Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I totally caved. I just bought an incubator.

My frizzles have fertile eggs and my Orps are starting to squat and have caught them in nest boxes practicing.

All the cute chicks everywhere I turn and finally my coop is how I want it, I just couldn't control myself! Lol

Hey any of you Whidbey Islanders - does anyone know if there is an Oak Harbor or N. Whidbey chicken club, group, etc? Or backyard "homesteader"ish type of group? Everything I can find is on the South End
sad.png

And if there isn't, would anyone be interested in forming one? We have consider ourselves "urban" backyard farmers what with the chickens, gardens, greenhouse and bees!
wink.png

Thanks,
Lori

Will hens accept chicks even if they haven't been broody? I always assumed that they would have to think that they were "theirs" before they would accept them.
no.
sometimes you can fool a broody, sitting on air or golfballs for 17 or so many days...then slip in under darkness & give her a mess of chicks & take her golfballs...but every so often the hen will hate them & kill them.
Some don't, some do.
But every one I've seen had to be broody & it had to be at least 2 weeks before you could give her chicks.

Back
Top Bottom