Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I watched this on the news the other day. Wasn't there a third attack befor these two...but it did not get the media attention? Did they catch the dogs yet? We had a pack come through our property, here 10 years ago, killed all our chickens (most) and DH pet turkey. We staked the turkey out and waited. 1 shotgun shot (buck shot) killed 4 husky mixes and a stock tank. Later found out that they had been causing lots of trouble in the area - attacked a tied up dog and mauled it pretty good, getting into garbage, person and his little foo-foo dog got cornered by them when owner went to let little dog out to go potty (no one hurt). These dogs were not cornered when DH shot them. They stood their ground and growled at him. AND....they were nto willd or strarving. They had collars on (no tags) and were in good flesh. They were just out to kill. Dogs do this when they get running in packs.

I hope they find out whose dogs they aree (in Tum Tum) and charge them for all the damage - although I saw the little girls on the news taking care of the baby goats...how many of their pets were killed. What a horrible way to have to "learn about death". Those poor animals and those poor children.

Every time we've had damage to cattle and hogs it's been from pet dogs that were let run: once it was a pair of Yorkies who found that they could make the cows run by barking, and stampeded a year's weanlings through two fences. I had a cow down with a displaced pubic symphesis (which cured itself when she went into labor; she went on to have three heifers, all part of my current herd) who lost part of her ears and ended up with a big scar over her tailhead from a friendly, licensed, professionally groomed pair of Golden Retrievers- she was traumatized and when I went out to take care of her she beat the heck out of me with her head, dislocating my knee; later, when she was up, she threw me into an oak tree and wrecked my costal cartilage. My sister lost a cow to a pair of microchipped Red Huskies, one of which turned and attacked my BIL and ended up with a spading fork through its chest. A pitbull grump and her two eight-week-old puppies chewed up a protective cow and ran her 700 pound steer calf through a fence, where he got hit by a guy on a motorcycle.

And a friendly, kid safe Rottweiler killed a dozen of Mom's banties and then jumped into my kids' wading pool to cool off, tongue lolling from his smiling mouth. That one's human victim was the newly transferred, newly divorced SP4 who had to put his only family down because the dog wouldn't stay confined; he chewed through a garage door the second time he got out and came to Mom's house.

We've had so much trouble with the neighbor's dogs that our cows are all dog-sour, and we can't use herding dogs any more. We've thought about LGDs but they are problematic in suburbia, to say the least, and guard llamas didn't help the neighbors.

Now I worry that once again I've started a fresh page with a new anectdote, and it will set there alone for hours and hours...

a friend i know just got back from a weekend trip in sunny san diego. i told him on FB if the sun here suddenly goes away i know who to blame.

well this morning i wake up its cloudy.... i look at the weather report and it says warning .65" of rain on the way..... so i took a screen print and posted it on facebook "Luke i blame you..."

i have a biology exam in 1.5 hours.... i do not think i will do well on it... its biochemistry stuff... and i do not like....

Good morning from lil ole Monroe Wa! My husband an I are a big combined family. I have 4 kids an he has 2. So we have from18 down to 7... uhh saying that out loud is scary..lol So We decided to try raising our own eggs an meat. We have 10 laying hens we just brought home 2 days ago. Got 3 eggs the first day
smile.png
thought that was pretty good considering the ride in a box home. 2 BUff orpingtons, 3 Wyandottes, 4 sexlinks, an 1 Bard rock. Then we have 25 chics 8 Buff, 2 Amaracnas,5 Sussex, 5 Wyandottes, 4 Rhode Island reds, an 1 Bard rock. The chics are almost feathered another 2 wks an I think well kick them out. We plan on butchering 15 or so an keeping the rest for layers. Its been fun when we were picking up the older hens we had our 7 yr convinced that 4 of them were as tall as he was an are attack chickens..hahaha he was glad to see Dad was pulling his leg! Enjoy your chics

I had to talk with my neighbor about her pitbull a few times. And the last time I llet her know that I have the right to protect my animals on my property, and to please not make me have to do that. I don't like killing animals but I will protect what's mine if I have to. I have been really nice, but she seems to think the life of her dog is more important than my chickens, so she was suprised that I would even consider it. I haven't seen her dog or her since, so I think I got my message across.
smile.png

Quote:
One thing I've learned: when it comes to livestock, no breed of dog is safe.

And since I left it out of my unawake blather above: we're dog people. I have, snoring and farting under my feet, a 14YO Border Collie/Austrailian Shepherd and his 13YO daughter, a Chesepeake Cow Retriever. Our dogs are trained to be useful and respectful of domesticated animals. Other people's, not so much.

Hi all! I am excited there is a WA thread. :) We are in the Kitsap area and new to the BYC living. But I am enjoying watching the chickens roam around the backyard. My girls love helping with the chickens and watching them roam while they play outside.

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

Did I count it right at 35??
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
And this is your first time?
gig.gif

You'll fit right in. But be forewarned that there is a very contageous VIRUS called HATCHITITUS floating around our thread and there is no cure.
idunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom