Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is going to be picture heavey!

These are the baby silkie chicks:

There is one white, two black with white feather tips, two light grey and one dark grey!

Next are the new girls I just picked up:

I thought I was getting a rumpless Araucana but she was the normal brown, even though the rumpless thing is cute I wanted a bit more unique to me! So here they are, they are so very perrrrrrtyyyy!

ADORABLE BABIES! AND BEAUTIFUL new chickens! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!

My broody came out to get a drink, so I checked out the nest situation. It was a huge mess. She had broken 4-5 eggs, and a lot of the stuff was stuck to her underside. (She left a trail of eggs as she left the nest). I made a warm bath in the brooder tub and stuck her in it. Surprisingly, she did not protest or try to fly out. I don't have time to get her completely dry now, because I have to go pick up DS from school and then have an afterschool event to attend. Should I clean her up again or dry her later tonight? I cleaned up the nest (but didn't do anything to the eggs except move them around). So she's back in it now, with wet feathers and underside.

Sorry to hear =( Inexperienced broody hens have this happen much more than the experienced ones. If the nest is mostly clean and she's mostly dry - I'd leave her be. Thankfully it's not too cold out there.

Under our inexperienced broody hen, one of four eggs was cracked at seven days in. I saw a chick developing,
sad.png
And this morning I had to move her to a different nest because she decided not to leave her eggs to poo
sickbyc.gif
Thankfully it missed the eggs, but I got to clean up the wall.

Yesterday, I was gone for a while, one of the three Blue Marans eggs that are supposed to hatch on Wednesday just disappeared without a trace. No blood, no yolk, nothing. Sigh. I know it was likely not fertile in the first place and eaten by Juno, but I was really hoping for three little chicks on Wednesday! We'll just hope there are two, otherwise I'll get her some chicks from a feed store as she's been sitting too long.

So this really makes me mad. I just spent the last 4 hours typing and taking and loading pictures to a my chickens page that I have been thinking about doing for the past week, when I put another picture on it went into the wrong place so I right clicked on it to delete it but there was no delete so I hit backspace as I thought it was highlighted...... Nope, it took my computer back to the start page and all that work is gone!
he.gif

Quote: I for the life of me can't remember what the lady said it was or the other one eather. LOL but I think it is a jungle fowl.

Hey guys I need help My BO, Bertha has gone broody... She has been for the last 4 days... Tonight I left 3 eggs under her they are a mix of everyone eggs. I am not sure if they are fertile or not as I havent seen him do his duty but question is should I move her into my little coop away from the other hens because she is in one of my 3 nesting boxes or just leave her be? I never had a broody hen before kinda excited
celebrate.gif

Hey guys I need help My BO, Bertha has gone broody... She has been for the last 4 days... Tonight I left 3 eggs under her they are a mix of everyone eggs. I am not sure if they are fertile or not as I havent seen him do his duty but question is should I move her into my little coop away from the other hens because she is in one of my 3 nesting boxes or just leave her be? I never had a broody hen before kinda excited
celebrate.gif
I know it's not recommended, but I just leave 'em where they sit. Other ladies lay on top of her sometimes, but I just clean out the fresh eggs. When the babies are fluffed, I put momma and babies on the floor of the coop near food and water since our boxes are raised. The seem to do fine.

Surprise!

I put an egg that was abandoned by another broody under our ever-broody EE. She's a mean broody and pecks at me when I grab eggs to candle, and a little bit ago she pecked the egg as I pulled it out. It bled from a huge crack, but stopped fairly quickly. I kept expecting the candling to show no movement, but time after time it was still going in there. This afternoon I went out to candle it again and instead found a peeping head looking back at me! Must've hatched an hour or so before I saw it. Wow! Only problem is the mean broody is a mean momma now, pecking at me still. She's not getting any eggs anymore! All the other broodies have let me handle eggs and babies with no more than an occasional screech. Sheesh!

Sorry to hear =( Inexperienced broody hens have this happen much more than the experienced ones. If the nest is mostly clean and she's mostly dry - I'd leave her be. Thankfully it's not too cold out there.

Under our inexperienced broody hen, one of four eggs was cracked at seven days in. I saw a chick developing,
sad.png
And this morning I had to move her to a different nest because she decided not to leave her eggs to poo
sickbyc.gif
Thankfully it missed the eggs, but I got to clean up the wall.

Yesterday, I was gone for a while, one of the three Blue Marans eggs that are supposed to hatch on Wednesday just disappeared without a trace. No blood, no yolk, nothing. Sigh. I know it was likely not fertile in the first place and eaten by Juno, but I was really hoping for three little chicks on Wednesday! We'll just hope there are two, otherwise I'll get her some chicks from a feed store as she's been sitting too long.
My first time broody is down to two eggs...one went MIA like yours, and two were smashed. We'll see if anything develops.
Here's hoping you get your chickies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom