Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another drizzly icky day....................
Our lumber order goes out tomorrow & delivery may be next week Thursday, not sure.
Today we decided we'd go back to M&D's in Elma & make Dad 2 mini green houses over his raised beds of tomatoes, that are not happy in the rain.
See ya all later !!!!!!!!

And CR::::::::::: I really want to know where the massive swarm came from...there is NO houses out here....what is here is a few abandoned small farm houses.no sign of bees anywhere.
I wish we could capture this swarm.....but they are out in the deep woods, so probably never see them again.
sad.png

Strong swarm though...somewhere close by there must be a very healthy & very large wild hive.
idunno.gif

How far (typically) do swarms travel from their old home to a new home before the queen tires ?
They most likely came from inside a tree. NORMALLY they won't go much beyond a couple hundred yards. See the queen is not in condition to fly much. She will make one mating flight and then spend the rest of her life in the hive laying 1000's of eggs everyday! Of course bees don't always read the same books we do, so some times they do some really weird stuff (by our standards). Speaking of I got a call and will be going to catch a swarm here in a couple hours.
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
So I just talked to the lady I am getting my "EE's" from and our scheduals are not matching up this week so I have to wait untill Monday. Oh well, also I found out that one of them is an Araucana rumpless and she may be willing to trade strate across two hens for my two speckeld Hamburgs. I am sure I will come home with more than just those two if she trades me.

Began drawing up a design for a new coop! Right now they are in a 5x9 coop, but my plans are for a building that is 10x20 that will house the coop, a storage room and a trukey coop. The chicken area will be 10x12, with a sliding glass door for main entry, a door (with chicken door) for accsess to the run and a door that leads into the sotrage room. From the storage room you can accsess the turkey coop. Not finnished yet but close, then have to figure out how to get my hands on "extra" money to afford it lol. It's not much but I thought I would share.

Just barely keeping up here. Too many things out of my control that are currently worrying or frustrating me. Then even though I can't control them I feel guilty wasting my time online...

I'm loving everyone's stories though - Aww... the Easter Egger Sexing Tips and Tricks thing was pretty funny. Reminds me of when my daughter found catnip in a margarine tub when she was in 5th or 6th grade and nearly had a nervous breakdown over it in school because she was sure her parents were stoners. Thank goodness my aunt was the principal of the school at the time. She had Lily calmed down pretty quickly. Poor kids.

14 chicks in the brooder still growing like crazy. I caught one of the 2 1/2 week old Seramas grabbing the other teeny tiny Serama cockerel by the neck and making the poor baby cry this morning. Darn boys, already playing boys games.

Quick question: I have a mother/daughter duo who are in the process of their first coop build. We recently did a long consult and they decided they were ready for their first flock. They're debating whether or not to insulate their coop. I told them I didn't think it was necessary in this area, (Tacoma, Lakewood). But I'm wondering how many of us do have insulated coops?

Insulation in your part of the state is not necessary. Drafts are bad tho - so keep that in mind. As long as you can provide the chooks with protection from the wind and rain, they will do quite well. One additional thing to keep in mind is ventilation. IMHO, it is more important in the winter when the birds spend more time indoors. If you see condensation inside the coop, you don't have enough air exchange. Make more vents.

Dave

Yeah, you don't need insulation. My 4 week old chicks are out in the coop now, Everett WA, and have been without supplemental heating since memorial day weekend! And for the first decade of chicken ownership, the birds slept out in a tractor style coop under a plain tarp. Insulation is excessive, but do give good ventilation. They will do fine in our type of cold providing they have air flow.

Reminds me of when my daughter found catnip in a margarine tub when she was in 5th or 6th grade and nearly had a nervous breakdown over it in school because she was sure her parents were stoners. Thank goodness my aunt was the principal of the school at the time. She had Lily calmed down pretty quickly. Poor kids.

Quick question: I have a mother/daughter duo who are in the process of their first coop build. We recently did a long consult and they decided they were ready for their first flock. They're debating whether or not to insulate their coop. I told them I didn't think it was necessary in this area, (Tacoma, Lakewood). But I'm wondering how many of us do have insulated coops?
LMAO at the stoners! But who could blame the kid....catnip can be suspicious looking.

I will be interested in what everyone has to say about the insulated coop. Building our own,right now.

Quote: Some insulate, and some don't. I didn't at first, but then decided to put in that silver bubble type of insulation that they sell in rolls at Home Depot.
I got mine from Pet Smart though. They ship the fish to the store in the insulation bags and most stores will give it to you so it's free. Re-use & Recycle at it's best!
celebrate.gif

My girls never pick at it or try to eat it. I just use a staple gun and it works great!
I don't know that you need to insulate though, I think it is more of a choice.
smile.png

Like others have said, ventilation is the most important thing. Ventilation not drafts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom