Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Do any of you use ash from the wood stove as a dust bath for your chickens? Mine love it!!
smile.png
What a good idea have not here but use it when the path gets so muddy also
my girls use the shavings as I use deep litter method

Why the heck are they still in the HOUSE?! They could have been out weeks ago. Mine go straight from the incubator to the garage brooder (average temp out there is 50*). By the time they are 4 weeks old, they are feathered in and outside.

Yours don't take eight weeks to get all their feathers? I've always waited eight weeks till they are outside completely if the weather is cold.

At 3 weeks my silkies are halfway in on feathers. It's 70° in the bathroom so they don't usually go under the brooder anymore for warmth. They sleep in a pile in front of it.

Yours don't take eight weeks to get all their feathers? I've always waited eight weeks till they are outside completely if the weather is cold.
I use the heating pad cave method. And the ambient temp of the brooder is usually between 40 to 50 degrees. The chicks get to choose just how much warmth, or how little warmth they want. They feather in very quickly. Keeping them too warm actually makes them take longer to feather in.

I use the heating pad cave method. And the ambient temp of the brooder is usually between 40 to 50 degrees. The chicks get to choose just how much warmth, or how little warmth they want. They feather in very quickly. Keeping them too warm actually makes them take longer to feather in.
I use this method too and it works very well. The sooner they are outside and on soil the better.

Back
Top Bottom