Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

So I knew the weather was going to be crappy for the next week or so so today I put the little chicks in with the big ones. Put their little pen away. They’ve been out in the run for few weeks so not a big deal. But this is their first night in the coop. So I went out a couple minutes ago and here’s what I found :) they are parked on a piece of plywood at the window. A few inches to the side and below the roosts. I’m getting a little nervous that the barred rock might be a rooster. I hope not.
43EBDC17-7F4A-4ECD-AF1B-EA7A372E909F.jpeg

And this is mocha checking out the babies. She is my most outgoing, and loud! Chicken. She never shuts up, she’s always flying over the fence. I’m glad that she gets along with the babies. In fact there have been no issues at all. Very happy with integrating chicks when they’re young versus waiting until their six months old or something like that. I think the adults don’t see the little babies as any sort of threat so they’re not aggressive towards them and they’ve seen them in their little pen for a few weeks.
2D958341-4D79-4C82-8619-558057AB8E9E.jpeg

The Barred Rock is definitely a cockerel. Only males can have two copies of the barring gene, producing the lighter appearance.
Damn! Well, I do know somebody that I can give him to that won’t eat him. And I won’t introduce a single check to the group so I guess I will have 11 chickens this year.
So at what age is it safe to give him away to another flock? I’m assuming I should wait till he’s pretty much mature?

Back
Top Bottom