Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I have heard that phrase before "production red". What does that mean? Is there a difference between RIRs?
It sounds like you have a lovely flock!
Production Reds are a generic red bird. Rhode Island Reds are a characteristic deep mahogany red. Production Reds are usually much lighter. Generally speaking, there isn't a lot of difference between hatchery sourced RIRs, Production Reds, and New Hampshires, other than color. Darker red birds are labeled RIR, mid-tone red birds are labeled Production Reds, and the lightest reds are labeled New Hampshires. There is not a lot of breeding to meet a breed standard, they are more focused on how many eggs they can get out of the birds.
Show quality Rhode Island Reds and New Hampshires are very different from their hatchery counterparts.

HenKat....is there any way you can get the water stopped from leaking--turn it off, reroute it, wrap the pipes??? That would probably help in keeping the run dry the most. My chickens don't seem to care and will be out in the open air of their run, rain or shine.

Chickielady...thanks for asking. I'm walking pretty good now, though, the stairs can still cause me some trouble and other times, I'll walk with a waddle if I'm tired. The leg is healing pretty good and the incision doesn't bother much at all.

I am so bummed right now. When we went to eastern Oregon a few weeks back, I bought me some Salted Peanut Rolls...12 as a matter of fact so I could eat one each month until next year's hunting season when we'll go back and I'll buy some more). ..I can't find them anywhere up here in the PNW. They are like Planters Peanut Bar (I don't even know its real name) only better. Well, I ate one in October and. now, I want to eat one on my birthday but I put them away some where in my office and I can't remember where I put them.
barnie.gif
hit.gif

Hi all, I haven't posted in a while, but...
has anyone a photo of a BLUE APPLEYARD DUCK? I was looking to purchase a GOLDEN INDIAN RUNNER but was offered a BLUE APPLEYARD RUNNER drake.
Does anyone have a picture of a GOLDEN? Does it look like the one in the far back?

Oh this wind, rain and overall storminess! My poor chickens are getting blown around, and there is no keeping anything dry. My run is bordered by my house on one side, a woodpile on the opposite side and I have a third side covered with plastic. There is a tarp over part of the run and the coop. But the plastic and tarp are flapping away which scares the girls. They generally do not stay in the coop, although the last time I went out there they were hiding in a corner. I don't blame them, its tough out there!

Last edited:
Quote: Glad to hear your orpingtons are doing well! I was wonder about them as I vaccinated my chicks yesterday.
big_smile.png

I cover the outside windows in my coop with thick plastic to keep the wind out in the winter. The rest of the coop is open to the north, which rarely sees any wind. They have good ventilation without the draft and 50 mph wind blowing through there. It also keeps their sleeping area cozy in winter and usually the water doesn't free. The aquarium heater sounds like a genius idea!

Have you folks every heard about going into lockdown early to help with messed up saddle air sacs?
It helps to keep the humidity higher since the air cells get so big when they are "saddle sacs". You should hatch them in an egg carton with the air cell end up. I have hatched saddle cell eggs before. It isn't ideal, but can be done.

Glad to hear your orpingtons are doing well! I was wonder about them as I vaccinated my chicks yesterday.
big_smile.png
Yes they are doing great! My one regret is that I didn't handle them when they were young, but I was trying to respect the wishes of my first time broody mama. She REALLY didn't want me to touch them. Now they aren't as friendly as my older girls who I hand raised. Other good news about my Orpingtons is that I found homes for both of the boys! One is now living in Auburn and the other in Orting! Yay!

What types of chicks do you have in this hatch?

Back
Top Bottom