Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I do the same good morning .. My incubators are hard plastic hate styrofoam.
As it ages it gets brittle.
Should I let the banty set on eggs? well Shift Knob wants the job real fast.
See if I can get a photo of the dirt bath the Son and I built from scrap wood.
I hope you get lots of pics of Shift Knob being a mother! She is so cute!

My weather WA chicken friends, what do you use for inside your coop? I have a prefab coop with a tray and really want to do the deep litter method, but not sure it's an option because of the tray.
If I understand your coop, you have a pull out tray for cleaning. I wouldn't do deep litter in that because it won't pull out easily. I think you might end up with a mess. I would use shavings and clean them out regularly in that sort of coop.

I do deep litter in the winter but my coop is an 8x10 walk in coop.

My weather WA chicken friends, what do you use for inside your coop? I have a prefab coop with a tray and really want to do the deep litter method, but not sure it's an option because of the tray.
Deep litter (moist) requires moisture and ample ventilation to counter it, volume, and (optimally) ground contact. Deep bedding (dry) still requires a lot of volume and ventilation.

Most likely you will need to do frequent bedding clean outs instead. Possibly you can't use the tray at all depending on how it's set up (they don't work the way people think they do, it's more like a squeegee that knocks poop onto the ground) so you may need to reach in to manually add and remove litter.

Can't do deep litter in too small of areas. I wouldn't try on less than 100 sq ft.

My silkies have 3x4 houses for sleeping and I must change litter regularly.

My 8x15 large fowl house house is dirt floor and deep litter. Poop composts within a few days. Lots of worms and bugs in there. I toss in a bag of shavings occasionally and scoop out what I need for garden or Mom wants for hers. It took it a few years to reach this equilibrium so I'll never take more than half.

Back
Top Bottom