Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I had a really funny, as in odd, occurrence of one of my roosters disappearing several days in a row while out loose in the yard. He would come out of a weedy area in one corner of my yard. Tonight, I noticed one of the hens coming from that area too... so what the heck is going on??? This is an area that has spring water running into it via a pipe. I plan one day to build a pond there, and, there is water sitting in a dip in that area. This evening I walked over there to see if I could see the missing rooster. Well, there he was, up to his hocks in the water, eating duck weed of the top of the water. Now, I would expect that of a duck, but a chicken? Just too funny!

Hey all! Quick question, in case anyone nearby may have tips. I suspect one of my gals has an upper respiratory infection and I'm planning on going forward and treating it as such. Based on what I've read on this forum, am ordering some Tylan 50 online (closest feed store that carries anything other than an oral 'in the water' type antibiotic is over an hour away) but I can't find somewhere to get the syringes/needles I need to do the injections. I could've sworn I still had some lying around the house from my vet tech days, but darned if I can find them. Anyone know of where one could get a hold of 3cc syringes/needles without seeming like a druggie? haha If I can't get a hold of syringes, I'll just go with the oral antibiotic from the feed store but I'd rather treat this and nip it right in the bud since they're young and still a bit stressed with being new to the great outdoors of their coop and the darn blackbird that keeps landing on their run and 'claiming' it!

So much fun to see everyone elses hatches and baby pictures
love.gif
Makes me want more chickens but that'll surely be my eviction notice!
I would call around to all the feed stores that are close to You….Most should carry syringes and needles for livestock antibiotics….Afterwards when time is on your side you can mail-order both by the box from livestock suppliers like Jeffers and others.

Hey all! Quick question, in case anyone nearby may have tips. I suspect one of my gals has an upper respiratory infection and I'm planning on going forward and treating it as such. Based on what I've read on this forum, am ordering some Tylan 50 online (closest feed store that carries anything other than an oral 'in the water' type antibiotic is over an hour away) but I can't find somewhere to get the syringes/needles I need to do the injections. I could've sworn I still had some lying around the house from my vet tech days, but darned if I can find them. Anyone know of where one could get a hold of 3cc syringes/needles without seeming like a druggie? haha If I can't get a hold of syringes, I'll just go with the oral antibiotic from the feed store but I'd rather treat this and nip it right in the bud since they're young and still a bit stressed with being new to the great outdoors of their coop and the darn blackbird that keeps landing on their run and 'claiming' it!

love.gif
You don't mention your location. I can sell you some of mine, but you'll have to pick them up. I'm getting ready to order more so I'll just add those to my list. :)

Would to like ask thoughts on an idea we're toying with and not set in stone-

as someone wanting chicks but aren't fairly local to pick up, would you be willing to pay a gas charge for personal delivery of chicks, even tho postal is cheaper to ship but there is the risk of loss?

I'd love to get thoughts on this

Last edited:
You don't mention your location.  I can sell you some of mine, but you'll have to pick them up.  I'm getting ready to order more so I'll just add those to my list.  :)

Sorry, I'm in Ferndale, just north of Bellingham. I have one feed store left to try, see if they have syringes. Going into town tomorrow to check it out

Work...sucks that I have a mortgage and need money to buy chicken food.

Also getting ready to start up the incubator again. Trying to narrow it down to 60 eggs or less since that is what my incubator holds. As is, I have some subtracting to do.
If you need some Marek's vaccine, let me know, I have 5-6 in the fridge right now.
Oh, and I have a mortgage, too.
Be thankful, there is a lot of ppl NOW that cannot GET a mortgage.
You are lucky !

love.gif
We used Denaguard for MG................................Tylan for other issues.
540922_1.jpg

I also have GOBS of syringes and a huge crate of needles.

READ THIS :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycoplasma

Edited to add:
Don't know where you are, but I have not used any of either antibiotics on my birds in the last 5-6 years...and I am happy to say: None have been sick !
Weaning off of and culling sick fowl is part of what all of us breeders did in the early 200's.
Denaguard is expensive...so is Tylan......................

Last edited:
I had a really funny, as in odd, occurrence of one of my roosters disappearing several days in a row while out loose in the yard. He would come out of a weedy area in one corner of my yard. Tonight, I noticed one of the hens coming from that area too... so what the heck is going on??? This is an area that has spring water running into it via a pipe. I plan one day to build a pond there, and, there is water sitting in a dip in that area. This evening I walked over there to see if I could see the missing rooster. Well, there he was, up to his hocks in the water, eating duck weed of the top of the water. Now, I would expect that of a duck, but a chicken? Just too funny!
Hey That is wonderful stuff to eat ! Full of vitamins and secluded...yes indeed a wonderful place to eat !

wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom