Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

HI, Chickielady, love your messages….have been working alot with long hours…sometimes its just good to read and sleep……..
hugs.gif

WELL, my babies hatched last night right on time (thankfully I tossed the Brinsea, thermo-hyrometer...cost ALOT and it was the farthest off of all of the digital dealy bobs I have.
Out of 3 of them in 1 incubator, all had a different reading !
The good old gQf therms-hygrometer did the best awesome job TO CALIBRATE the system.
They are weird, though....stem thermometer with a wick attached in a water supply......sure worked well.

Another awesome hatch of biels and marans today !!!

And edited to add: I tossed 2 other digital thermo-hygrometers besides the brinsea
he.gif

Last edited:
Hey all! Quick question, in case anyone nearby may have tips. I suspect one of my gals has an upper respiratory infection and I'm planning on going forward and treating it as such. Based on what I've read on this forum, am ordering some Tylan 50 online (closest feed store that carries anything other than an oral 'in the water' type antibiotic is over an hour away) but I can't find somewhere to get the syringes/needles I need to do the injections. I could've sworn I still had some lying around the house from my vet tech days, but darned if I can find them. Anyone know of where one could get a hold of 3cc syringes/needles without seeming like a druggie? haha If I can't get a hold of syringes, I'll just go with the oral antibiotic from the feed store but I'd rather treat this and nip it right in the bud since they're young and still a bit stressed with being new to the great outdoors of their coop and the darn blackbird that keeps landing on their run and 'claiming' it!

So much fun to see everyone elses hatches and baby pictures
love.gif
Makes me want more chickens but that'll surely be my eviction notice!
Are your birds OK ?
Hope they are !
fl.gif

I get my stuff from Jeffers livestock....
Type in syringes in the search box & a menu will pop up.
They carry antibiotics, vaccines, you name it.

http://www.jefferspet.com/pages/livestock

So, I planted 4 zuchini & 2 paddy pan squash out in the garden today...hopefully they survive well as we are having yet another cold spell next week............
rant.gif

My sweet meats seeds were stuck in the garden soil weeks ago, and they are venturing out to the sun very slowly & carefully...like they know there is a cold front coming again.

Bugs are eating my peas....................
somad.gif
so I neemed them.

I trapped he Chipmunk 2 X in the green house.
I want to spray paint the little devils so I know which ones I keep trapping !
They all look the same.

Then I caught 2 at once...we have 3 hav-a-heart traps for rats..so I caught 2 chippies...wish they were as smart as rats are.
So far, I have never trapped a rat !
Then Einstein caught 1.so I guess we were hit with at least 3 of the little devils and they did some nasty work on our cucumbers !
I seen then running across the driveway from the green house, cheeks packed full of cucumber leaves !
So odd !
So far today, they are staying closer to the feeder, and out of the green house.
Anyone else have these little thieving speedsters ?

So, I planted 4 zuchini & 2 paddy pan squash out in the garden today...hopefully they survive well as we are having yet another cold spell next week............
rant.gif

My sweet meats seeds were stuck in the garden soil weeks ago, and they are venturing out to the sun very slowly & carefully...like they know there is a cold front coming again.

Bugs are eating my peas....................
somad.gif
so I neemed them.

I trapped he Chipmunk 2 X in the green house.
I want to spray paint the little devils so I know which ones I keep trapping !
They all look the same.

Then I caught 2 at once...we have 3 hav-a-heart traps for rats..so I caught 2 chippies...wish they were as smart as rats are.
So far, I have never trapped a rat !
Then Einstein caught 1.so I guess we were hit with at least 3 of the little devils and they did some nasty work on our cucumbers !
I seen then running across the driveway from the green house, cheeks packed full of cucumber leaves !
So odd !
So far today, they are staying closer to the feeder, and out of the green house.
Anyone else have these little thieving speedsters ?
Things are still a bit cold here…no chipmunks, no more native red squirrels either, not smart enough…a few gray squirrels…finally getting more things in the ground, mowed the field, pruned the rest of the Apple and the new caterpillar nests. got a new rat trap, the kind they fall in and can't get out….if it works won't have to worry about poison….

Everybody that uses rat poison needs to know there are 2 main types….blood thinner which needs vit. K or chlorophyll to reverse and the other a nasty poison that has no antidote….both have similar sounding names and begin with B. Just info if you have a dog or cat that toys with vermin.

Last edited:
So, after to many conversations and trying different things to keep our girls in the pen when we want them to stay in the pen, my wife and I made the decision to clip our girls wings. The best sources of information I found on the topic, are these two links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfYcR8N8eAs

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-clip-trim-the-wing…

It has been by far the easiest thing we have done for our chickens. A pair of scissors, and some TLC.
Any of you guys clip wings as well?

My friend Kim tells a story of a Great Horned Owl she met up close & personal one dark morning.
About 5 AM she sent the daughter (about 13 yo) out to gather eggs for breakfast...and the daughter comes running back in the house scared of "some giant bird" and so out runs Kim with her spatula in her hand, and there, walking toward the coop door, was a Great Horned Owl.

He had a chicken grabbed in 1 foot, and walked with the chicken on the foot, clump! Step! Clump! Step! Since this Owl was so huge, she said about chest level on her...she decided to back away very slowly & let the Owl go...

The Owl continued walk-clumping until he was out in the open, and then spread his huge wings, and took off straight up over the pen 6' fence.
She said it was a profound meeting, and she'll never forget his huge windspread !
And the hen was screaming the whole time, and continued to scream until to far away to hear.
She covered her pen after that.

So, after to many conversations and trying different things to keep our girls in the pen when we want them to stay in the pen, my wife and I made the decision to clip our girls wings. The best sources of information I found on the topic, are these two links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfYcR8N8eAs

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-clip-trim-the-wing…

It has been by far the easiest thing we have done for our chickens. A pair of scissors, and some TLC.
Any of you guys clip wings as well?
Only the fruitcake ones that fly up in my face when I walk into the coop.
You need to show Chicken Rustler your weathervane.
I told him about it, but he has not seen it.
If you get on the WABYC(secret) FB thread, post a picture, it is so beautiful !

Back
Top Bottom