Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings all! We're on the Kitsap Peninsula and looking forward to welcoming our first chickens! Looking to get two RIR from Maple Valley. Fingers crossed! The coop is in work, and the daughter couldnt be happier!

welcome-byc.gif
to the Washington Thread,

Steven..., Frogchickrincess, & En Plein Air...,

And anyone else I missed. Glad to see so many new members from Washington.

Russ- I'll say it again. Washingtonians are the coolest!

Maybe we should start posting that on the other state threads.
roll.png
OK maybe not.
lol.png

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
From Forks, Wa. Nice to see someone who's a little closer to me.
smile.png
If you're ever interested in something "special," say - A blue, green, or chocolate colored egg layer, we're available to get you some this summer.
smile.png

I have 4 blue ameraucana from Cree's and they lay a very pretty blue egg, I love in the morning opening the fridge and seeing blue and the dark brown BCM eggs it just makes me smile every time.
My husband got my incubator done and I LOVE IT! Now will only use the LG to hatch in I think, my last hatch was BAD
hit.gif
when I opend the eggs I had 4 chicks that quite and the rest nothing only got 8 out of the hatch not good.
I do have some really cute banty Welsummers that hatched 3 hope two hens and one rooster, if not Im going to have to find someone for more they are so cute.
Have a great day eveyone.

Quote:
Did you fail? I know I did.
thumbsup.gif

Fuzzzzyyyy buttsssssss
wee.gif

at my house!

ETA: I forgot how loud they are!

FUZZY BUTTS, FUZZY BUTTS, OH HOW I LOVE FUZZY BUTTS!
wee.gif

I'm still envious as all get out! I can't do any more fuzzy butts until I get the flock situated someplace else
sad.png

Oh, it's snowing...

I have 10 1-week old fuzzy buts in the brooder, and I have 30+ eggs being shipped to me today!!!
thumbsup.gif
ep.gif

Gotta go get the incubator all cleaned up as I expect they will be here by Wednesday at the latest.

In case anyone is in the market for some, especially little baby roosters, we have a ton of banty cochins coming, lavender, BBS and partridge. If anyone may want a boy or two in these in about 2-3 months, let me know and I'm making a list. I plan to keep at least one roo of each variety, but fear I will have more than that.

I used the old ring on a string wives tale trick of sexing the ones we already have which are all straight run, and it said 8 out of 10 were boys!!!! And who knows what this next hatch may bring.

Tamara

Thank goodness all we have here is sun, chilly wind here and there, and some clouds here and there. Whew! I'd hate to think of our sun-spoiled plants freezing.

Well, I set 11 BC Marans, 15 Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Marans, 14 BBS Ameraucanas, and about 8 other EE cross eggs 10 days ago. . . So far I have 100% fertility and success with the BC Marans, 5/15 for the Wheaties, 4/15 for the Ameraucanas, and Maybe 4/8 for the EE crosses. (EExBrahma, possible EExSLW, and EExEE)

I'm soooo excited!!!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif

Does anyone local have BLRW hatching eggs available? I would like to get a couple if possible, but I would need them by Thursday. I am between Monroe and Duvall and would be willing to come get them if you are within an hours drive or so. I would only want 6, I don't think I'll be able to fit more in the bator.

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
From Forks, Wa. Nice to see someone who's a little closer to me.
smile.png
If you're ever interested in something "special," say - A blue, green, or chocolate colored egg layer, we're available to get you some this summer.
smile.png

Illia - Thanks for the offer. Once we get the RIR's settled in, I will have to convince the wife to expand the flock by a few birds. To me, and to the sanity of my wife now, it comes down to bird personality and noise level. If we get loud birds that are aggressive toward our daughter, well, the fryer will be in use and my wife will be in the kitchen... otherwise, I am hoping for an easy transition into the chicken world. Seems easy enough...

On another note - since I am a first timer who is just days away from getting my first birds, I have a question:

What do you see as the biggest challenge to raising chickens for eggs?

Thanks,

Steven M Nielson

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom