Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for letting me know your "Americaunas" from Reber Ranch are the biggest in your flock. That was really worrying me with ours. Knowing that makes me feel much better. Mine looks a lot like yours - just smaller.

My EEs shot up and were the largest and fastest developing in my mixed flock, but then the rest of the girls grew up and they were smaller. However, they have been very dependable layers.

Quote:

Well I'm sold! They sound wonderful. I'd like more than one as I'll give them as gifts too - I'll PM you!

x2! They're all neat but I especially like the flower shaped one, that is the one I'll use for gifts. Hope you have a bunch in stock!
big_smile.png

My EEs shot up and were the largest and fastest developing in my mixed flock, but then the rest of the girls grew up and they were smaller. However, they have been very dependable layers.

Thanks for the info. I tell you, every time I look at our EE I think "what the heck?" Good grief. We just got home from being gone all day, and she looks bigger still! I thought for sure the EE was supposed to be the smallest of our three. I thought the Light Brahma would be biggest, the Rhode Island Red would be next, then the EE. Right now, the EE is biggest, then the Brahma and my Rhode Island Red is tiny in comparison. When they were fuzzballs, they all started out about the same size.

Nothing much going on around here. Just wanted to share some pics from my friend's home. Here are a few of her giant Cochin capon "Trousers". This is the boy she brought home from Stevenson that she had to promise she was not going to eat. There's no way. He is so cute and friendly. I was taking pics of him the other day and he was trying to follow me out the gate. One of CL's olive egger girls has decided she loves him and follows him constantly, trying to snuggle with him whenever she can. He just tolerates her.

Standing next to a standard Ameraucana. The boy is HUGE.

I love his feather pants.

He cracks me up with his slow, ambling, pigeon toed walk.

So DH and I were visiting these friends today and my gf Phyllis mentioned that the broody who is sitting on eggs due to hatch on Tuesday, had been making some "funny sounds". I poked my head in the broody coop as Phyllis tossed oatmeal in there and sure enough, Edith was making the momma hen clucks. I told Phyllis, "that's how she calls her chicks to eat" and just then, 2 little Dorking babies popped out from underneath her, all fluffy and bright eyed!
Later we went to dinner and when we came home checked and found a still wet Salmon Faverolles baby under her wing. Phyllis snapped a photo before the baby ducked back under her momma to stay warm. These babies are popping out early!

Edith looks like such a proud momma - I love broodys!

I Read this & HAD to share it..... this is the funniest description of what to expect from your first experience with having chickens.... hope you all get as much enjoyment out of it, as I did... =)

Three ways chickens will freak you out​
April 6, 2012

When I first started keeping chickens—or as my daughter likes to say, “way back in the olden days”—I was easily freaked out by their behaviors. Like, all the time. Seriously. For a while it seemed to happen at least once a week. Now, it’s not that I didn’t inform myself beforehand about what to expect; it’s more that when actually confronted with what I’d read about, it was way different than what I’d imagined.

For example, if you’ve never seen a hen dust bathing, the first time it happens, it will give you the heebie jeebies. After all, when you initially get your hens, you may have read that they like to dust bathe, you may remember it, and you may look forward to seeing it, even. But when you actually walk outside and see a group of your hens flopping around in the dirt—all uncoordinated wings and feet, as if they’ve had their necks broken—well, dust bathing is just not always the first thing you think of. It looks more like a seizure. Worse, they’ll flop around a while as you stand there with your heart in your throat, then stop flopping at all. DEAD, you think! As you try to gather your wits to figure out what to do, and what may have happened—Predator attack? Sudden illness? Are there any survivors?—they may start flopping again, and you think with horror, “Sweet suffering babies, the poor things are still alive!”
Even sun bathing, while not quite so violent-looking as dust bathing, can be more than a little disturbing. I remember walking out into the yard one summer day to come across something that stopped my breath.

Like Scarlett O’Hara viewing the casualties from the Battle of Atlanta, when I saw the scope of the devastation, my heart dropped. Everyone lay on their sides, wings askew, all lined up unmoving, like casualties of war

But my worst terror was my very first!

A little background, first. Hatching a batch of baby chicks is, in itself, very stressful, and especially so if it’s your first. In the “olden days,” I had a simple styrofoam-type incubator without a fan or egg turner. Waiting 21 days is always excruciating, and this first time I was so worried that I would do something wrong, or that the temperature would spike, or that the power would go out, or that one of the million bad things that could happen, would happen. As it turned out, I had an okay hatch for a beginner trying with shipped eggs: 8 out of 18. I was so relieved! After the chicks had mostly dried, I put them in their warm, safe prepared brooder. Then I went back to candle the remaining eggs to see if any additional chicks would be forthcoming, perhaps late. However, there was nothing. So, I discarded the undeveloped eggs, sanitized the incubator, cleaned up and went back into the brooder room to see how everyone was doing. I was so relieved after three weeks of worry that I was actually successful at hatching my own chicks in a home incubator.

But, DISASTER! The chicks were unmoving. They looked as if they’d been scattered into the brooder, just tossed, and lay in various awkward positions as if dead. One of them actually lay belly up, its little twiggy legs in the air.

Tell me this wouldn't terrify you.

I took a few moments to get a hold of myself, and then finally I reached into the brooder tearfully and with a shaky hand to remove the dead babies, horrified, wondering how I’d killed them. My mind went over everything; I had checked the temperature of the brooder just 20 minutes ago, and it still looked good. Could the thermometer be so off? Had they died of some illness? Was there something wrong with the food? But as my hand touched the first one, it jumped up with a surprised peep, and rushing through the brooder, awakened and refreshed, it roused all the others. They began running around as if nothing had happened at all.

Even the one on its back.

They were fine. In fact, they’d just been asleep in the warmth of the heat lamp. And as I watched them for a while trying to catch my breath and get a hold of myself, they one by one plopped over again to sleep… with the same one rolling over on its back. WHAT?
So, okay. Apparently that’s normal after all.
Now, after having had my chickens for years, I seldom get too worried unless something is actually wrong. (I’m kind of afraid to say that; will it jinx me?) But what unreasonable terrors did YOU had with your chickens when you first started? I’ve only covered three. Please share your own story in the comments!

inShare1
Author: Lissa
Filed Under Category: Baby Chicks, Chicken Behavior, Chickens, Uncategorized
Article

Oh Gods, that's so true. My husband has come running to pronounce our chicks and chickens dead so many times, I just roll my eyes at him. So far they've had SEIZURES (dust bathing), all died of heat stroke (sun bathing), been violently attacking each other (mating), died of overheated brooder (basking in the heat) and sick in bed (brooding). Poor city boy.

I've even had to warn the farmhands, housesitters and even a few friends who have run back in the house yelling in horror after going out to sneak a peak in the brooder. Nothing seems to assure them its perfectly normal. I even get calls from worried neighbors who are concerned that all of our chickens have apparently gone out into our driveway and mysterious died in the late afternoon sun of our driveway.

Lovemybabies that's hilarious!
lau.gif
And yes, dust bathing looks like they're having seizures!!

I just got back...from trading in our 2 vehicles for MY NEW CAR! So excited, it's a Subaru Tribeca, perfect for me and the kiddos :)

Oh Gods, that's so true. My husband has come running to pronounce our chicks and chickens dead so many times, I just roll my eyes at him. So far they've had SEIZURES (dust bathing), all died of heat stroke (sun bathing), been violently attacking each other (mating), died of overheated brooder (basking in the heat) and sick in bed (brooding). Poor city boy.

I've even had to warn the farmhands, housesitters and even a few friends who have run back in the house yelling in horror after going out to sneak a peak in the brooder. Nothing seems to assure them its perfectly normal. I even get calls from worried neighbors who are concerned that all of our chickens have apparently gone out into our driveway and mysterious died in the late afternoon sun of our driveway.
hahahahahahahha! ---- yea I had to check our babies now & then... they looked very dead... when the one first started "lamp" bathing... my mom thought it had broken its leg...LMAO....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom