Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the rats stay away from our shed/coops because 4 cats live inside the shed. The cats have been around longer than the chickens, though.

in other news, I have a new baby, hatched this morning! Yay! and momma is loving on it
smile.png
Such a cutie. I was thinking she wouldn't want it because she didn't with her last hatch, so I also put a few other eggs under her that aren't due until next week. Yeah, I'm going to have to get out the bator and put those eggs on lockdown in there, I guess. Either that, or I'm going to have to remove the baby from momma for a week. What would you all do??

Were you up with your chickens this AM?

Hi

New to BYC. We're up near Maple Falls. Currently hoping the predicted storm will be somewhat of a washout.
We're back into chickens again. We have 5 RIR bantams, and 3 Silkies in the brooders. We should have another 5 RIR bantams tomorrow around noon or so.
We chose RIR bantams because we had the full-scale version at one time. When we added cracked corn to the layer ration, it was
100% egg production. If we get 75% production from our new bunch it will be OK with us. The bantams with free range capability should
cut the feed bill by over 75%.
My great-aunt and uncle had bantam RIR's during the Great Depression. My great uncle worked for the railroad, and my great-grandfather would go to Auburn Yard and sweep up spilled grain from the cars for the chickens. On the way home he would invite a hobo from the camp to come to my great-aunt and uncle's home for a home-cooked meal and a modest Bible lesson. My great-aunt never lowered her eyes in speaking of those lean times, and a good share of the stories had to do with the bantam RIR's they had. They always had fresh eggs, and the roosters got canned! Now I think I know why the old canning jars were tinted blue- so the shelves didn't look like they were stocked with lab specimens!
We are currently looking for a place where we can do some real gardening. Unfortunately, the ground around here is not suitable for that.
We want to get off the hill and down to some better ground. The idea of having more chickens and a large garden has a calming effect. I cannot pinpoint the reason.
One thing is for certain. Going to a feed store this time of year is certainly incriminating. I cannot get out the door without a box containing little fuzzy creatures. It doesn't matter what I originally went in for. If I can't hear them, I follow my nose, and immediately begin planning an escape of one, then two...
Our original RIR's were started with chick starter, and vitamins and electrolytes. The vitamins were rotated for fresh water during the day.
Brooded indoors so the birds could concentrate the food conversion on stitching together some sturdy animals. It worked.
Doing the same thing again. Looking forward to some productive egg-laying.
If there is a cure for this disease, I don't want it. I don't need it. Besides- the side effects, I hear, are worse than the cure.
Currently building a modular coop- indoors! No shop or garage here. No excuse for not getting a small coop made, either. I'm building the walls and floor. All sawing done outdoors (got enough shavings indoors already!), pieces are fit and screwed together indoors out of the rain. Roof goes on last, after the walls and floor are brought outside. This will be attached to a chicken tractor later. I will be making more chicken tractors this spring and through summer.

So, here's to our chickens- companions, entertainment, agents of soil amendment, and sources of fresh food- who would have thought that such modest investments could bring such great lasting returns?

Cheers

Mountaingrown

Welcome Mountaingrown,
You know you can do a raised garden it does work. I live in rock alley and thats what we do, I use peat moss and goat goodies and chick goodies mix it all up and things do grow. Now I just need to find a way to have the kids eat what I plant, but I have to say I plant new things each year that they havent eaten before anyways..
My mom told me a story about when she was young and they didn’t have any grease for cookies that the neighbor lady would use bacon grease and the cookies tasted great. When times are tough we start thinking don’t we, and I truly believe the tough times are some of the best times it brings us together.

Really would like the rain to go away but DH says no we need the snow...

Hey Zgoat

I'm afraid the recent snows will be quick to go. To get a good snowpack we need to alternate snow and rain at high elevations, then refreeze it into that concrete-like stuff you can walk on. These recent snows and the snow that is almost upon us could really create some
problems a week or more from now if the weather warms up to normal or a bit above with rain.
I would install raised beds, but we are situated in a north-south valley here. The sun rises late and goes to bed early. To complicate
matters, we are surrounded 360 degrees by hemlock trees. There is a small spot that gets direct sun around June 20th for maybe 2 hours.
The ground can't be scratched by a legion of RIR's, unless they were a RIR- T Rex hybrid. Rock up to the size of motorcycles in a clay sand-gravel semi-cement that makes for a good plantation of Douglas Fir.
I get "spring fever" every year, and this year is no exception. I must surrender to my common sense and move to friable bottom land.
I like the smell of freshly turned earth in May, and so do chickens! This is a humanitarian move- for the chickens *and* the humans!

We save all of our bacon grease for cooking, but not cookies. We use lard and butter for cookies. I imagine the bacon grease your mother used was not smoked-however necessity is indeed the mother if invention, and sometimes the mother of bulging wallets!
I just feel a stronger-than-usual urge to get to good ground.

Time to change some shavings!

Mountaingrown

Has anyone seen this CL ad?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/grd/1673073524.html
last day for chicks - $1 (snohomish)
i have over 100 chicks if they are not sold today they will be going to the auction sat. there are a lot of breeds to choose from. all different ages. some need heat some need no heat. give me a call. (360) 568-3210 thank you

Where would this person take them, where is the auction? I saw this ad last week, why would someone have so many then take them to auction?

Quote:
Hi please be carful with those rat traps I have a horrible story My hubby put 1 out at night and didnt tell me it was under a bush by our house Well I let Mama and 2 week old chicks out Hubby gets home at 5 and say Ummmmm honey look what we caught I though Yes Yes Yes a rat Well Nope it was 1 of my babies the most horrible thing I ever saw so now I make sure those rat traps are snapped before the coop gets opend Nasty Rats We are still battling the rats Uggh

Hi Mountiangrown!

I feel your gardening problem! I used to live in glacier springs, and was completely surrounded by trees. I now happily live on the other side of the state, where I get plenty of sunlight. Good luck with your garden adventures. Yet I do miss my good friends in Glacier and Maple Falls.

Where would this person take them, where is the auction? I saw this ad last week, why would someone have so many then take them to auction?

I know that there is some type of small animal auction in Chehalis every Saturday. It's usally advertised on Craigslist every week. That's the only one I know of.

We have 4 chicks hatched and 7 more pips!!!!

Tamara​

I just got back from a 2 hour power outage!

During that crazy time, we had some trees fall, the greenhouse tumble around the yard, over 30 chicks moved into the house, and the incubators sink to 80 degrees, humidity shoot up to 70 percent.

Hope all is well after all that though!

OMG~I am so worried, I have a broody outside in the henhouse, safe enough but the eggs should pip today or tomorrow, so cold !
I have a 100 watt heat lamp several feet above mama, but it is barely warm on your hand at the floor of straw.
Think I should take her chicks after they pip and stick them in the brooder ?
I think if it comes down to the point of the chicks safety, I will take them from her.
I paided for those fertile eggs !
Man, it is insane wind here !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom