Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, now I'm suffering from glass bead chicken math as well as the real thing!
th.gif

yuckyuck.gif

My white Leghorn is limping. She is sitting a lot, still eating and drinking like normal. When standing she holds her leg up. No visible injuries or sores, no redness, no black spot on the bottom. Do I just wait and see if she gets any better? She was not limping yesterday, and I don't *think* she was limping this morning. I saw her around noon'ish and I noticed she was acting strange, but I couldn't investigate right then. Help! She's my favorite hen!

My big 'ol Light Brahma got hurt when she was younger. She had a leg injury. I was able to nurse her back to health in a chicken chair. It was so bad, she couldn't stand on it at all, and wasn't even strong enough to hop. We were afraid we were going to have to cull. Gratefully, we didn't. Here's the thread, maybe it will help you: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/667767/help-please-sick-chick-or-injured-chick-w-pictures

One thing that's kind of cool about nursing one back to health - it changes the relationship big time. She's my lovey, dovey sweetheart and we developed a bond through the experience. Now, she's just fine and can walk, run and play. She's my bestest chicken buddy!

OMG! Someone please correct me if I am wrong... isn't the scuttle fly the fly they are INTENTIONALLY importing, hatching and releasing in Texas in an attempt to eradicate fire ants? The fly they are using in Texas does the exact same thing to the fire ant.

When I saw the documentary on using flies to eradicate the fire ants, I turned to my husband and said that this does not sound like a good idea at all... it sounded like an invitation to disaster. The scientists are trying to breed as many flies as possible to let free into the states.

It sounds like it IS the same fly!

"The phorid flies which are USDA accepted do not attack native ants or species. Farmers and ranchers have been prepared to allow researchers to utilize their land to set up colonies. They can frequently be recognized by their habit of escaping by running in a speed across a surface than to use wing. This behavior gave them a different name Scuttle fly."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom