Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

My silkies killed an adult rat.

Chickens can be vicious.

20180812_200222.jpg

Hey Guy, I have been reading through the thread, just got back from west side family reunion. So sad to hear about the coyote attack! We had one neighbor dog break into a pen a few years back, killed about 2 doz laying hens. Built better pen, bought a bigger dog.
Listen, I have all the birds that I hatched from you. I have 10 to 12 one year old hens and some nice cockerels, that I hatched out with your eggs. I plan on keeping only 2 of the one group of hens for breeding. You are welcome to any or all of these birds. All Black Copper Marans FREE no charge.
My plan is I want more people raising quality Marans so when what happens to all of us eventually we have a way to continue our breeding goals. Anyway, I have some really nice birds if you want to message me or come to Brewster and have a look. TOM

Im not in Thurston County, just north to it in Pierce County. So rules are different and I can't help much. Pretty much no roosters in town anywhere. Hen limits depend on if in an urban area. If in the country, it's usually limited by acreage. HOAs can cause tons of trouble

Where in Thurston are you moving to?
We are looking at Olympia, Lacey, Tumwater, and North from there. Some of the homes we have looked at have existing coops. I'd like to be able to have a rooster or two as they really help take care of their girls.

Did I get this right do you have just one bird @dragonlady12
Yep, she's all that's left of our Cali Flock. We will be repopulating a flock when we get to Washington. We have been on a strict no new pet policy for over a year knowing this move was coming. (Our zoo contains, Miss Lindsay, a beardie named Queen Leo, six cats and four cockatiels)

First off, moving an entire flock of chickens would be daunting. Second, we didn't think it responsible or fair to get chickens used to the hell-hole that is the Sacramento Valley with it's heat, etc., and take them to a completely different climate. So, we decided to just let our girls be (and sadly, now I only have one left - 5 year old Lindsay) and then buy chicks from breeds/families that were used to the climate up there. Plus, we've been living in a rental house for the last couple years, waiting for the stars to align and us to get to moving to our own place again.

I understand just letting her be there what kind of place are you looking for ?
are you both still working ? retired? eastern dry desert or western more green ?
city or country?

We are retired, looking for a farm-y location, more western. Like I said, Oly, Lacey, Tumwater, maybe Shelton, Pt. Orchard. We are waiting for our "ducks" to get in their row, which should be sometime this week, then we will know for sure. However, knowing the issue with living within city limits, that cuts a couple places we have been looking at off our list of places to go look at. We are moving from Sacto Valley California to WA, so it's a big jump.

It sure is stay out of Shelton my opinion down towards southern get more bang for the buck prices are high just now.. if you stay to the inland side I-5 corridor but off we are 1 miles off I-5 Mossyrock, Raymond, Toledo, Onalaska there are many nice towns
for folks to retire to

Back
Top Bottom