Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
from Ethel WA
You should locate the nearest recovery center cause this place is addicting and will have ya coming back for yer daily fix of BYC. Or like some (self included) multiple daily fixes !!!

I have learned BYC people are awesome and if they don't have a solution there probably isn't one !!!

So, when I checked the "Unique Dog House" ad http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/for/1402246771.html it said "pending pick up 10/3." However, by late afternoon, the ad was still there. So, I shot her an email and said I was very interested if the present deal fell through, and I gave her my number.

Well, she called me this afternoon, and the people who wanted to take it have no way to move it, so she's moving on to the next person, if you can get it moved.

The thing is absolutely HUGE - 9' long, almost 5' wide, and nearly 6' tall, and she continually emphasized that it was EXTREMELY well built, which also makes it EXTREMELY heavy.

If you have a means to transport this thing AND you've got about 6 strong men to lift it, it would be a real deal at the $100 she is asking.

We want a tractor coop we can move around the yard, so we passed on this one, since I didn't want to have to hook up the farm tractor to move it every time!

wow, that dog house thing is substantial! I didn't realize there was a Des Moines in WA. hm, learn something new everyday. It does look like a nice option for a chicken coop but yeah, not sure how it would be moved...

Quote:
My insurance agent is there. (I used to live in Kent for a while. I am told that you are supposed to pronounce all of the letters. Seems odd to me.
hu.gif
I used to know someone in school that had the name of Dubois. pronounced just as written. I feel like a hick when I don't use the French pronunciation on both.
idunno.gif

Quote:
Can't get any better than this!

Did any of you see that amazing moon this morning early when you were letting out your chickens? Why does the moon look so big in autumn? But this morning was all misty and spooky here as well, perfect mood for halloween.

We had our first real frost Monday morning. I love sunny crisp but cold fall days!

I'm wondering if the shorter, colder days are starting to affect my girls. Our egg production has dropped from an average of 5 or so eggs a day from our eight hens ~ recently down to two eggs, even one day with only one. I don't see any signs of moulting, they all look and act healthy and continue to have great appetites, I provide plenty of variety plus free feed layer pellets and scratch twice daily.

So here's my question ~ what is your opinion of adding light to the coop. Will it help with the egg production? Their coop seems cozy, I don't think they need any additional heat source. There is a window fasting east, so they get natural light. (Plus I love watching them watch me when I come out to let them out every morning)

I've been reading different threads on BYC about adding light and there seems to be some conflicting advice out there. I appreciate any information that you are willing to share.

Quote:
Your hens need at least 14 hours of daylight to continue to produce eggs. That is why you are seeing a drop in egg production. They are slowing coming "offline". If you want eggs during the winter, you've got to give supplemental light.

If you do a search on BYC with me as the Author, you will see that I recently addressed the issue of "supplemental light". You will also seem some that disagree with me. I will leave it to you to read the comments and then decide for yourself.

If you'd like to come by and look at my birds, you're welcome to do so. I don't think you'll find any looking at ragged and worn out from a lack of sleep. You may see some taking a siesta on a limb during the middle of the day but hey, who of us wouldn't like to do that if we could?

God Bless,

I'll be in Seattle on the 14th and can transport any of these at that time...I absolutely HAVE to get all of these guys into their new homes, ASAP. PLEASE MAKE ME OFFERS. The worst I can say is NO--but I'm MORE than willing to work with you!!!

2 Mille Fleur cochin bantam (project) roosters price reduced to $20 each or both for $35 (MAKE OFFER!)

1 white bantam cochin rooster, 2009 Grand Champion of the Okanogan County Fair (spring 09 hatch) $50 VERY NICE!

Trio of Black/Splash Orps (black rooster), black hen & splash hen. One year old, produced LOTS of beautiful black & blue chicks for me this summer and still going strong! Price reduced to $60 for the trio!!! (Will not split up!)

Blue Laced Red (project) cochin cockerel. My first attempt at this color & cross. Looks like a golden/red laced with a bluish undertone. HUGE, sweet boy! Hatched in June. $10

Very Rare Black Crevecoeur cockerel. Hatched in June. Very sweet and from good, show stock lines. $10

1 Pair of black & white muscovies. These guys are 6 years old. The duck still lays an abundance of eggs, sits and hatches ducklings. VERY good mother--will hatch anything. The drake is hilarious and friendly...still making fertile eggs, too! These are neg. to the perfect home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom