Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Flock raiser isn't on the list.
woot.gif
I did not see Layena 40# crumble on the list either..

I am getting some odd shaped eggs from time to time. The one in the center is the plastic nest egg while the one on the left is an Orpington egg and the one on the right is an Easter Egger egg. I am obviously not hatching these so the shape does not matter but I am curious how chickens manage to lay such odd shaped eggs sometimes. I thought at first they were double yolks but when I crack them open there is only a single yolk. I had one egg that was a double yolk that was so big that I thought it was triplets. The winter hatched pullets that are starting to lay have been putting out small first eggs that look even smaller compared to the eggs I am getting from my hens!

I have Black Javas that lay an egg long & skinny like a bullet !, and then Buster's daughter's (chantecler) lay perfect round eggs like a largish golf ball.

Cuteness Alert !
Baby crested Pekins hatching !!!
Things are very ducky around here lately !

the last one still in its egg....

brothers & sisters already hatched out.................
then I cleaned all the brooder pens....

and it is absolutely monsooning here !

This morning when I was out opening coops, and at the door of the Jersey Giant coop (it was still closed) I saw something jumping at my feet out of the corner of my eye & did a hollar for help at DH (Einstein) who came running to help...and stomped on the jumping thing which turns out to be a kangaroo rat !
SERIOUSLY !

Scroll down for photo...warning, this is a dead rat !

It is all wet, DH drowned it in a bucket.
It is definetly a kangaroo rat, I have searched & cannot find ANY here in Western WA.
There was a few that looked similar in SC, a "long tailed Forest Mouse"..but they were not here in WA...this may be an invasive species...so who do you think I should report it to ?
Dept of Fish & Wildlife or a college ?
This thing was jumping like popcorn 2-3 feet straight up and so fast I could not tell what it was !

***********May be the elusive Zapus Princeps

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/cwcs/pdf/woodlandjumpingmousem.pdf
But this one looks so much darker than mine.
Mine looks like the kangaroo rat in South Carolina !

Last edited:
Pacific jumping mouse. We have them here. My cats get them sometimes
This morning when I was out opening coops, and at the door of the Jersey Giant coop (it was still closed) I saw something jumping at my feet out of the corner of my eye & did a hollar for help at DH (Einstein) who came running to help...and stomped on the jumping thing which turns out to be a kangaroo rat ! SERIOUSLY ! Scroll down for photo...warning, this is a dead rat ! It is all wet, DH drowned it in a bucket. It is definetly a kangaroo rat, I have searched & cannot find ANY here in Western WA. There was a few that looked similar in SC, a "long tailed Forest Mouse"..but they were not here in WA...this may be an invasive species...so who do you think I should report it to ? Dept of Fish & Wildlife or a college ? This thing was jumping like popcorn 2-3 feet straight up and so fast I could not tell what it was ! ***********May be the elusive Zapus Princeps http://www.dnr.sc.gov/cwcs/pdf/woodlandjumpingmousem.pdf But this one looks so much darker than mine. Mine looks like the kangaroo rat in South Carolina !

Pacific jumping mouse. We have them here. My cats get them sometimes
Thanks Hintori !
DH has told me now, That he has caught one a year or so ago...so this is not the first we've seen.
We have no outside cats either, anymore
sad.png

I miss my outdoors cats,,all himalayins, or outshoots of.
Anyone have Himalayin/main coon-type long hair BIG kittens, PM me please !

(and we just got ALL new furniture in the house !
Won't a few kitties be soooooooooooooooooooooooo happy !?!?)

big_smile.png

Last one died of old age about 4 years ago...ah yes, I miss Miss Stinky, was DH's cat.
She loved to sleep on & barf down the side of the clothes dryer.
She slept on his head at night...purring & kneading and making hair all over the pillows.and she could talk if you talked to her.
She was a Tuxedo cat.

My cat Wee Wee:

Wee Wee was so named by a Scottish woman who lived in our resort, in ClearLake Oaks, CA...she called the kitten "wee wee beauty"
Wee Wee rode around on my shoulder til she got too big, then caught flies & ripped all the curtains down...

I love this photo...
Yes Wee Wee was fun.
She brought home very alive chipmunks, mice, gophers and hummingbirds and laid them on our bed as gifts....and the funnest part about WeeWee was she LOVED paper, she ATE several paychecks left on the desk (complete with deposit slips) and she ATE cash money !
She laid on & rolled as if on catnip, every one of my watercolor paintings on French, Aquamarel 300# rag paper.......smearing paint & leaving cat hair attached to the deckled edge..........I had to be careful with paper, around Wee Wee.....

Then my brother had cool cats, til one day the cat came home no more, and brother found the cat's collar in the edges of his property, cut off with scissors.............but no sign evermore of the cat.
That was the last Bob:

Bob was large and in charge, and often resting in anyone's pathway...

LOL he laid on the back of the couch this way too LOL

Let's see others kitties !
OK ?

Last edited:
I use Scratch and peck and other organics/soy free/non-GMO. The S&P seems to be both the highest quality and most expensive.
Have you noticed a difference in the quality of the eggs with S&P and some of the others? Honestly, the non-GMO/soy free is the most important to me, but I'd prefer organic.

Back
Top Bottom