Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Leven is a Judas chicken.

There are 6 cockerels in his pen that have become a problem for the hens. Leven is always rescuing hens and the girls now stay in a tight group around him or on the outdoor roosts. Girls are missing too many feathers.

So today was time to start removing problems 2 at a time. I went in the pen with a net so everyone scattered when they saw it. They know what the net is.

First boy yelled when I got him and Leven always comes running to help. Leven ran up, saw who I had, then turned and sauntered off muttering. He was not going to help a boy. On the second one he did the same. I swear he was telling me to get rid of them.

It's a toss up between 2 of the cockerels on who I'll keep. The smallest one is the calmest and least aggressive with the girls. He gets picked on and just started to crow this week at 22 weeks. He actually acts rather silkie like. The other candidate is also fairly laid back. I'll see how they do when it's down to just them and Leven. Whomever gets along with him best stays.

We got sheep yesterday! They should be ready for the table in a few months.

We have tons of apple cleanup to do. I hope some of them stay on the trees long enough to make cider!

Sadly, Gunther’s days are numbered. He goes for weeks as a good chicken, and then he’ll pretty randomly attack. Since he’s over a year old, I don’t expect it’ll get any better. Does anyone know where I can get a single day old cockerel chick? I’d like to just put one under a broody instead of quarantining and introducing a juvenile.
View attachment 2781576
View attachment 2781581
View attachment 2781582
Hey there not sure where you are located specifically, but my local tsc's still have chicks....I'm up in whatcom county.

The sheep are cute! Are you butchering them all or keeping a few?

Signs you have too many young cockerels. They have been going everywhere like this.
20210803_155729.jpg

I decided to take them early as keep them nope happy having one and have to feed them just to raise them right.
still happy if 3 are pullets .. I bought two silver leghorns .. Oh have 6 more silkie coming soon better my odds of four girls again never want a boy up there but could have 6 or even 6 girls

Back
Top Bottom