Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
No kidding. We waited to get our new chicks until the feed store we were going to buy them from was going to have Marans. The day before their shipment arrives the Marans are taken off the list. We were heartbroken.
We live just outside of Portland. I'd almost be willing to drive up to get a few.

Quote:
No kidding. We waited to get our new chicks until the feed store we were going to buy them from was going to have Marans. The day before their shipment arrives the Marans are taken off the list. We were heartbroken.
We live just outside of Portland. I'd almost be willing to drive up to get a few.

It would be a long drive for you, he is in Kingston, Wa He don't ship them so you would have to find a reason to come up this way to pick some up.

[email protected]

Tell him Helaine sent ya

Quote:
Eggs can't be far off for you! My birds laid eggs within 3 weeks of their first squats.
wee.gif

Ok I have to ask this, as Im fairly new to chickens. But why are Marans so special?

Also, what breeds would you all sudgest for a good mixed layer flock?

I am looking to get at least another 10 hens, and a roo. Was thinking about ordering from Ideal, but am also looking at local options.

Any sudgestions are appreciated.

If you want an assortment of egg colors, the Maran's are one of the few breeds that lay the dark chocolate eggs. I think Welsummer's and Barnvelder's do too, but many who have them don't get the darkest of eggs and are working to try and bring that back.

EE's, Ameracauna's or Araucana's are good for blue and green eggs.

I always like having a few BR and RIR for brown eggs.

Sex-links aka Red Stars and Black Stars are also good pruduction brown egg layers.

White leg horns are one of the best white egg production birds.

Those listed are all good for high production or for certain colors.

For personality, they are all so different! One of my favorite hen's is just your plain old Barred Rock, but she follows me around daily at my heels and practically crawls in my lap whenever she can. Have fun!

I would agree with WA4-Hpoultrymom and her comments. I would also add that you ask an almost impossible question to answer and it all really depends on what it is you want out of a "good mixed flock".

For example, are you looking at them as eye candy? If so, that depends on your own personal taste as beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder. How about egg color as WA4 discusses? How about egg production? How about meat production? Do you plan to raise, breed, and show any of them? (If so, you will NOT want to start with hatchery/feedstore birds.) Do you want the probability of a hen going broody or not going broody? Do you want quiet birds, chatty birds, friendly birds, maybe not so friendly so as to survive predators better, etc. etc.

If you're just gonna wing it, you can always get an assortment from a hatchery/feedstore and eat what you don't want to keep and then try something else from a feedstore or hatchery again next year.

There is the WFF Spring Show in Chehalis next weekend. That would be a great place to look over lots of different breeds, talk to lots of breeders, gather lots of information, and then make a decision. Maybe even pick up some birds at the show.

It doesn't look like I'm gonna make it but if you're looking for potential SQ Ameraucanas and Welsummers, you may want to keep me in mind. You can see pictures of my birds and eggs on my website. Right now I'm selling Ameraucana chicks. I'll be selling Ameraucana and Welsummers again in about a month.

Hope that helps.

God Bless,

You know we got our first two eggs last Wednesday and by tonight Thursday we have had eight so far. And I convinced them to use their nest boxes, the last four days I got one egg each day in the same nest box. I can't figure out who it is, but I think more then one and I'll bet the red hen that did the "squat" for me this morning is one of them. I laughed about that all day...did she think I was the rooster?

Quote:

It would be a long drive for you, he is in Kingston, Wa He don't ship them so you would have to find a reason to come up this way to pick some up.

[email protected]

Tell him Helaine sent ya

meet my husband along I-5 and on June 5th he can pick up chicks for you here in WA and drive them down to you. All the chicks you want for $30 or trade us some chickens??? he's also going all the way down to CA and back up and can get you chicks from down there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom