Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Pictures are a little dark but the Bresse have slate blue legs. It’s kind of nifty to have red, white and blue chickens.
I will give a report on how good of eating those 4 extra cockerels are I’m thinking they my be an excellent duel purpose breed. They grow super fast and are supposed to have fat marbling in the meat like beef, oh and blue bones that might be strange.

Culled a young EE cockerel 9 months, he came in like 6 lbs. but for the three of us it was fine .. let it sit 5 days before stewing .. I really do not want to start processing much but if we can get in sinc the auction is back running every other week they are limiting the people a few of few of us bidding numbers where given out under 100 mostly the first 50 of us I am 26:confused:

I bet that blue Marans is beautiful. I am excited about these Bresse if these cockerels are excellent eating it will be a lot nicer to raise them rather that the Cornish X for meat. Those home grown Cornish X are hard to beat though. Only time will tell, I’m going to fry one of these cockerels and see how that is.
It’s really something after the mass hoarding of supplies and food last spring I noticed all around me this fall that there are roosters crowing. There has been a tone of people apparently raising chickens now it’s a rooster serenade in the morning in every direction. Also the price of chicken feed has shot up. How long have you got away with storing chicken feed? Im sure there will be a mass buy of chicken feed this coming spring. I’m thinking of driving to Spokane and buying a bunch of feed from a feed mill over there. At least you can buy toilet paper now that was crazy, it didn’t affect me as I keep at least a years supply of food and supplies on hand for myself.

Getting feed sometimes has been hit or miss here. I feed an all purpose 20%. So we go shopping as soon as I have an empty storage can. I was keeping extra in my truck but that currently is in the shop.

I feed a food that is milled here the feeders I use have been tempted to fill with two seperate foods see if one is prefered or if egg suppy is altered

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    603.3 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom