Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most Californians that come here in this state, go rural, totally.
Why bother to move so far just to be in yet another city ?

I thought they came here because of the cheaper houses and tech jobs...?

I lived in southern CA for five years (Orange County) and there is a definite difference between city dwellers there and here (particularly drivers, if nothing else). I went back for a visit a couple of weeks ago, and man, did that feel weird, in many ways.

Here are a couple of pics of my younger birds....

I think the one in the front left is the one I mentioned earlier with the "bustle" looking rear end. It's a little hard to tell in these pics though. No one answered me on that...is that type of feathering unusual? Would it be against some standard for someone who was trying to breed Orpingtons? I'm inclined to keep her anyway, just because she's less flighty than the other birds. I was just curious.

Quick question for y'all: What are your favorite chicken books? RIght now I have:
A Chicken in Every Backyard (from a pacific northwestern chicken farmer in Portland, by far my favorite chicken book so far!)
Chick Days (bought it for my kids to be able to see what to expect during the baby times with our chickies
Storey's Guide to Keeping Chickens (so far it's been the most comprehensive guide)
The Joy of Keeping Chickens (sucked...it's for big time farmers, not backyard chickeners like myself)

Basically, I really like being an expert at stuff I get involved in. I would like to start collecting chicken books and come up with a little library on my kitchen shelf of great resources. I know I already want The Chicken Health Handbook but can't think of others that I know will be really good resources. Thanks all!

Treated the girls to half a cup of air popped popcorn today and they went nuts! Super cute stuff going on, I love the chase!

So...I just realized I need some more info on deep littering my girls. I have been adding shavings every few days to cover over the poop and make a new layer but didn't realize I needed to stir it until I kinda fell on some info somewhere else. The coop has been just a little stinky (NO ammonia, just slightly poo smelling) the last few days and I thought "deep litter isn't supposed to stink like this so soon!" so I'm glad I read that. I took the rake out there and literally raked it all into a big pile in the middle then spread it back out again and I can't believe how compressed it had gotten. Now the girls have a very stink-free fluffy coop again. What else do I need to know about deep litter?
I'm no expert on deep litter, and not quite sure where to send you, but one thing I learned is to toss some scratch and weeds on top of it. I tend to use hay, that's what is available locally. They love the weed seeds.

About the Californian thing:

It was the thing to do to bash Californians ever since way back at least to when I was in elementary school in the 70's. I knew no Californians, not one, but that's what we did. I have no idea where it started from.

I love California, I love E Wash. I love Seattle and now I love the South Sound. Everywhere has good people and bad.

Goodnight!

Thanks SS! Today I tossed some freeze-dried corn (just one handful) onto the litter and they went nuts. I'll have to start taking weeds from the garden and tossing them in too! We have a GIANT garden plot completely overrun with weeds right now...perfect for our needs
barnie.gif

Here are a couple of pics of my younger birds....

I think the one in the front left is the one I mentioned earlier with the "bustle" looking rear end. It's a little hard to tell in these pics though. No one answered me on that...is that type of feathering unusual? Would it be against some standard for someone who was trying to breed Orpingtons? I'm inclined to keep her anyway, just because she's less flighty than the other birds. I was just curious.

Orpingtons I noticed do have the "Bustles" - Some more so than others.... even ours is starting to get hers....
Examples:

http://www.jubileeorpingtons.co.uk/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/IMGP0009.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...n_chicken_2.jpg/250px-Orpington_chicken_2.jpg

"bustle" could also be Cochin as well... not sure about any other breed tho.......

Hope that helps in "Some way"... -- least I tried

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom