Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

OMG! I am so mad right now I can't even think straight. My neighbors did not take care of their chickens, let them run freely, never clean up after them etc. and people have complained. I have not complained thank you. But now I am told I must get rid of my chickens because if they have to get rid of theirs then all the chickens in the neighborhood have to go. That's like saying everybody has to get rid of their dogs because the two dogs across the street run free and bit somebody. I am so angry. I am going to fight this as much as I can.
Like everyone has to go on birth control cuz your neighbor's have 10 kids ?

I hate generalizations like that !
Like the Rico act all over again...guilty just because you have chickens.

barnie.gif

I tied Jack to a lower cupboard in the barn kitchen, and sat on a 5 gallon bucket and shaved as much as I could...there must have been 20 pounds of hair on the floor !

I still have to get his other side & his chest.

So hard to clip him !
He wants to play & roll over and he will not stop wiggling !

rant.gif

Thankfully this is a once a year ordeal.....he gets way way too hot in the summer.

(what is summer ?)
roll.png
Your right kinda forgot about the beans being so early my potatoes are growing like wildflower
have more to plant next month then the month after then move them to the greenhouse again never
have to buy potatoes again
yippiechickie.gif
did pickup a few more cauliflower and broccoli starts at the bulb farm down the road
still looking for my Shasta daisy as mint didn't come back from the this wet winter
hit.gif

@Duck Drover I am PONDering the absolutely best way to brood goslings.........hopefully NOT in my chick brooders as the goslings are messy, and get bigger faster than ducklings, which means much more doo doo..............
sickbyc.gif

A dirt floor, deep litter method would be a great way....but all my coops have floors................so I am looking for ideas, hopefully from those who have done this before.
Under a Mother Goose would be best, but these babies are coming in a box.

Remember all.....there will be 4-5 goslings for sale from this delivery.
PM me if you want a few.

I wish I had them out there mowing the 3 foot tall grass right now !!

Einstein went out (after considerable badgering) and finally tried to start the lawn tractor, and it would not start, so he connected the charger & went back in the house.
Two days later after more badgering, he tried to start it, and it started with complaints but got up & went down the driveway.

Then he put the mow board in gear and nothing happened.

Cable connection must have busted.

he drove it back to its spot, shut it off, and went back in the house.

All that took about a week.

barnie.gif

@Duck Drover
  I am  PONDering the absolutely best way to brood goslings.........hopefully NOT in my chick brooders as the goslings are messy, and get bigger faster than ducklings, which means much more doo doo..............:sick

A dirt floor, deep litter method would be a great way....but  all my coops have floors................so I am looking for ideas, hopefully from those who have done this before.
Under a Mother Goose would be best, but these babies are coming in a box.

Remember all.....there will be 4-5 goslings for sale from this delivery.
PM me if you want a few.

I wish I had them out there mowing the 3 foot tall grass right now !!

Einstein went out (after considerable badgering) and finally tried to start the  lawn tractor, and it would not start, so he connected the charger & went back in the house.
Two days later after more badgering, he tried to start it, and it started with complaints but got up & went down the driveway.

Then he put the mow board in gear and nothing happened.

Cable connection must have busted.

he drove it back to its spot, shut it off, and went back in the house.

All that took about a week.

:barnie

If you can brood them outside that does cut alot of mess because the ground will absorb the water. I wash our grass and dirt with the hose when the rain does not flush it enough and the worms take it from there. Obviously the larger the area the less concentrated the waste will be to manage. I raise bantam ducks but I have raised ducks of all sizes and geese. Water birds are not going to stay dry as they are suited to the same environment as turtles and frogs.

I don't use anything absorbant near ducks (with the exception of shavings in the buckets we are using as nests now to keep our LGD from eating eggs) because they will get saturated and stink. I think I would go with the pea gravel you use in your runs rather than deep litter because then you can hose it off. Duck and goose poop liquifies easily while chicken poop takes more effort to clean. They will dabble in any standing mud but I find the water leeches into the soil quickly when the poop is liquified and then it is not too muddy (clean mud from the rain is not much of an issue when the waste is below ground level). Our ground is pretty rocky with a good topsoil layer while I know you have the clay mud to deal with there. Shavings are used for mulch to hold onto moisture so if you need to put anything down wood chips or bark would be a better choice as long as you can hose them off.

We use shavings in our chicken coops because they are inside and the ducks do not go in them but I don't use shavings in my brooder tubs, not even for chicks. I use a raised plastic grid floor that lets most of the mess through and then I wash the tubs out in the bathtub by moving the birds to a clean tub and then washing the dirty tub. I may try using a shop vacuum in the bird room between cleanings since the tubs have deep channels on the edges that I might be able to vacuum out. Someone at the wildlife center where I volunteer came up with the idea so I want to try it if I have ducklings long enough to make a mess. They sell pretty fast and we technically can't keep any new birds once they reach maturity because they would not be grandfathered under the code changes.

Another thing I want to try in my duckling tubs is the plastic grass to see if that works like the plastic grids I am using now, which came out of an old food dehydrator so they are starting to break. I am trying them out at the wildlife center for our Mallard ducklings and Canadian goslings because they have wire cages with catch trays instead of plastic tubs. We clean everything daily there and the bedding (often towels) is all reusable to reduce waste and cost (the center is non-profit and relies on donations to operate). There are rubber grids we use for waterfowl there as well so I might look for something like that for my brooder tubs. The main thing is to avoid anything that stinks when it is wet.

I am using fleece blankets as pee pads for our 12 puppies since they are peeing alot already at 4 weeks old. I got them at Goodwill so they were just $1 each and light weight to wash rather than heavy pee pads which would be harder to wash and dry to reuse. I don't do disposable when I can use something reusable but then I also used cloth diapers to save money and the environment. Fleece has a way of seeming drier when it is wet and moisure will evaporate from it. My daughter just bought washable sanitary pads that have a fleece lining and she loves how comfortable they are compared to the disposable pads. It is a pretty great fabric since it rinses out so well, washes easily, and dries with less effort. It might work under water containers to soak up spilled water and prevent muddy areas but I have not tried it. The weave is too tight to let manure waste through so I will keep using shelf liner material in my brooders unless I need something to absorb water to remove it rather than just hosing the tubs outside and scrubbing them in the bathtub.

If you can brood them outside that does cut alot of mess because the ground will absorb the water. I wash our grass and dirt with the hose when the rain does not flush it enough and the worms take it from there. Obviously the larger the area the less concentrated the waste will be to manage. I raise bantam ducks but I have raised ducks of all sizes and geese. Water birds are not going to stay dry as they are suited to the same environment as turtles and frogs.

I don't use anything absorbant near ducks (with the exception of shavings in the buckets we are using as nests now to keep our LGD from eating eggs) because they will get saturated and stink. I think I would go with the pea gravel you use in your runs rather than deep litter because then you can hose it off. Duck and goose poop liquifies easily while chicken poop takes more effort to clean. They will dabble in any standing mud but I find the water leeches into the soil quickly when the poop is liquified and then it is not too muddy (clean mud from the rain is not much of an issue when the waste is below ground level). Our ground is pretty rocky with a good topsoil layer while I know you have the clay mud to deal with there. Shavings are used for mulch to hold onto moisture so if you need to put anything down wood chips or bark would be a better choice as long as you can hose them off.

We use shavings in our chicken coops because they are inside and the ducks do not go in them but I don't use shavings in my brooder tubs, not even for chicks. I use a raised plastic grid floor that lets most of the mess through and then I wash the tubs out in the bathtub by moving the birds to a clean tub and then washing the dirty tub. I may try using a shop vacuum in the bird room between cleanings since the tubs have deep channels on the edges that I might be able to vacuum out. Someone at the wildlife center where I volunteer came up with the idea so I want to try it if I have ducklings long enough to make a mess. They sell pretty fast and we technically can't keep any new birds once they reach maturity because they would not be grandfathered under the code changes.

