Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Just for the record. I do have a slug bait that is safe for everyone else....
....take a cool whip bowl...fill it about 1/2 full of beer. submerge the bowl in the ground partially, try to cover with room to get under the cover...SLUGS LOVE BEER. They fall in and drown. This is great slug bait.

Is this Washington version of Tequila?
Did you give the slugs to your chickens?
gig.gif

I never thought of doing that. Drunk chickens? Hmmmm, that would be funny.

But really, it is a great slug method removal. Take a cool whip bowl, partially burry it in the dirt in your garden. If it is raining....place rocks around the burried bowel, then on top of the rocks place a small piece of board. Fill the cool whip bowl half way full of beer. Now sit back and wait for the slugs. They fall in and drown. I use this method almost every year. But....

....I have never give the slugs to the chickens. Wonder if it would be okay to do. I think they would love them. The beer would be flat by them. On a serious note...would the alcohol be out by then?

ETA: Oh... we love the REAL teuilla, here in WA state. Not going for the fake stuff.
gig.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Its an electric saw. like a bigger version of a jig saw, but with a bigger blade. Fun tool. Runs about $20+ at Harbor Freight.
Looks like a good garden but you know we only have another 60 days before it starts to snow right?
gig.gif

We don't even have a jigsaw. Not sure which I will get, or if I'll use a big bread knife to make the cuts - I have 3 of them!

You may have a point there, and I have already spent more than I would have had I just gone to the farmers market for my fresh foods!

I started a bunch of seed trays, killed them all when I took them outside. Yesterday I bought 3 flats of starts, and today I re-potted them all into bigger pots as the soil in my garden is nothing but thick mud. If I till it now, it will only compact more. My hanging flower baskets will all be filled with lettuce, radishes and other veggies this year - flowers are priced way too high this year, even at Ace! I wish I had overwintered my fuschias
hit.gif

Quote:
I'd feel that way if it was my RIR or Australorps, and they were my 2 cheapest feed store chicks, so sweet though, and great egg layers. The 2 best of my flock! They are also kinda like the W-Fart greeters for anyone entering my backyard.

Quote:
when it's your favorite or one of them, or a pet, it's not "JUST A CHICKEN"

grief is appropriate ...
hugs.gif

x2, it's never 'just a...'

Exactly. I've only had my girls for a couple of months but am very attached to all of them. Sounds like she's going to have a nice funeral.

Quote:
A lady in our neighborhood raises orphaned raccoons. She then releases some of them here and they become pests. She released 72 one year! They have learned that 2 big dogs live on our place and stopped coming around. I'm afraid now that there are chickens here they might become a problem again. Hopefully they are not brazen enough to come out during the day.

Does anyone know if they can climb chain link?

FYI:
I had a girlfriend in CA that raised an orphaned coon in her home.
The critter watched her make MrCoffee every morning & then pack her lunch & then she locked him in a big crate & went to work.
One morning she was super sick with a flu, shut off the alarm, and went back to sleep.
Rascal, who slept in a ball at her feet, woke up, went to the kitchen, pored coffee all over the counter & sat there waiting for it to brew...then he proceeded to make a mess making a lunch with saran wrap & fruit, and when she woke up hours later the little booger had made such a mess trying to help!

That's so sweet! Those darn pests sure can be endearing when you don't have cats or chickens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom