubs I forgot I had...most are bright red (the phlebotomy team
lol.png
aka: vampire scrubs) and another box I opened had a brand new still-in-the-box food processor/juicer........I didn't know I had..
I still do not remember ever buying it !

lau.gif

We have a couple of weeks (probably a month) before chicks are able to go outside. The run area for them has really long grass. I'm 5'10" and it comes to halfway up my calf. Should we mow it before putting them in there? Everything I have read says they'll have it down in no time but I worry about them getting lost in the grass (it is enclosed).

So wasn't it you who was raisning Mexican Green tomitillos volunteer ?
I actually planted starts of the ''cherry'' type because the kids like to eat them. I think the variety was Aunt Molly.
They did volunteer for a year or two which was nice but the starts were way late because our growing season is late and cold.
I do better starting them on my grow bench along with my peppers, tomatoes and eggplant.

We have a couple of weeks (probably a month) before chicks are able to go outside. The run area for them has really long grass. I'm 5'10" and it comes to halfway up my calf. Should we mow it before putting them in there? Everything I have read says they'll have it down in no time but I worry about them getting lost in the grass (it is enclosed).
If it were me, I would mow it but that's just me. :)

Anyone ever had a #1 rooster get depressed after being bumped to #2?
They normally free range together but they have been separated during hatch season and now are going at it all the time.
One of the kids accidentally let them out and the normal #1 got bested by the normal #2. Now #2 is #1 and the old #1 is acting depressed.
I gave him some Vet-RX but I wonder if I should do something more. He's not hurt that I can tell, just moping around.

Back
Top Bottom