Another thing I want to try in my duckling tubs is the plastic grass to see if that works like the plastic grids I am using now, which came out of an old food dehydrator so they are starting to break. I am trying them out at the wildlife center for our Mallard ducklings and Canadian goslings because they have wire cages with catch trays instead of plastic tubs. We clean everything daily there and the bedding (often towels) is all reusable to reduce waste and cost (the center is non-profit and relies on donations to operate). There are rubber grids we use for waterfowl there as well so I might look for something like that for my brooder tubs. The main thing is to avoid anything that stinks when it is wet.

I am using fleece blankets as pee pads for our 12 puppies since they are peeing alot already at 4 weeks old. I got them at Goodwill so they were just $1 each and light weight to wash rather than heavy pee pads which would be harder to wash and dry to reuse. I don't do disposable when I can use something reusable but then I also used cloth diapers to save money and the environment. Fleece has a way of seeming drier when it is wet and moisure will evaporate from it. My daughter just bought washable sanitary pads that have a fleece lining and she loves how comfortable they are compared to the disposable pads. It is a pretty great fabric since it rinses out so well, washes easily, and dries with less effort. It might work under water containers to soak up spilled water and prevent muddy areas but I have not tried it. The weave is too tight to let manure waste through so I will keep using shelf liner material in my brooders unless I need something to absorb water to remove it rather than just hosing the tubs outside and scrubbing them in the bathtub.
Thanks.....I think I am going to try a dirt floor, with at least 18" of compressed straw as the water goes right through and leaves the surface dry. It is also really easy to pitch fork onto the wheel barrow or what have you...to clean out whereas the shavings are not, and will absorb the water instead of allowing it to pass through..I need to set up a secure 'coop' outdoors for a soil floor, but have a heat lamp in it.
I will use the chicken tractorhen they are really little, and hoping that the weather improves enough so that when they get too big for the chicken tracter, they can just go OUT & stay in a dog house like structure at night, in a fenced in area of course.
Hopefully Jack bonds with them & protects them.

I gotta go eat cuz I haven't and I am starving.....but first, a round of funnies and I'll post more funnies later.

%7B3a88d21a-1b1e-4b9b-bc8b-7d9674713919%7D_open-quotes-green.gif
Did you hear about the streaker at church last Sunday? He ran up and down the aisles until the ushers caught him by the organ.
%7Bb5b1b472-a690-4fab-aab8-a1337adff190%7D_close-quote-green.gif

lau.gif

A seven-year-old asks his father, "Dad can you do my homework for me so I can play more video games?" Dad replies, "No son, it wouldn't be right." The son says, "That's probably true, but just do the best you can."

gig.gif

What is a vampire's favorite fruit? A neck-tarine!

lau.gif

Did you hear about the Norwegian who won a gold medal in the Olympics? He was so proud, he had it bronzed.

lau.gif

So a cannibal goes into a cannibal restaurant. He's looking at the menu: "Tourist: $10, Missionary: $12, Native: $8, Explorer: $15, Member of Congress: $200." The waiter comes by and the cannibal asks, "Nice selection, but why does a member of Congress cost so much?" The waiter answers, "Since they're so full of crap it takes all morning to clean them out."

big_smile.png

A jazz band is playing in a Chicago club when a gangster and his entourage come in and take a few tables. One of the hoodlums approaches the bandleader... "The boss wants you should play 'Come Rain or Come Shine,'" he says. "And if I was you, I'd play 'em both!"

cool.png

What did one fly say to the other fly? "Your man is open!"

big_smile.png

Three bodies turn up at the mortuary, all with very big smiles on their faces. The coroner calls the police to tell them what has happened. The coroner tells the inspector, "The first body is a 72-year-old Frenchman. He died of heart failure while with his mistress, hence the enormous smile." "The second body is an Irishman, 25 years of age. He won a thousand dollars on the lottery and spent it all on whiskey. Died of alcohol poisoning, hence the smile." The inspector asked, "What of the third body?" "Ah," says the coroner, "That is the most unusual one. Ole Olsen, he's a Swede from Minnesota, 40, struck by lightning." "Why is he smiling then?" inquires the inspector. "He thought he was having his picture taken."

lau.gif

OK space fans...In the infamous words of Arnie....

" I'll be back "

frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom