Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Thank you Chickielady! I will certainly check it out. I finally got two ripe indigo rose tomatoes. I ate them before remembering to take a pic, but the mylar worked! IF the planting in tires and mylar works again next year, I might just keep growing these.

I use DE and fine "play" sand in morter tubs (in each coop) for dust baths, and yes, it works great for dust bathing...sometimes (if I do see mites) I can add a container of permethrin powder to the dust bath as well.

To be clear wasn't saying it was totally ineffective against mites (although I find other things more effective), those are opinions and vary by person, but there are actual university studies and hard facts that show it's useless as a wormer. That's all.

This is wrong, sorry. DE has zero effect as a wormer. See study at this link. http://www.absorbentproductsltd.com...arth-Free-Range-Organic-Laying-Hens-Study.pdf

I don't understand why you cited this article to support the view that DE has zero effect as a wormer. The article says just the opposite. To quote the abstract, "BB hens treated with dietary DE had significantly lower Capillaria FEC, slightly lower Eimeria FEC, fewer birds infected with Heterakis, and significantly lower Heterakis worm burden than control BB hens."

The abstract also states, "Relative to controls, both breeds of hens that were dusted with DE had reduced number of mites. The results of this study indicate the DE has the potential to be an effective treatment to help control parasites and improve production of organically raised, free-range layer hens."

I don't understand why you cited this article to support the view that DE has zero effect as a wormer. The article says just the opposite. To quote the abstract, "BB hens treated with dietary DE had significantly lower Capillaria FEC, slightly lower Eimeria FEC, fewer birds infected with Heterakis, and significantly lower Heterakis worm burden than control BB hens." 

The abstract also states, "Relative to controls, both breeds of hens that were dusted with DE had reduced number of mites. The results of this study indicate the DE has the potential to be an effective treatment to help control parasites and improve production of organically raised, free-range layer hens."

Try the sentence immediately before the cherry picked quotes where it says it had no significant effect. Or reading the entire study and the negligible affects.

Once again I'm reminded why I avoid this place. Just started reading again because I got some PM's, back to reality.

Last edited:
Try the sentence immediately before the cherry picked quotes where it says it had no significant effect. Or reading the entire study and the negligible affects.

Once again I'm reminded why I avoid this place. Just started reading again because I got some PM's, back to reality.

I did read the entire article. I am not interested in arguing with you about this. I suggest that those who are interested in the effectiveness of DE read the article and judge for themselves.

Hello, Am looking for a pair of girls / silkies ? any age, egg laying ability not necessary to help foster new chicks. The broodie hens i currently have are not willing to foster chicks other than their own and have often tried to hurt others. Anyone in the Arlington to Seattle area?
Thanks,eliz

Just an after thought though, if you think about it BGMatt, we kinda need your opinion. Without opposing or different experiences there is no conversation or discussion. There are new members everyday watching threads but not posting, they deserve to see both sides to be informed, involved, and kept curious and seeking.

Hello, Am looking for a pair of girls / silkies ? any age, egg laying ability not necessary to help foster new chicks. The broodie hens i currently have are not willing to foster chicks other than their own and have often tried to hurt others. Anyone in the Arlington to Seattle area?
Thanks,eliz
Will hens just take on random chicks? None of my hens like any new chicks and will attack them. Even my broody wouldn't let new chicks in with her once they were about a week old. Most of my girls are so aggressive to the little ones that I have to keep the separate until the little ones are big enough to fight back.

Can you put the new chicks in a brooder or under a heat lamp? I hope they are OK.

Back
Top Bottom