Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I checked the Trader Joe's in B'ham and they didn't have them.
sad.png
The Market in Sedro Woolley has Rock Island Fertile eggs, but they are usually 2+ weeks old. Same goes for Community Food Co-op in B'ham. I also checked Walmart, Safeway, and Fred Meyers in Burlington and Mt. Vernon with no luck. I have a dozen 2 week old eggs from the Sedro Woolley Market in the 'bator right now - hopefully we'll get something. They are on Day 4 so far. I ran a batch through last month, but those were 3 weeks old eggs and all the kids and I ended up with was a Day 16 or so chick that had died in the shell, and a few early blood rings. Please do let me know if anyone finds them in a WA grocery store! This is fun, but I can imagine it would be MORE fun if they actually hatched!
smile.png

I checked the Trader Joe's in B'ham and they didn't have them.
sad.png
The Market in Sedro Woolley has Rock Island Fertile eggs, but they are usually 2+ weeks old. Same goes for Community Food Co-op in B'ham. I also checked Walmart, Safeway, and Fred Meyers in Burlington and Mt. Vernon with no luck. I have a dozen 2 week old eggs from the Sedro Woolley Market in the 'bator right now - hopefully we'll get something. They are on Day 4 so far. I ran a batch through last month, but those were 3 weeks old eggs and all the kids and I ended up with was a Day 16 or so chick that had died in the shell, and a few early blood rings. Please do let me know if anyone finds them in a WA grocery store! This is fun, but I can imagine it would be MORE fun if they actually hatched!
smile.png
hey you had something growing that is start of the battle maybe with fresh eggs more experience with doing it ect, you can do it least it seems like it's possible with he right eggs from the grocery store might do to speak with whomever orders find out when they get the stock in..or even if you can get the contact to their supplier..would kinda been interesting just to see what hatchs out glad a friend mentioned I should ask here lol seems like several detectives have been checking our area's out..you'll have to let us know what happens with the candling pls pls :) curious minds need to know :) what kinda bator you using?

I've checked Central Market and Trader Joe's in Kitsap County, but they didn't carry them. Too small of a market over here I would think.

Either that or maybe we're just smart enough to not buy the hype that fertilized eggs are magically more healthy. =)
thumbsup.gif
, is that why they sell advertised fertile eggs in the store?? I wondered about that
I have a small quantity of fertile eggs for sale if anyone wants some. They will all be easter eggers - moms are different LF breeds and dad is a pure crested cream legbar. Location is SE King County.
hehe can you meet me in port townsend? :p

Check regular store eggs for the bullseye. I've gotten fertile ones from Winco. It was just the regular white eggs that I bought when the girls were all molting.

If You can afford any kind of clear panels, like roofing, fiberglass or ???it works as a great windbreak, but lets light in…..I have both panels and 4x8 wood…..Its good to have a covered run to keep it dryer ( if so would need something that could withstand the weight of snow)_…….roof overhangs so You can watch from the outside and not get wet and any people doors wide enough for a wheelbarrow to fit into. This is if You have more of a large room type of pens…….but many have the smaller coops with added runs too. I have chain link pens with partial walls for wind and weather resistance, with one or more open sides…..The new pens that i have not finished, i placed windbreaks with lots of straw during the very cold days we just had…..it was almost toasty, and no frostbite.

I'm using a LG w/fan and turner. I used to incubate eggs LONG ago when I sold Guinea and Turkey hatching eggs on eBay. I wanted to re-hone my skills on some store eggs before I tried my luck with my American Bresse (if they will ever start laying!). I talked to the lady that orders the eggs at the market and they just don't get them much fresher than that. This batch we picked up the day after they were delivered and they were still 2 weeks old. Ah well! I noticed that the same brand at Community in B'ham were from the same shipment.

They are difficult to candle because they are brown - the shells really get in the way! And I'm using a cruddy cardboard box with a hole in it and a light bulb!
roll.png
I could barely see what was going on in there on day 10 last time. Never saw any veins, just a gradual darkening of the yolk. With the 17 day old guy, we saw him moving right before lock down but then he just died. He didn't even try to get out. He had feathers but was small and sort of seemed to have a little too much room in there. I'm hoping it was just that the embryos were too aged last time and we'll have better luck this go around!

I'm using a LG w/fan and turner. I used to incubate eggs LONG ago when I sold Guinea and Turkey hatching eggs on eBay. I wanted to re-hone my skills on some store eggs before I tried my luck with my American Bresse (if they will ever start laying!). I talked to the lady that orders the eggs at the market and they just don't get them much fresher than that. This batch we picked up the day after they were delivered and they were still 2 weeks old. Ah well! I noticed that the same brand at Community in B'ham were from the same shipment.

They are difficult to candle because they are brown - the shells really get in the way! And I'm using a cruddy cardboard box with a hole in it and a light bulb!
roll.png
I could barely see what was going on in there on day 10 last time. Never saw any veins, just a gradual darkening of the yolk. With the 17 day old guy, we saw him moving right before lock down but then he just died. He didn't even try to get out. He had feathers but was small and sort of seemed to have a little too much room in there. I'm hoping it was just that the embryos were too aged last time and we'll have better luck this go around!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom