Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Battle Ground area: We have two 1 months old chicks fully feathers, like to moves them in to their coop. Is the weather still too cold for the two of them (only have 2)?

Weather been dropping below 40s. The coop does have a heat lamp with timer, we do turn the lamp off so they can sleep at night.
1 month old is too young to be without supplemental heat in that kind of temperature. You can use a red heat lamp so you don't have to worry about them 'going to sleep' but regular white lamps will be fine too. They will still need heat at night being that young in 40 degree temperature, particularly with there only being 2 of them.

Last edited:
When you cross black skinned silkie rooster with white skinnned EE hens, the girls all have light skin and the boys have black skin.

I wonder if this is due to the barring gene as well? Barring genes are very common in dominant white birds to suppress any black feathering or skin from coming through.

Silkies with the barring gene tend to have mottled skin and red combs. It's the bane of those trying to create cuckoo silkies. I had a splash hen that took me forever to figure out what the problem was with her mottled skin. The I hatched eggs from her and a blue rooster and it became obvious when she had blue cuckoo sons and splash ones with the same skin problem. I lost her to a hawk not long after.

And I'm wrong on the pairing results for the silkie rooster to EE hens. I looked up the pictures. The GIRLS had the black skin, the boys had the lighter skin that was more grey. Black skin is a sex linked trait. Since females only get one copy of it anyway anyway on the Z and they get that from their father. The sons get a Z gene from each parent.

Hmm now my brain is in gear some. So I guess that makes black skin incomplete dominant? The chicks are easily sexable by skin color though

Silkies with the barring gene tend to have mottled skin and red combs. It's the bane of those trying to create cuckoo silkies. I had a splash hen that took me forever to figure out what the problem was with her mottled skin. The I hatched eggs from her and a blue rooster and it became obvious when she had blue cuckoo sons and splash ones with the same skin problem. I lost her to a hawk not long after.

And I'm wrong on the pairing results for the silkie rooster to EE hens. I looked up the pictures. The GIRLS had the black skin, the boys had the lighter skin that was more grey. Black skin is a sex linked trait. Since females only get one copy of it anyway anyway on the Z and they get that from their father. The sons get a Z gene from each parent.

Hmm now my brain is in gear some. So I guess that makes black skin incomplete dominant? The chicks are easily sexable by skin color though
I love hearing the genetics of them, I wish my mind was still intact

In your cross definitely different genetics are at play then. I don't know about extended black being a sex linked trait, I haven't heard that. If it is a variation of red crossed to silver mix that follows the Red Sex link cross pattern.

In my case, my White Leghorn has barring which I confirmed with future generations having the barred gene from her son crossed to solid black hens. My suspicion is that the barring gene hiding under dominant white is what is producing my sex linked chicks because of the suppression of shank color and black feathers in cockerels. The hens/pullets on the other hand have large obvious black splotches and dark shanks with a single gene of dominant white. This follows the method of creating "black sex links" where a non-barred rooster is crossed to a barred hen, but in my case the barred gene is hidden but still obvious in the F1 cross. The boys inherit the barring gene and single dominant white from mom, girls inherit the W chromosome without the barring gene from mom.

I wish I had the tme to read through all 1165 pages lol....but I just wanted to say hello!
I'm from vancouver and recently started my 1st flock! They are a week old and doing well in their brooder! :)

Ahh found some pictures of the splash hen that had barring. You can see the weird skin mottling. Interestingly the splashes on her feathers were not barred.

Here is her blue cuckoo son I kept for a while. He also had the weird skin.

My left ACL went in the shepard ring, had a minor stroke then graves disease took most of my vision
and they found my spinal column is closing in my neck. the little bees in my feet
are neuropathy caused by years of chemicals... and the list goes on..
I do not slow down or give in.......and will not wine or bore with more....
lau.gif
Your nor whining, just allowing us all to understand that some days are much more difficult to enjoy. though not like you, i have back problems that are both spine and inflamation…The chiro is fixing the spine but have drastically changed my diet, adding Tumeric, ginger, kombacho, minimal sugar, flour, fats, most ly eat proteins and green vegitables…..have begun noticing more energy and less inflamation pain.

Back
Top Bottom