Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Hey everyone. Anyone know of a place in SW Washington where I can get a necropsy done on my birds? I am in Vancouver, but can drive a little distance. I can send them overnight to WSU in Pullman, but it will cost me close to $200. Hoping someone knows of a local office that can do it for a reasonable rate? I've called most of the local vets...not one sees chickens with enough regularity to do necropsies.Thanks!

Hey everyone. Anyone know of a place in SW Washington where I can get a necropsy done on my birds? I am in Vancouver, but can drive a little distance. I can send them overnight to WSU in Pullman, but it will cost me close to $200. Hoping someone knows of a local office that can do it for a reasonable rate? I've called most of the local vets...not one sees chickens with enough regularity to do necropsies.Thanks!
I've sent a few things to them and never had that high of a bill and shipping from eastern WA was aroung $35-$40 overnight. They have a special account with Fed Ex and UPS that you can use at a discount rate.

Thanks Pips&peeps. I called the avian lab at WSU and spoke with them in great detail over my options. They never mentioned the Fed Ex or UPS account option, so I'm guessing it's not offered anymore? USPS was the cheapest for overnight from SW Washington. I was quoted $117 for overnight. The packaging materials cost me $20.
Which is why I was hoping for a more affordable, local option.

I've sent a few things to them and never had that high of a bill and shipping from eastern WA was aroung $35-$40 overnight. They have a special account with Fed Ex and UPS that you can use at a discount rate.
Just sent the bird off with USPS.
barnie.gif

I called the lab back and asked about the discounted rate with the Fed Ex/UPS account. She apologized and said that was incorrect information, there was no "special account rate"- just to let everyone know for future reference.

Does anyone know if zgoatlady has a web site or way to contact her for eggs? PMed her but not sure how often she gets on here to check. Thanks. :)
Also looking for a Wh/Blue Wh AM cock/rel of good quality...

I watched a crow carry off something white and thought it was a splash Silkie chick but it turns out it was a bunny! We had to get a ladder to remove the headless bunny from our roof. Earlier today a crow got a newborn bunny before I got the litter in a nest box and it took its head off but this bunny was already a couple weeks old so we had just taken them out of the nest box a few hours before, thinking they would like more space to run around (the nest box is about 1'x2') and explore. When we checked the rest of the bunnies in the run, there was another one that was headless so the rest went back in the nest box. This is the first time I have ever had crows get bunnies. We have nets over the ducklings because I know they are light enough to grab but I was shocked to see a crow fly to the roof with a baby bunny. I took in the Silkies and Sizzle I put out yesterday and we have the net over the bunnies now. The Silkies lost several chicks, presumably to crows, so I confined the hen with the 5 remaining chicks inside a Soil Saver compost bin that I was using as a coop for my pair of Call ducks before I gave them a pen of their own.

I would really like to shoot these **** crows! We have a neighbor that shoots cats with a pellet gun and he may have shot at crows because they take off if we clap. They have been getting eggs but now they are going after live animals. I wonder if there is a better way to reduce the crow population and keep them out of my yard. Eating the heads off three bunnies in one day has made them more unwelcome than usual.

I watched a crow carry off something white and thought it was a splash Silkie chick but it turns out it was a bunny! We had to get a ladder to remove the headless bunny from our roof. Earlier today a crow got a newborn bunny before I got the litter in a nest box and it took its head off but this bunny was already a couple weeks old so we had just taken them out of the nest box a few hours before, thinking they would like more space to run around (the nest box is about 1'x2') and explore. When we checked the rest of the bunnies in the run, there was another one that was headless so the rest went back in the nest box. This is the first time I have ever had crows get bunnies. We have nets over the ducklings because I know they are light enough to grab but I was shocked to see a crow fly to the roof with a baby bunny. I took in the Silkies and Sizzle I put out yesterday and we have the net over the bunnies now. The Silkies lost several chicks, presumably to crows, so I confined the hen with the 5 remaining chicks inside a Soil Saver compost bin that I was using as a coop for my pair of Call ducks before I gave them a pen of their own.

I would really like to shoot these **** crows! We have a neighbor that shoots cats with a pellet gun and he may have shot at crows because they take off if we clap. They have been getting eggs but now they are going after live animals. I wonder if there is a better way to reduce the crow population and keep them out of my yard. Eating the heads off three bunnies in one day has made them more unwelcome than usual.
The funny thing with crows...They know how to tell a gun from a large stick and a clap from a gunshot. They also morn other crows that die, if they are in that family group.
That said, remove the food options and start shooting them. They will learn that the risk is to high. Smart little buggers.

Back
Top Bottom