Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Hi! That’s great that you’re moving back! Generally predators in my area are: Dogs, Birds of prey, Raccoons, dogs, coyotes, foxes, dogs and mink. I have an occasional opossum show up but not often and they caused no trouble. Depending on your location, as in how urban or suburban, you might add more dogs.
Penney gave you good advice about no chicken wire. Think about keeping dogs of all sizes out. Big ones can go over or push through weak fencing. Little ones can reach through and grab chickens. Ok so they won’t but Raccoons can!
The diggers I’ve had are rats. So far no tunneling chicken killers.

If I’m honest the only predator deaths I’ve had were from birds of prey. One was a hawk which I saw, the other I didn’t see but suspect either hawk or owl. So provide a good covered area that they can be safe in at least part of the time.
Good luck and may your move have no adventures!
I'll be in Seattle so it's pretty urban on just .3 acres. I'll have a 6' high wood fence around my entire backyard. And then the girls will have a 8'x14' attached run that's fully protected in hardware cloth. Once we get accustomed to the surroundings (and I figure out the poisonous plant situation!), I'll let them free range in the backyard. That's what they do now in our home in LA on our little .1 acre lot!
I'm familiar with all those predators down here except for minks and foxes! Will need to read up on their behavior.
Thank you!

Welcome!

I'll add weasel family to the list. I had a issue one year and had to make traps. I did have an opposum kill one of my birds. Dogs took care of it. The racoon that lives out in trees has stayed far away from any structures here but they are usually problems.

Hawks and neighbor's dog have been my biggest issue. Dog was hit by a car and haven't had an issue since.

I've never had chickens eat a poisonous plant and they hang out under the wild foxglove in the summer for shade as they get 5 foot tall here. Just make sure there are edible alternatives and they won't try.
Thanks for the info Hinotori. Good to hear about your chickens staying away from the poisonous plants! I will probably let them out and see how they are with the plants, if they start eating too much, then I'll figure out a solution. Right now I know I've got a ton of beautiful rhododendrons and tons of bluebell flowers that are poisonous. But still trying to figure out what everything else is!

I actually have a dog myself. So he'll keep away any other dogs...plus I have a 6' high wood fence! I'm so fortunate that my 3-legged rescue guy loves his girls. They are one big happy family. (Although I never leave them alone for extended periods of time or when I'm not home. You just never know!)

Attachments

• 20220504_125148.jpg
    20220504_125148.jpg
    895.3 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom