Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are a few pics of my Silkie babies. I took them with my phone so they aren't great. ADN the little buggars weren't too happy about having their pictures taken.
These two are the fluffiest and the biggest.

These next two I call the twins, and they are still working on being fluffier. Lol!

They are so cute and I find mysefl sitting down to watch and forgetting how much time is going by!

Have a great weekend everyone!
They are soooooo cute! Oh my heck!!
love.gif

Well, this website answered one of the questions lurking in my mind... free-range or chicken tractor? Looks like there's going to be a need for a chicken tractor. I plant way too many ornamentals that are toxic to chickens. I also need to go weed the greenhouse! Darn it. My birds have been out there with chickweed in there.
barnie.gif

http://www.poultryhelp.com/toxicplants.html

Edited to add... good thing I pulled the flats out when the birds started flying and landing on them. I had 2-1/2 flats of bleeding hearts in there.
ep.gif
Oooops. Meant "Love Lies Bleeding" (Amaranthus caudatus). Whew! *Might* have been safe afterall. There are other "Amaranthus" on the toxic list.

Last edited:

I hope this is a better pic she just wanted to be left alone this am to eat not have some crazy lady follow her with a camera. I personally think she is huge. My husband is the one who named her Pretty Girl! lol!
Today with the sun being out I think today the girls and I are gonna enjoy the sun! LOL! I have my fingers crossed that they all start feeling better! I think right now a little vitamin D will help us all!

Well, this website answered one of the questions lurking in my mind... free-range or chicken tractor? Looks like there's going to be a need for a chicken tractor. I plant way too many ornamentals that are toxic to chickens. I also need to go weed the greenhouse! Darn it. My birds have been out there with chickweed in there.
barnie.gif

http://www.poultryhelp.com/toxicplants.html

Edited to add... good thing I pulled the flats out when the birds started flying and landing on them. I had 2-1/2 flats of bleeding hearts in there.
ep.gif
Oooops. Meant "Love Lies Bleeding" (Amaranthus caudatus). Whew! *Might* have been safe afterall. There are other "Amaranthus" on the toxic list.
Well, just great. I have azaleas, rhodies, daffodills, lupines, sweet peas, columbine, hydrangea all over the place here. To include bleeding hearts that grow wild all over my 8 acres. The birds (all free range) seem to be fine around them - I'm not about to re-landscape my whole yard. Also, I have leftover onions and garlic growing in my 'garden' (I didn't plant anything this year because it's become their dirt bathtub) and they are leaving those alone, too. I had no idea they weren't supposed to eat onions or cabbage/kale! I was just told not to feed them onions or garlic because it makes the eggs taste funny! So, I guess that chickens are smart enough to leave these plants alone?

well today a total of 10 birds in the brooder. one has a topknot of fluff. It is so dang cute... the silkie chick has 5 toes on 1 foot and 4 on the other. who knows with these birds. Most likely they are mixed breed. My friend does not keep her birds seperated for breeding. Me I haven't started setting any of my eggs yet. Not until I have things set up so I know what I'm getting. Eggs for now are for eating. lol

Only thing I do know for sure is the turkey babies are Narangansett's. Unless the girl was getting bred by the chickens...but I doubt that one very highly.

All my ducks are still too young and haven't even started getting the idea of breeding yet...

I can't wait to see how these chicks grow and what they will end up looking like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom