Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

The Clatsop County fair last year was pretty bad. A Barred Rock won first place, the only problem was, it was entered as a Silver Laced Wyandotte.
lau.gif

It was over Rhode Island Reds that I got into an argument with one person. Could not get them to understand about hatcheries just having production reds. The other was a person at the county fair who was going on and on about how high of quality and breeding the "blue wheaten americana" their kid had entered were. The birds were the wild partridge color that is so typical of hatchery EEs. When i called her out on color, she started insisting that they were actually silver "americana" then. Someone is trying to improve things at the county fair here bird wise i think. Some 4H club really getting the kids into quality birds. I saw a couple actual ameraucana last year. And even the random people were commenting on some of the different breeds of pretty birds entered. Even they could tell the difference. The amount of feathering on a well bred silkie verses a hatchery one makes them look like different breeds.
[COLOR=0000FF]I have, for years gone to fairs and competed...with my birds, rabbits, turkeys and art work.[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF]Of course I always come home with first place & special awards and BB & BS............................but seriously I gave it alot of thought & talk with a fellow competitor and we realized what we were doing was not making it much fun for the kids.[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF]These kids need to learn how fun it is to show, and what to look for & how to show.[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF]They get so excited when they get a ribbon, and most just grab a chicken out of their yards to bring.....but it is a start, it is a seed of interest we can plant for them.[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF]When they get older, they of course learn more.[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF]And then they can join a Poultry Club & further compete.[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF]I love to go help at the poultry barn at the fair.[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF]Like you said, it does help everyone learn correctly.[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF]My Blue Wheaten Am cockerel:[/COLOR] hahahahaha ! Mr. Peeps.a midget white young Tom What I do not care for in the Fairs, is that the birds & animals have to remain on premasis for so long..usually at least 4 days (3 nights) and I am always afraid they will be stolen, overheat, run out of food/water or just be so super stressed out as to make them sick.
I don't believe anyone over 18 can enter the poultry show here at the county fair. I looked and looked for any way i could enter an educational exhibit of ameraucana and EEs to show differences and there just wasnt any way for an adult. I know a lot of the birds are 4H showmanship. I also know that it's an adult telling these kids to put down wheaten for a bird that is no where near that color.

@Chickielady

I've always heard the saying as sticks in my craw. Crop and craw were always used interchangeably by Grandma so I had to go look it up because you made me curious about a word. Some of the words she picked up from Grandpa who was from Missouri and I know some southern terms can be odd to outside ears. Apparently craw is just archaic now.

Omg writing fanfiction as a hobby while hubby is away I've gotten a ton of education on how many archaic words i actually use (I write like i speak and know understand why Mom can't understand some of what i say. I blame it on to many books, RPGs, and being down south to long. Mostly the book thing probably. Only hubby understood when I said something about a Dyson Sphere. Ok, maybe it was the RPGs. We played to many scifi tabletop stuff. You actually have to learn to play those things.)

Been reading whole articles on past tense irregular verbs lately. I didn't know i used so many of them and that was how i was taught in school!

Quote: I don't believe anyone over 18 can enter the poultry show here at the county fair. I looked and looked for any way i could enter an educational exhibit of ameraucana and EEs to show differences and there just wasnt any way for an adult. I know a lot of the birds are 4H showmanship. I also know that it's an adult telling these kids to put down wheaten for a bird that is no where near that color.
There is an "open show" section, and a "youth" section, usually supported through FFA and 4H. Try the county fairs website for the forms ^^ I think for open, there is only breed standard, unfortunately :/ other wise you would probably have to enter the fair as a "vendor" and educate in that way.

I don't believe anyone over 18 can enter the poultry show here at the county fair. I looked and looked for any way i could enter an educational exhibit of ameraucana and EEs to show differences and there just wasnt any way for an adult. I know a lot of the birds are 4H showmanship. I also know that it's an adult telling these kids to put down wheaten for a bird that is no where near that color.
Out here, we have either "Open" or 4-H...that's it.
The 4-H actually has it's own everything..................art, jams, jellies, preserving, sewing, pies, cakes, wood working, floral, etc.

I guess you would have to talk to the superintendant of Poultry early in the year to develope some educational exhibits, if there was room for such.

@Chickielady

I've always heard the saying as sticks in my craw. Crop and craw were always used interchangeably by Grandma so I had to go look it up because you made me curious about a word. Some of the words she picked up from Grandpa who was from Missouri and I know some southern terms can be odd to outside ears. Apparently craw is just archaic now.

Omg writing fanfiction as a hobby while hubby is away I've gotten a ton of education on how many archaic words i actually use (I write like i speak and know understand why Mom can't understand some of what i say. I blame it on to many books, RPGs, and being down south to long. Mostly the book thing probably. Only hubby understood when I said something about a Dyson Sphere. Ok, maybe it was the RPGs. We played to many scifi tabletop stuff. You actually have to learn to play those things.)

Been reading whole articles on past tense irregular verbs lately. I didn't know i used so many of them and that was how i was taught in school!
I have noticed you often have your own language, which I guess is from gaming ?
And I still understand you...you speak chicken very well...
And I'm teasing about the crop.
I personally think the world would be much better off if our words were SPELT FONIKLEE <--------------------------LOL

Einstein spells everything phonically & I have such a time trying to understand some of his words...and some are quite funny!
trying to read the shopping list is a hoot....like
"manase"..............
big_smile.png
burretoes...............spuds (easy )..............sereal....................broklee......................
gig.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom