Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I looked on the map and I'm actually southcentral wa,
I'm located above Hood River.
Thanks for the interest!
I'll change were I'm located to south central!
Thanks,
Gabe
okay well thinking I need maybe a cockerel say about August?
I would be willing to take one earlier if it is new hatch and would prefer to take one as new hatch
so I can be big bird or momma bird..
and I am PennyJo

Last edited:
Hi everybody, This question is mainly for those in Whatcom County but anyone that has experience with it I would love to hear from you. Here's our situation. We just recently moved to just under 5 acres. Succefully moved our 12 chickens and added 20 more layer chicks! What we want to do is add blueberries to the property and sell our eggs as well. (We're in a really good location for this.) So the big hurdle is getting our property switched over to a farm/ag land classification. This of course would help us with our property tax. I know you have to earn a minimum of $1500 for at least 3 of the 5 years. What I don't know is how hard it isn't to get your property switched over to this?
Does anyone here have this experience?
Thanks in advance!

Hi everybody, This question is mainly for those in Whatcom County but anyone that has experience with it I would love to hear from you. Here's our situation. We just recently moved to just under 5 acres. Succefully moved our 12 chickens and added 20 more layer chicks! What we want to do is add blueberries to the property and sell our eggs as well. (We're in a really good location for this.) So the big hurdle is getting our property switched over to a farm/ag land classification. This of course would help us with our property tax. I know you have to earn a minimum of $1500 for at least 3 of the 5 years. What I don't know is how hard it isn't to get your property switched over to this?
Thanks in advance!
You did not say what kind of a classification it has just now?

Thanks in advance!
Would have been better to purchase a property that was already zoned for agriculture. I'm not sure how difficult it is in Whatcom county to get zoning changed, but in Pacific County, it is next to impossible. There is just so much red tape to get through. The good news is that there is a right to farm law that allows you to sell excess seasonal items from your property without a license in Washington state.

You did not say what kind of a classification it has just now?

It's county residential. Just outside city limits. Zoned UR4.

Would have been better to purchase a property that was already zoned for agriculture. I'm not sure how difficult it is in Whatcom county to get zoning changed, but in Pacific County, it is next to impossible. There is just so much red tape to get through. The good news is that there is a right to farm law that allows you to sell excess seasonal items from your property without a license in Washington state.

We aren't interested in a license to sell as much as we are interested to get our property taxes reduced! Of course we would get any necessary licenses as required. And also, it's not a zoning change we are looking for, it's a tax status change.

Last edited:
It's a pain in the rear to get zoning changed in Pierce County, and that is apparently with the county actually trying to help out according to one of my neighbors. Lots of public meetings and all that fun stuff.

We're not anywhere near town or the actual urban growth area. They sent out a letter talking about changing a bunch of the Rural Residential with 10 or more acres to Rural Farm a couple years ago. It didn't go through. That was the country trying to halt urban sprawl into the open space corridors. It was kind of silly since most of the properties affected were already in Rural Sensitive Resource and heavily restricted to what can be done on them. Farming is one of the few things allowed with some restrictions.

Everything around here was changed to RR-10 a couple decades ago to prevent splitting of the larger parcels and cut down on the houses going up.

I can't imagine how hard it will be to change Urban Residential to any type of Farm

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom